PDA

View Full Version : Leopard 38 layout

Mate
28th January 2010, 11:11 PM
To many questions as usual .
I am wondering when the layout of the 38 changed eg, year .
I have seen anything up to 2004 still having the same layout as the 2000.
Am I correct in thinking this. I do like the layout of the Lagoon and the missis likes the shower , but cant get passed the swim platform area on the Leopard, got to be usuble .
Do most people use the starboard stateroom , forward , as thier bunk .
Is this as comfortable in a slight roll as the aft cabin / port.
What about on a channel crossing .
Thanks as always Darren

jkd
28th January 2010, 11:44 PM
On the Leopard you have to be a bit careful as they have 2 completely different 38 ft. boats. The old 3800 with the aft arch and stopped production in 05 (I think) now the new 384 which is a different designer and no arch and just introduced in 09.
The 3800 was the same mostly thru the entire run with the exception of some minor changes until the last 2 years or so then they offered different engines (Volvo's instead of the Westerbeke's) On that boat, yes the stbd fwd berth was considered the "owners cabin".

I have been in both side to side and fore/ aft berths and for me I like the side to side better because I would prefer to roll than pitch when sleeping and a cat will give you more of a pitching motion, but there are a lot of differing opinions on where people like to sleep.

John

Mate
28th January 2010, 11:58 PM
So I can assume John , that the layout is basicly the same accept the motors . Did they stop production in 05 and start again with different designer in 09 , or am I reading this wrong.
If they stayed with the same design that long , being the orianal , You must think that people liked it.
I was more thinking of sleeping forward or aft in a cat , not neccecarily siseby side or foward / aft , but good info , thanks.
I have often wondered why cats need so many heads and showers , seems to take up precious room that could be used as a library or something . I guess this all comes down to comfort for passengers and guests .
Was there a two cabin layout or only the 3 , or did they ever do a 4 cabin for charter .
3 cabin seems to be the most common.
Thanks Darren

jkd
29th January 2010, 12:13 AM
The 3800 had only a 3 cabin version. The new 384 comes in either a 3 or 4 cabin model.
Most of the cats that go into charter will have as many beds and heads that they can stuff into them. 38 feet seems to be the point where you will find some 3 cabin models that were set up for charter, anything bigger and a 3 cabin version will have been an option from the factory and really did not come into vogue until around 2000 or so.
The 3800 was a pretty successful charter boat for Moorings and I think only a hand full went to private owners from the factory and then only in the last couple of years of production.
The new 384 is being offered to charter ownership or direct personal ownership, and yes it is a very different boat than the old one.
I think we had a thread before about where in a cat people preferred to have their master cabin, so you might want to cruise thru some of the old headings or just start a new thread.

John