PDA

View Full Version : Leopard 40 holding tanks

azib
26th August 2009, 05:16 AM
Question about the holding tanks. 100L is pretty small for a cruiser... is it possible to upgrade the size?

Tulliana
26th August 2009, 01:22 PM
Question about the holding tanks. 100L is pretty small for a cruiser... is it possible to upgrade the size?
Although I have an L46 not 40 I would say not unless you want to put in an additional tank somewhere. The space in the heads is quite limited so you would have to be very creative to increase their size.
From our experience the existing 100L tank lasts about 4 to 5 days with 2 people using it so not too bad.

azib
26th August 2009, 03:49 PM
What does one do on long passages greater >5 days?

Tulliana
26th August 2009, 03:59 PM
What does one do on long passages greater >5 days?

If you are greater than 3 miles offshore you dump it.

You only use the holding tanks when in a marina or anchorage. If in a marina only use the tanks for fluids everything else use the facilities ashore. Every 4 or 5 days go for a sail until you are outside of the specified distance for that country and then dump it. Most Med marinas do not have pump out facilities so this is the only way you can do it.

azib
26th August 2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the info, I've mainly been island hopping all summer in the Great Lakes. No dumping allowed anywhere here. :)

lhsmith
4th November 2009, 04:04 AM
I think that holding tank size is a valid issue when this boat is used as a cruiser. I have a 33 gal tank on my present boat, and it has to be pumped more often than I would like. There are certainly times when going offshore is simply not an option.
One potential solution is a composting toilet, which has no flushing water and thus requires a smaller holding tank. Haven't found anyone willing to discuss their experiences with one yet, however.