PDA

View Full Version : Knysna & Marketing moved from maverick Forum

Nordic
23rd October 2009, 11:06 PM
What happened with the Knysna 480?

Flamingo who posts here sometimes had ordered one as far as I remember...

From what I have heard, I think Maverick would be better off handling their customers themselves, or finding a reputable company in the USA to handle their sales over there. I would not want my boat to be associated with the Knysna outfit.

These are maybe harsh words, but I have seen the boats and talked to one of the responsible people - a bit happy go lucky IMO.

Alan

ForumAdmin
24th October 2009, 12:40 AM
What happened with the Knysna 480?
We arranged to film for two days and so decided to come early, go to the boat show and film the Knysna on the way up to St Francis.

At the show it was confirmed we would film on the following Thursday and Friday.

We wasted the first morning because the marketing agent had meetings - then spent a long time having coffee. At about 2 pm we followed the agent to the factory to find it closing down. We were greeted with @I thought it was next Thursday" and we arrived as everyone was leaving!!

The boss there then agreed to show us the boat (Flamingo's boat) which was supposed to be launched before the show and all there was was a bare hull and nothing to film. The agent had driven away as he dropped us off.

We had arranged this in writing and verbally again at the show. Our reason for coming to Cape Town and then up the coast was to fit this two days in.
We then had no choice but to abandon it all - phone ahead and book
ourselves early into St Francis.

We were frankly treated like dirt and have no intention of dealing with the company or their marketing agent ever again.

The filming was not even my idea. I promised a member that I would fit it in months ago and I was keeping my promise at some considerable expense

In contrast we found that Rudi and his wife were delightful people who spent the time to film and understood the situation straight away.We are only to pleased to have brought their boat to the attention of a wider boating public.

IreAneY
24th October 2009, 02:37 PM
Apart from what I hear about StFrancis and R&C, I see a very similar pattern emerging here regarding SA built cats, their companies and service, pre-sale and after sale, pretty bad :mad:and not very ethical :eek:, shame.:(

jkd
24th October 2009, 02:45 PM
Apart from what I hear about StFrancis and R&C, I see a very similar pattern emerging here regarding SA built cats, their companies and service, pre-sale and after sale, pretty bad :mad:and not very ethical :eek:, shame.:(

Since this is a Maverick thread, lets be sure NOT to include them in this statement at this time.:confused:

John

ForumAdmin
24th October 2009, 03:02 PM
The people I bought my previous boat from were British and they gav e deplorable service - they went bust this year after collecting in a lot of money on stage payments.

Another company here in Wales was selling boats tow or three times - that is taking out two or three mortgages on the same boat - they were criminally prosecuted.

Yet another boat business in Wales had to be taken to Court by myself and another in order to get our money back for a plain breach of contract..... they too went bust.

I could no doubt paint the same picture in many countries - there are a high proportion of rogues throughout the world's marine industry. I think that is a fact.

I do not think SA has more or less than other countries.

I do think that SABBEX could do a lot more to weed out the rogues.

IreAneY
24th October 2009, 05:14 PM
Sorry, I should have included Wales as well :D

IreAneY
24th October 2009, 05:16 PM
Nothing against Maverick but I think they should do their own marketing and not use the agents they have appointed, as I do not think they will do them any justice, this is what I was trying to say.

Since this is a Maverick thread, lets be sure NOT to include them in this statement at this time.:confused:

John

paulrack
24th October 2009, 06:20 PM
I cannot comment on what happened in Knysna. I looked for a catamaran for about two years before making my decision. Catmar was great in that process with good advice and honest with the pro's and cons of each boat. As far as manufacturers go I think one has to be careful about sweeping statements putting all manufactures from one country into one pot. In my investigations I have discounted many mainstream builders (including a big one from France) from the most appalling things I have seen go wrong in their boats and the unbelievable attitude towards the buyers. I reckon there are many "new" sailors who buy boats who do not know any better and get ripped. maybe a new thread is needed for this as this is thread drift.

On the price Rudi gives it is in the water antifouled get on and go. I am amazed by some of the pricing you see. Eur 8000 to put antifouling on and put it in the water, crikey do they think we are going to buy a boat and put it in our back garden!

ForumAdmin
24th October 2009, 07:12 PM
Yes, as I am confident that Maverick are a good company - I give notice now that I will soon be moving some messages away from this thread to the Knysna thread unless anyone has objections.

IreAneY
24th October 2009, 08:06 PM
No objections from me, as stated Maverick seem a good company so why not do their own marketing, their product will sell itself to the right customer 100%.:)

The last thing we want is people to get the wrong impression about Maverick just because of certain links. and other names mentioned.

flamingo
29th October 2009, 02:06 AM
Hello fellow forum members.

I have just returned from a trip to Knysna to check on my new 480 and to make choices on a multitude of options, from upholstery fabrics to engine sizes to winch selection to rig issues such as single line reefing( thanks Rudi),etc. I was pleased with everything I saw and hope to include some photos as soon as I figure out the procedure.

It is true there have been some communication issues between the marketing director and the builder, but they are being resolved and have had no effect on the building of my boat.

I would like to suggest that rather than condemn the Knysna builder and marketing director for a lack of communication that has no bearing on the quality of construction and design one should talk to a Knysna owner and get a first hand report on their experience buying a boat from the Knysna Yacht Co.

paulrack
29th October 2009, 10:42 AM
I think that is correct, from what I have observed in my search for a catamaran the owners that I spoke to that have bought Knysna boats have been very happy. I think the 480 just took a lot longer to get the moulds ready than originally thought. I would love to hear about your decisions on the equipment for the 480 as I am going through a similar process with my Maverick. What is your expected launch date and will you be coming through Cape Town with her?

ForumAdmin
29th October 2009, 05:33 PM
would like to suggest that rather than condemn the Knysna builder and marketing director for a lack of communication that has no bearing on the quality of construction and design one should talk to a Knysna owner and get a first hand report on their experience buying a boat from the Knysna Yacht Co.

I have not at anytime queried the quality of the Knysna boats.

I have now been in contact with Kevin the owner of the company and it appears he was not even informed by the marketing chap about our visit and in fact I feel sorry that he was kept so much in the dark. I do not consider the foul up any of his fault but the fact he was kept in the dark makes the actions of the marketing guy even worse!!

We arranged the entire trip to fit in this video - without it we would have gone straight to ST Francis after the show - we had the agreed dates in writing and also confirmed them twice at the show - then I repeat were treated like dirt. We were dropped off at a factory that was closing down for a long weekend after the show! Its was only by luck that we found Kevin there but with nothing to film. They had not even been told about the arrangements!!

I think that The Knysna Boat Company are a bit of a victim in this matter.

We will be in Cape Town for a few weeks in January and providing we only deal with Kevin would be happy to shoot a video if any Knysna 48 is ready and in the vicinity.

seaflair
11th November 2009, 08:54 PM
Flamingo suggests talking to owners who have gone through the process of purchasing a Knysna cat. I placed my order for a Knysna 440 2 years ago after having visited the majority of South African cat builders and having spoken to every delivery skipper I could lay my hands on!

My decision to purchase a Knysna was based on feedback from all these discussions and visits and the final decision was as a result of the reception I received from Kevin at the factory and the immaculate state of his production facilities. My cat was delivered on time in July last year and, bar minor third party issues, has delivered a faultless performance during the 3000nm we have already travelled along the East African Coast. The build quality in my view, and that of the majority of cat owners who have looked at Sea Flair, is exceptional - certainly better than the majority of other cat builders. With regards to warranty items, I have found the factory to be exceptional and Kevin has not hesitated to go out of his way to rectify the few minor problems we have had.

The issue on this thread seems to be related to a lack of communication between the factory and the marketing agent so deal directly with Kevin at the factory!!

Any forum members considering a Knysna are welcome to contact me and view Sea Flair. Once finances permit I will definitely be upgrading to a Knysna 480.

ForumAdmin
11th November 2009, 09:00 PM
I do not think I could have made myself clearer than in my previous post.
Kevin does seem like a nice chap and I have had only good reports about his boats. So I repeat, nothing I have written is critical of the boats and had we heard anything bad we would not have spent so much time and money on arranging a video.

Gulliver
12th November 2009, 06:27 PM
I have just read the saga relating to Knysna Yacht Company & Paul's bad experience. It seems a lack of communication was responsible but I need to add my two cent's worth.

I purchased a Knysna 440 from Kevin in 2005. I had previously kept a Sagitta in Knysna and knew of Kevin. It was largely his reputation as a fastidious, honest guy that lead me to go that route. I have had nothing but outstanding service from him & his staff, right from the outset until the present.

The boat is well proven (having previously been marketted as the St. Francis 44) and I cannot talk highly enough of the treatment we received. This has been corroborated by other owners I have met.

Paul, I hoipe you get a better recption next time. They run a very neat operation. Incidentally, I live in St. Francis so give me a shout next time you are here!

Regards,

Greg West

ForumAdmin
12th November 2009, 06:35 PM
Greg
We are in St Francis from the 19th November for almost a month.
Most days we will be on the boat in the marina so please feel free to drop in on us.

Gulliver
13th November 2009, 03:55 AM
Sounds like the big day is imminent, Paul. I'll see you there, for sure!

Greg

Ocean Rhythm
13th November 2009, 11:36 AM
Good day

I am the very happy owner of a Knysna 440 and would like to comment on a few points in order to set the record straight, although I notice that it is being done by others as well.

Firstly, the marketing agent is not the marketing or any director of Knysna Yacht Company. Nor is he an employee or does he own a single share in the company. Most people who have had dealings with him, think otherwise. Secondly, my boat, Ocean Rhythm, that has been available to show to prospective clients, does not belong to the marketing agent, but 100% to me. Again, many people think otherwise.

I have known Kevin and his dear wife, Rika for almost four years now and have found their integrity to be nothing short of impeccable. They have always gone the extra mile to meet clients needs and to take care of any issues. Often these have been totally beyond their line of duty or responsibility.

It is a fact that Kevin has been the target of a very aggressive, sly and unscrupulous plan to take over his company. This is not speculation, but a fact with bullet proof evidence to back it up. The focus of this attack was to harm his reputation on a wide front, spread concerns about his financial viability, and various other issues. Ironically, this would not have been if he did not have a good product and reputation, making it a very attractive proposition. Problem is, the predator wanted the company for free, or very little.

The reason for the development of the K480 taking so long, was Kevin’s no compromise approach in not accepting anything short of perfection in building the moulds. A tribute to the success of this new boat is Colin Forster’s (an old salt delivery skipper with a few hundred thousand miles behind him) email to Kevin saying “Sailfish (the first Knysna 480, crossing the Mozambique channel on its delivery voyage to the Maldives) is one of the best cats I have ever sailed, if not the best. She is fast (very loaded), smooth and quiet. Kevin, you have a winner here”.

I have no reservation whatsoever in recommending to any one in the market for a cat to pay a visit to the Knysna Yacht Company and speak to Kevin about the 440 or 480.

ForumAdmin
13th November 2009, 11:57 AM
Firstly, the marketing agent is not the marketing or any director of Knysna Yacht Company. Nor is he an employee or does he own a single share in the company. Most people who have had dealings with him, think otherwise.

We were led to understand that he owned (at least partly) three the three companies and had a large part in the design of the boats.... !!!

I have already stated that I think Kevin was a victim in this matter and if there was an opportunity to film a Knysna boat whilst we were in St Francis port in the next three to 4 weeks or when in Cape Town we would happily try to fit that in and post the video here.

Catatude
29th January 2010, 03:25 PM
Hi Guys, just stumbled across this blog and website.
I took delivery of my Knysna 440 named Catatude in December 2009 and am really impressed with the quality of the product and the sailing charactaristics of the 440, the bridgedeck clearance can be a bit of a problem when beating, but the speed,handeling,finishes,quality outways the clearance, and"walla" now there is the 48 which definitally does not have a clearance problem.
Yes we have had warantee problems with our yacht like with any boat/car/ airplane that has high end systems that do go wrong, the difference here is the Knysna Yacht Company and particularly Kevin the owner "bends over backwards" so to speak to sort out the problems with a smile on his face, a rare quality in this day and age, and expecially in the boat building business.
The common thread reading all the blogs seems to be the so called marketing manager, here is my story.
I phoned Kevin at the Knysna Yacht Company mid 2009, arranged to fly down to Knysna.
Laura and I spent the morning with Kevin in the factory, where Kevin went out of his way to show us a almost complete 440,all the different options, how the boat is put together ect ect.
The afternoon we spent on Sea Flair a sister 440 which was docked in Knysna Keys and had been launched a few weeks earlier, we spoke to the lovely owners Grant and Lola, who entertained us(thanks for the headache Grant it was worth it) and gave us all the reasons they thought waranted owning a 440, anyway after a long night of decision making Laura and I had breakfast with Kevin the next day and signed for our 440.
To cut a long story short, Laura and I had never met or even spoken to the so called marketing manager,(met him the first time 2 weeks after our boat was build and launched)yet he demanded his commision for the sale of my yacht, and got paid it(sic) from the Knysna Yacht Company, for doing absolutely NOTHING.
Seems like boat marketing the business to be in????!!!!!!!!