PDA

View Full Version : pets at sea

TYRNTLZRDKING
9th September 2010, 11:44 PM
I would never want to take a Dog or Cat out to sea with me on a small boat. :eek:
Maybe a bird.

IreAneY
9th September 2010, 11:49 PM
I would never want to take a Dog or Cat with me on a boat to sea.:eek:
Maybe a bird.

When you say 'Bird' can you expand on this as, it can have a different meaning over here where we talk proper English as does the word 'Dog' :)

TYRNTLZRDKING
10th September 2010, 12:21 AM
I am using the American slang of English.
No dual meaning intended.
Four legged animals and ones which fly.

and you sir, are a COPYCAT!

IreAneY
10th September 2010, 12:36 AM
and you sir, are a copycat!

Yeah, I know, I noticed it and thought what a good idea, it means I can see more easily the last ones I replied to. ;), I will change it slightly :cool:

I must admit to take a dog on a boat for a long time without seeing land must be difficult.

I have heard cats adapt very easily, never spoken to anybody about having a bird aboard, apart from Long John Silver of course :D

TYRNTLZRDKING
10th September 2010, 12:38 AM
I like cats, but I do not like their stinky litter box.
I never had or knew of a dog which was trained to shit in a box.

IreAneY
10th September 2010, 12:47 AM
When I met Jeannius on his Priv 435 in StLucia there was a St.F 50 owned by two Americans who had 2 Portuguese Water (Big) Dogs (picture on the forum) who lived aboard and had sailed the oceans extensively, they had trained them to do their daily functions on the tramps which was washed done easily and quickly. :)

SteveH
10th September 2010, 09:49 AM
I met a large steel boat in Portugal a few years back that had a duck on board. It had a house and paddling pool on deck.
Unfortunately the boat foundered in large swells while tied up to a harbour wall, in the Azores. The duck was lost for a few days but after a lot of searching by the owners and locals it was found all safe and well.

Talbot
10th September 2010, 10:55 AM
I like cats, but I do not like their stinky litter box.
I never had or knew of a dog which was trained to shit in a box.

I knew a guy in Florida that had a litter box for the cat which solved most of the drawbacks. It had a pressure sensor so after the cat had done its business, and then left, the device would comb through the litter and any solid lumps would be moved into a box which had a quick deoderant spray and was then sealed until the next time of use, or emptying. This not only eradicated almost all smell, and made cleaning up much easier (box could be removed seperately) it also significantly reduced the amount of litter used.

If I had a cat for my boat, I would definitely invest in one of these litter boxes

S/V Magic Carpet
10th September 2010, 11:58 PM
We have two dogs, Largo is a 13 y/o Golden Retrevier.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4016/4415894164_525e75ecb5.jpg

And Charlie a 3 y/o Golden Retriver - Chow - and whatever else.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/4415127723_382a99f086.jpg

Charlie is a mixed mut that came from the local shelter. We got him to replace Largo when he passes on. We got him a few years early so that Largo could kind of show him how it's done. They go to the bathroom on the front bows, and a bucket of water washes it away. I have had a dog all my life. I can never remember when we did not have a dog. I have found that people come up and talk to you when you have a dog. We are known as Largo & Charlie's partents long before they know our names. There is nothing like the unconditional love of a dog. We are very resopnsable in cleaning up after them and they mind very well. I will always have a dog. If I am at sea then my dog will be at sea also. We have sailed thousands of sea miles, Paid the fees and met lots of cool people with our dogs.

There are monents when they do things that just crack you up.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2688/4415791234_783684bfa6.jpg

Dan

ka8uet
22nd October 2010, 04:29 AM
Clean box dailiy, place stuff in coffee can lined with plastic bag. When full, tie up bag, place in another bag, tie it tightly. Put in garbage!

amibon
23rd October 2010, 06:20 PM
ONE of the reasons why we have decided for a multihull this time actually is our dog!
She's too big to lift her constantly up and down almost vertical companionways common on monos - plus she does not like being lifted, Plus the multi offers more space on deck and when dinghing ashore I hope it will be easier to lift her up and down to the ding with the lower freeboards.

About all the rest I don't know yet, but if she hates boating, I will rather part with the boat again than to even consider giving up on her.

I actually am thinking of converting her kennel for flying to a floating kennel with fittings so I can lift her into & out of the ding!
Probably crazy what one is willing to do for ones pet?!

One Q to those with experience with larger dogs on boats. Training her to venture to the foredeck for her business I dont see the problem but what do you do in heavy weather?

ka8uet
24th October 2010, 04:29 AM
Leash to safety line. And lifejacket for dog. Harness instead of collar. Dog makes

amibon
26th October 2010, 08:00 PM
Dog makes
Any specific recommendations? (link?)

And: Another question;
I did have a cat on one of my previous boats, and she (of course) did cope extremely well with the movements of the boat. How about dogs? How to they deal with that challenge (usually)?

Talbot
26th October 2010, 08:10 PM
Any specific recommendations? (link?)

And: Another question;
I did have a cat on one of my previous boats, and she (of course) did cope extremely well with the movements of the boat. How about dogs? How to they deal with that challenge (usually)?

My last dog, who shared many happy days onboard was a cross between border colley and black labrador. This was a deliberate breeding choice in order to get a slightly smaller animal, with lots of intelligence (too much sometimes) , fantastic with children, and best of all, an aquatic heritage, so when he got wet, two or three good shakes and most of the water was gone and you didnt have that horrible wet dog smell for te next 20 hours.

He tollerated the boat, quite happy in the saloon or the cockpit, but loved the tender.

S/V Magic Carpet
31st October 2010, 07:52 PM
Talbot that is a great cross breeding mix. I had a Golden Retriver/ Black Lab mix. it was the best dog ever. My fishing skiff is named after him.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1421/5132630286_7a72fe8392.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1393/5132630348_2f6a6a5ee8.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1136/5132630528_79df47c883.jpg

ka8uet
31st October 2010, 11:57 PM
I used to sail with my Sheltie mix. She did fine, never got seasick. My parents had a german Shepherd who insisted on sailing with them on their little tri. They would lock him in the house, and he would jump out the window and swim out to the boat. It's sort of hard to lift a soggy 85lb dog aboard a tiny boat! He even jumped out a second story window. They finally gave up and took him along. My own shepherd got seasick in the rowboat! It's just as hard to throw a big dog overboard to swim home as it is to get one aboard! And she was a LITTLE shepherd! Only about 50-60lbs. Must have looked funny from the bank! Luckily, it was a short swim, and she stopped throwing up as soon as she hit the water.

TYRNTLZRDKING
1st November 2010, 11:24 PM
2pGE_lT6xYk

Intentional Drifter
2nd November 2010, 03:05 AM
Like Mother Ocean, we just couldn't imagine not having our Sam H. Dog (H is for Happy) with us. Both of us have always had dogs, ever since we were little kids (they help to keep us bigger, older kids).

Sam Dog is a Labradoodle, which is very nice because not only is water in all of his genetic make-up, he doesn't shed, either! That is very nice, even more so on a boat.

He is pretty big (80 lbs) and his bark is deep enough to get one's attention, which is good from the security angle. Having a catamaran has definitely helped in that department, since he can take up a lot of space when he wants.

As for toileting, we did train him to go up on the tramp. He doesn't like it, though, but will relent after 30 hours or so. (He very much appreciated the new coat of nonskid.)

We found a neat gadget, called a Paws Aboard boat ladder, that really helped him for getting off and on the boat for swimming. It took a bit of modification (many of the fasteners had to be replaced with better quality), but the steps are just right for him.

ID

ka8uet
7th November 2010, 03:12 AM
I know of several small dogs which have been trained to use a littler box. Of course, they don't bury their productions like a cat does. I made an unsuccessful attempt to teach Behrke to use a litter box. She just stepped over it. Guess you have to start earlier! :-)

Catcruiser27
25th February 2011, 11:56 PM
I think having a pet on board for a daysail, weekendsail or even a holiday of some weeks is ok-ish. But doing a world cruise with a dog is in my opinion not right as dogs need excercise. Cats maybe, but I am not a cat person in the feline sense.
I am not convicting people who do take their pet, but I wouldn´t. And it that respect I have a problem, as we have four dogs and I (we) want to leave in 4 years time on our world cruise....... so we have to pretty please our daughters....

Catarina
13th January 2013, 09:58 PM
We had a larger dog we cruised with in Mexico and the PNW in our Irwin, but now we have 2 Schipperkes that are bred for boats.
They cruised well on our Irwin 52, and they both really like the Catana, but we really need to put netting up.

Ready4Adventure
23rd April 2014, 06:51 PM
We're sailing to Australia for two reasons - one, my husband has always wanted to cruise on a catamaran, and two, I don't want to put my cats on an international flight.

When we started the cruise, we knew it was a risk. One of my cats is 17 years old. She hates being in a car or an RV. Absolutely hates it, and is very vocal about it.

Color me happily surprised when putting her on this boat. She loves it. It's like she's been waiting her whole life for this adventure.

As an example, we crossed a sound on the ICW with six foot waves - not swell, waves. She picked that time to come out of the bedroom, get a bit to eat, go to the litterbox and wander around. She synced all of her movements to the timing of the waves and wasn't the least bit phased.

She loves to go out in the cockpit for some morning sun, and she is happier than I've ever seen her... in seventeen years. It's amazing. The other cat - a feral that adopted us about three years ago when she was a kitten - has required a bit more adjustment, but she's learning to love it too.

It's the only thing that's inspiring me to continue, because I love Australia and want to get back there, but our shakedown cruise has been nothing but one trial after another. But the cats love it, so onward we press.

P.S. We use a corn-based litter. No smell at all. It tracks a bit, and that's annoying, but it just means sweeping more often.

dmmbruce
23rd April 2014, 09:54 PM
Well! That was a nice surprise. But cats are amazingly good at adjusting to things.

Have you checked about the difficulties of taking cats into Australia? If I remember correctly there was a recent thread explaining this. I think they found that they had to import the cats on a commercial carrier by air or ship. But not by boat.

Mike

Ready4Adventure
23rd April 2014, 10:01 PM
Well! That was a nice surprise. But cats are amazingly good at adjusting to things.

Have you checked about the difficulties of taking cats into Australia? If I remember correctly there was a recent thread explaining this. I think they found that they had to import the cats on a commercial carrier by air or ship. But not by boat.

Mike

We have checked it. It has been a source of much drama, but the good news is that we can import them by yacht.

Basically, after leaving the Panama Canal, which is an unapproved country, we have to take 180 days to get to Australia. Just before getting there, we have to stop in Vanuatu and make that the country of export. It will be expensive, but it's doable. And I'm very against putting my cats in cargo on an airplane, so I'm very happy about this fact.

You can find further details of our adventure here (http://www.multihulls4us.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6100). yam_fzr is my husband. He'll be changing his name shortly as we are very very very unimpressed with Yamaha now, but that's another story.