PDA

View Full Version : Feathering props

Mate
1st February 2010, 06:53 AM
I read somwhere that it was recomended to change the standard mooring 3800/ leopard 38 props to feathering props and this could change speed and economy as well as under sail catacteristics.
Has anyone done this , and is it a good thing . If so , where do you purchase these and at about what cost .
Always a pleasure , learning something every day , Darren:)

Talbot
1st February 2010, 12:00 PM
I read somwhere that it was recomended to change the standard mooring 3800/ leopard 38 props to feathering props and this could change speed and economy as well as under sail catacteristics.
Has anyone done this , and is it a good thing . If so , where do you purchase these and at about what cost .

Costs vary significantly between the different types of propellor. Yachting Monthly did an article on these last year (May 09). Various different types of folding or feathering designs, plus their costs and characteristics.

My favourites - kiwi (for cost/capability)
brunton (for capability)

scotte
1st February 2010, 04:36 PM
We have 3-bladed MaxProps and are happy with them. They aren't cheap, but they work great, and give full thrust in reverse. I don't really know how much drag difference over fixed props, but it's got to be pretty significant.

Tulliana
1st February 2010, 07:31 PM

R&C offer only the Brunton as an option on new boats. We have found them to be excellent so far even with some barnacle build up, they fold easily and are also good in reverse.