PDA

View Full Version : Leopard 45' extended to 48'

catabroker
10th November 2008, 04:15 PM
One of our brokerage listings recently underwent corrective surgery.
A 3 foot extension was added to the stern.
The davits were also changed / upgraded for an easier passage on the transom. All in all, a job nicely done.
Any questions, please pm me.
regards, Peter Wiersema / Leopard catamarans

Tropic Cat
10th November 2008, 06:37 PM
Beautiful job, that boat is Stunning

billgow
11th November 2008, 02:20 PM
What did the hard top set you back and who built it?

Sandy Daugherty
11th November 2008, 04:15 PM
Looks good. They do not look that high above the waterline. I wonder who did the work and what it cost.

catabroker
11th November 2008, 08:44 PM
BVI painters at Nanny Cay in Tortola did the hardtop.

Leopard 45' / 47' - $13,300

Leopard 42' - $12,100

billgow
11th November 2008, 11:44 PM

Thanks. I'm not ready to pull the trigger right now but the 47 is the one Iím interested in. Iím a fisherman and those things look like the best layout for my purposes. I especially like the extended lower step on the 47 for releasing fish. I just wish there was a clever way to get rid of that ridiculous swim ladder on the port step. I think Iíve figured out how to configure the rest of it.

Has anyone tried carrying their dingy on the tramps in front? I have to keep the back unobstructed for fishing. I was thinking upside down and lashed down somehow. Iíll have a place to mount an outboard on a new railing Iíll have made that runs across the very back, between the hulls on that wonderful rear deck (in fact there may be room for two).

I intend to troll for billfish in the Sea of Cortez. Fishing will be the primary objective, not just a diversion.

jkd
1st December 2008, 03:07 PM
Peter,

Why were the original davits left in place?

Is the hard top capable of supporting crew on top for access to the boom?

Is that a viewing port over the helm? Is it sliding or removable?

What was rough cost on the extensions, if you don't mind me asking and who did the work?

John

catabroker
1st December 2008, 03:16 PM
John,
The hardtop was done by BVI Painters from Nanny Key in Tortola.
The price is $13,300
The hardtop can be walked on, it is structural.
I don't know why the old support system is still there (the stainless steel tubes). I guess that they simply did not have them removed yet. Personally, I would leave the supporting parts in place and remove the lifting part.
I don't recall if there is a sliding hatch, I will check on this.
Regards, Peter

jkd
1st December 2008, 05:52 PM
Peter,

Did BVI Painters also do the davit install and hull extensions?

John

catamangos
6th July 2009, 03:43 PM
Hello Leopard owners,

nice to meet this forum .

I'm sure that this kind of surgery would be great if applied to a Leopard 40 : I'm very glad of my Leopard 40 , rather fast, strong, and easy cat .
But when it comes to 7 - 8 knots (boat speed), or more, I see big backwash behind the sterns ... it seems like the boat has been "cut" of almost one meter ! We loose maybe one knot, and it begins noisy .
I'm sure it could be easily faster if we add extension to the stern (...don't know the word in english, we call it a "jupe" in french , a skirt !) .

What's your advice ? Best regards , Eric .

catabroker
18th July 2009, 02:49 PM
Eric,
Pretty much any hull can be extended, the Leopard 40' as well.
It is a matter of finding a reputable yard that can do it.
Also, if you want to, we can get advise from the designer, I can assist with that. Where do you keep your Leopard 40'?
Regards, Peter

catamangos
18th July 2009, 05:50 PM
Good evening Peter ,

oh yes, it would be nice if you could get the advice of Mr Morelli !

My Leopard 40 is located in Mahe, Seychelles, and in a few times I'll sail back to Reunion island (I'm living there ) .

Later on, I plan to cross Atlantic Ocean : South Africa and Robertson yard will be on my way ... or other yards in South Africa , they are serious .

An important point is to get the advice of the designers Morelli and Melvin : do you think you could ask them for me ?

Thank you for reply , best regards , Eric .

catamangos
20th August 2009, 10:12 AM
Good morning Peter ,

did you get some news from mr Morelli and Melvin, considering the project of extending a Leopard 40 ?
Best regards , Eric .

catabroker
20th August 2009, 06:18 PM
I asked Gino, and he replied as below:
----------
Peter:

Not that hard to design... Pain in the XXX to build... If he can find a yard thats interested and not too expensive, might be worth it.

Blending it into the existing lines and making the gelcoat finish match is the tricky part. Keeping a set of swim steps complicates it, but it's all doable. Usually we suggest just attaching the extension on to the existing hull and leaving the original transon intact ... like a watertight bulkhead, rather than cutting it all out to save the weight.

Can be done... finding the yard to do it reasonably will be the trick.

Gino

---------

regards, Peter

pwiersema@leopardcatamarans.com

spencer FBG
4th September 2009, 08:32 PM
Peter,

Why were the original davits left in place?

Is the hard top capable of supporting crew on top for access to the boom?

Is that a viewing port over the helm? Is it sliding or removable?

What was rough cost on the extensions, if you don't mind me asking and who did the work?

John
Hi There,
If your interested in the Hard Top, Davit's and hull extensions drop me a line cspencer2830@hotmail.com, I did the work to the 4500.
Chris Spencer.
BVI PAINTERS LTD.

JustCatamarans
4th September 2009, 09:44 PM
We are considering building a hardtop mold here in Ft. lauderdale, but need x2 orders to make it worthwhile. Cost would also be $13500 including fitting if in Ft. Lauderdale. We would be using resin infusion process therefore very light. prewired for solar, speakers and lights plus accesory wiring.
Hull extensions run about $4000 per side, somewhat expensive, but you will struggle to tell its an add on and is structural.

jkd
5th September 2009, 01:46 PM
Kent,

Have you made any progress on your cost calcuations for the "owners hull" conversion?

John

JustCatamarans
5th September 2009, 02:05 PM
Hi John

Not enough as to for an accurate figure, we think it will be worthwhile. It will definately be a seller for the Moorings.
I will keep you up to speed

spencer FBG
5th September 2009, 03:57 PM

Leopard 45' / 47' - $13,300

Leopard 42' - $12,100
Hello,
For full details on the Hard Top's including pricing etc,
cspencer2830@hotmail.com
Chris Spencer.
BVI PAINTERS LTD.

Larry Littrell
3rd January 2012, 01:45 PM
Peter, Was that the 45 that was in Trinadad? I think called Sails Call? The job looks great. I have been noticing the davits on some boats & am thinking of having them installed as well.

catabroker
3rd January 2012, 02:51 PM
Larry,

No, "Sails call" was a derelict Leopard 45' that was pretty much abandoned by her owner and then the bank foreclosed on it.

This Leopard 45' is still in Tortola, and is for sale. Let me know if you know someone who is interested!

Fair winds for 2012,

regards, Peter

Larry Littrell
4th January 2012, 02:24 PM
Peter do you know what the davits cost to have installed

catabroker
4th January 2012, 02:37 PM
Not sure, it was a project by the owner and I think BVI painters got involved or did part of it. Call them, they will know.

Good luck, Peter

spencer FBG
4th January 2012, 03:23 PM
I built the extensions, davits, and Hard Top, were now located in South Florida (Dedicated Marine Inc 954-684-4956 )