PDA

View Full Version : Leopard 38 Report

IreAneY
2nd February 2010, 03:08 PM
Just read the Leopard 38 report by Multihills world mag, performance wise it does not sound very clever, yet I think most mass produced cats are probably the same.:(

jkd
4th February 2010, 10:40 PM
After seeing Drunkinsailor's report on his charter I would have to agree with you, it's coming in below polars with a light load and will only get worse with a load.
This boat maybe one of those "looks good on paper" things. Shame, has some good ideas.

John

IreAneY
4th February 2010, 10:54 PM
Yes it is a shame as I too think they have come up with some great ideas and I thought with the slim hulls and decent rig she woulod have had a much better performance, oh well.:(

spellbinder
7th February 2010, 02:23 PM
I must have read a different vesion of the Multihulls World Mag. report.

The mini test was on an already well ladened boat.

They concluded that it was a bit heavy and sluggish below 10 knots of wind, but managed half the wind speed in a 6 knot wind.

I got the impression that they found the Leopard 38 extraordinarily lively and fun once the wind was over 10 knots. Between 10 and 13 knots of wind, the well-laden boat reached 7.5 knots.

In fairness to Drunkensailor, he did give a number of reasons as to why he might not have been able to match the R&C polar figures. Credit to R&C for releasing them. Try getting polars out of Lagoon!

John T who delivered the first leopard 38 to the USA said that he was keeping up with larger leopards until he had to return to harbour with engine problems. He averaged 6.5 knots on his 7000+ mile trans-atlantic delivery trip.

I guess it just depends on your perception of what a modern 38ft cruising cat should do? Reported elsewhere the larger Lagoon 400 managed about 7.5 knots in 15 to 18 knot winds in almost perfect conditions.

jkd
7th February 2010, 06:59 PM
spellbinder,

First, may I say, welcome to the forum.

I do appreciate the folks at R&C (or rather M&M the designers) for releasing the data. It sure saves time trying to figure it out by using all the engineering required that others can do effortlessly but I cannot.

Yes John T. did report some good numbers on his initial bounce off shore but the delivery guys (to steal his other name) use bloopers to help with times and I kind of suspect that the stops he was showing en route to re-fuel he was burning some diesel to achieve those numbers. He was after all on a pretty tight schedule.

I like to see numbers from ordinary sailors to balance out what the pro's can achieve.

Again, I have alot of respect for the new 38 due to the cool stuff onboard but like all boats it is a compromise of accommodations and ability. Comparing a clean dog to a flea bitten dirty dog is just that. I'm sure that it will provide a good and serviceable life to those that purchase it, but in the end, marketing hype will not make the thing a racer or more than it is. I liked what I saw in Annapolis on this boat but people should not get their hopes up too high on performance.

John

paulrack
8th February 2010, 03:02 PM
I am not sure with John, but following Paul's blogs he uses twin headsails on downwind runs with no mainsail. They actually seem to go really easy on the boats as I guess if you deliver boats with damage you are unlikely to get more work.