PDA

View Full Version : Just to get the DazCat forum started...

Boreades
24th September 2009, 06:57 PM
Their website is here:
http://www.dazcat.co.uk/

miki
23rd October 2010, 09:31 PM
I had a demo sail of the 1150 at the Southampton boat show. In 24 to 25 knots and flat water it creamed along at almost 20 knots. It looks and is a superb cruiser racer. I love the fact there is no crossbeam and no massive high freeboard. Sleek and racy. Not a condomaran. If you want good looks and to sail fast this is the boat for you.

Miki

Talbot
24th October 2010, 09:29 AM
A fun boat especially for coastal stuff.

You call it a cruiser racer. I think the emphasis should be much more slanted towards the racer aspects.

3Psuite
25th October 2010, 09:23 PM
Here is a link to one that is going to do both

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTMUPkawD0I&feature=related

Notice the rope rigging and carbon mast

Catcruiser27
13th February 2011, 04:41 PM
Would you go on a world cruise on a 1195? :confused:

multihullsailor6
13th February 2011, 06:52 PM
Would you go on a world cruise on a 1195? :confused:

Having been on a Dazcat 1195 and seen her around Plymouth my answer is a very definitive "YES":D

Catcruiser27
13th February 2011, 08:26 PM
Having been on a Dazcat 1195 and seen her around Plymouth my answer is a very definitive "YES":D

Hmm, interesting. I canīt really judge from Youtube videoīs and the Dazcat website how big or small everything is. I can see they are brilliant sailing vessels, but the cockpit seems small to me, so does the actual living space (narrow hulls). But I just need to go and see one for real I suppose.
Not to keen about not having a crossbeam though. I know why they do that, but I would like to have something there... Whatīs your view on that multihullsailor6?

multihullsailor6
13th February 2011, 10:03 PM
Hi Catcruiser27,

Darren Newton, the designer of the Dazcat range, isn't the only one who has termined it safe that a forward crossbeam is not needed on a modern design - I know that the French designer Erik Lerouge also has some designs without a forward crossbeam. That said, I also know that some years back Pete Goss' cat "Team Philipps" had some structural problems apparently due to no crossbeam and flexing and "bad construction".

On my cat off Dunkerque, France I have burried into seas with the crossbeam being deep underwater and in that situation I surely would have wished to have less "water resistance". Those seas, by the way, also destroyed one of my forward trampolines which was of the wide webbing type, since changed to a "no resistance" open net mesh type.

Catcruiser27
14th February 2011, 04:15 PM
Yes, I can see advantages for not having a crossbeam, but I wouldnīt feel very safe in say heavy weather and having to "work" there. Somehow a crossbeam feels more safe.
Erik Lerouge also has cats with a very large (bowed) crossbeam and no downtensioners. So the whole forestay pulls on the crossbeam. I also looked at Ksenia cats, hence I noticed this.
Oh well, I will keep looking. But the Dazcats do rock my boat!

downunder
10th May 2011, 05:50 AM
i like the look of the dazcat Open Ocean 47 !

Catcruiser27
29th May 2011, 11:28 AM
I am actually visiting Dazcat/Multimarine near Plymouth Tuesday and Wednesday of this coming week! Have to see what it is all about and whether or not a Dazcat is a "go" or "no go". I am also hoping to drive to Falmouth, where the 1195 is.
A 1395 is being built at this very moment, so that is also interesting to see.

Catcruiser27
7th June 2011, 05:31 PM
See my Dazcat visit comments here: http://www.multihulls4us.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2028

Nordic
7th June 2011, 11:08 PM
I have always liked most of the Dazcat designs, but the saloon/coachroof on the left picture just doesn't cut it for me...the hulls ar all curvy and then they stick a "box" on top of them??

Catcruiser27
8th June 2011, 08:03 AM
Yes Nordic, youīre right.
However, the good news is: you donīt have to!
I.e. the 14 metre cat (white in photo) has the canopy of a 10 metre Dazcat fitted. But....how much space and standing room do you require.
And, it is still a lot lower profile than any other cat I know off with standing head room in the lounge area.
But sailing wise...my god, it is a seriously good sailing cat.

multihullsailor6
8th June 2011, 08:38 PM
Catcruiser27,
How did you like the sailing experience with a non-front-crossbeam cat? What had the owner to report on this issue?

Catcruiser27
9th June 2011, 09:03 AM
Hi MHS6,

We talked about it extensively and I concluded that in the end it only gives extra weight in the bow and a higher risk of tripping this boat.
You have to see it in the whole design context though, as this is a fast cat, with a much lower hull profile, it is the correct decision made by Dazcat not to have the crossbeam. And....you donīt miss it or need it either. I know of first hand experience now.

Also the hull configuration is much stiffer than say a Catana (remotely comparable, as it also has daggerboards and claims to be a good sailing cat). One of the tests they do is to put a jack under the most forward point of the hull and start jacking it up. Most Dazcats will start lifting the other hull between 1.5 and 2,5 cm (2,5 being the worst recorded by Dazcat). With the Catana it was 25cm!!! I think the new Catanas have improved now, with the use of more carbon, which was extensively shown at the last Palma boatshow. Shows there obviously was a problem in that area.
But Dazcat donīt build a cat around an interior where 3 or 4 bathrooms are needed or walk around beds etc. It is the other way around. Everything is functional and aids to the whole construction.
By this I am not slating any other cat, but it is just what you are looking for and for what purpose. I can imagine the bulk of people wouldnīt go for a Dazcat. I would, because it exactly ticks my boxes for my plans.

Tropic Cat
9th June 2011, 10:14 AM
I'm not qualified to comment on the structural integrity of these boats. However, removing the crossbeam from the design has other ramifications. It appears you then lose the entire forward 1/3 of the boat commoning used for the admiral's sunroom or just hanging about. Not to mention having a solid platform to deal with a jammed furler or stuck anchor.

Also, people forget that in the life of any boat, 99% of it's life is at anchor / mooring or at the dock. I like lounging on the foredeck, it's part of the charm of owning a cruising catamaran.

To each, their own...

Catcruiser27
9th June 2011, 04:25 PM
Tropic cat: what are you going on about? You still have the trampolines like any other catamaran, so all the things you intend to do are "as usual".
The crossbeam is not a heavy alu beam, but a wire. That it the only difference.

Catcruiser27
9th June 2011, 04:55 PM
Tropic Cat, here a picture, so you can see and it will make clear to you how this works. OK?

Cheerio!

Tropic Cat
10th June 2011, 12:34 AM
It would be quite an experience cutting down a stuck jib in 50 knots of wind and 10 foot seas with that rig!!

I agree with Talbot, this appears to be a racer. It's the very same setup used in the new America Boats.

Catcruiser27
10th June 2011, 07:09 AM
That is always the standard argurment of most people in traditional craft, same like the eternal Bavaria discussion about ocean crossings.
You, like a lot of other people, rather sail a bomb proof, sluggish caravan for this maybe occassion you end up in a storm AND a stuck sail. It might never happen. Whereas I rather be sailing properly and fast for 99% of all the other times in a beautifully sailng and balanced craft and accept it might be a little more wet when something gets stuck, if it ever gets stuck.
Also I would much rather sail a Dazcat (or a Privilege for that matter) in 50 knots of wind with large waves than your Catalac.
As you said, each to their own.

SteveH
10th June 2011, 09:14 AM
Having had the front cross beam broken by large waves on a Wharram, I like the idea of no cross beam. Also when it is that rough and you have a problem in the bows you don't want to be there with or without a cross beam - you just have to get on with it!

Tropic Cat
10th June 2011, 09:18 AM
That is always the standard argurment of most people in traditional craft,,,,

Yes it is, and I'd like to point out that, at least in my case, there's a reason. We have years of catamaran sailing experience in all conditions and know what works and what doesn't. I've had bad things happen out there, and had to deal with them. I can't help feeling that if you had as well, you wouldn't be arguing the point.

That's all I'm going to say on the matter.

Catcruiser27
10th June 2011, 07:27 PM
Quote: Yes it is, and I'd like to point out that, at least in my case, there's a reason. We have years of catamaran sailing experience in all conditions and know what works and what doesn't.

So what catamarans have you sailed then in all these years? As if you are now sailing a Catalac, I am rather curious to be honest.

Anyway, another reason not to have a crossbeam on a cat like a Dazcat 1195 (or 1395 for that matter) is less weight in the fwd end of the boat and less risk of tripping the boat when hurtling down a wave. I suppose on a Wharram not as important from the weight point of view, but digging in, is something that can happen to a Wharram too I imagine.

Dazcats have been in several years of the Round Brittain and Ireland races in all sorts of weather, including storms and very heavy seas and not ever had a problem. Says something, doesnīt it.