PDA

View Full Version : Cartagena

multihullsailor6
25th February 2011, 08:24 PM
For those of you cruising the Spanish south east coast I can highly recommend stopping over in Cartagena, a well sheltered harbour and Spanish naval base. Cartagena is on the Costa Calida and as such is within an area of the Spanish mediterranean coast with a very low level of rain.

You will find the (rather full) municipal harbour and the marina at Yacht Port Cartagena (YPC) next door which is where I currently am. One main positive aspect for us multihullers is that YPC does not charge the "normal" multihull extra of 50% extra, as can be seen in the large number of cats here - in fact for a longer stay they offered me the cheapest rate I could find on this coast! The staff is very helpful and English speaking. All marina facilities including a good working wifi are on offer. YPC can be contacted via telephone on 0034968121213, via email marina@yachtportcartagena.com and their website is www.cartagenamarina.es (http://www.cartagenamarina.es) .

The town itself is charming with many interesting historical and architectural aspects and offers all amenities incl. two chandleries and haul out facilities for cats via a travel lift. The closest airport with international connections is Murcia-San Javier about 25km away.

If staying longer, a local website www.simplynetworking.es (http://www.simplynetworking.es) offers a free weekly internet newsletter on the local going-ons.

dmmbruce
25th February 2011, 08:36 PM
Well found. It looked good when I googled it after you had posted about going there.

Mike

doubledip
25th February 2011, 11:43 PM
Cartagena sure is a great place - been there many times myself. Also has skilled labor, still at reasonable rates, for all kinds of maintenance and repair jobs.

multihullsailor6
1st April 2011, 09:20 PM
Just yesterday an Irish monohull sailor gave me the name of a local engine mechanic who had installed a new engine for him and with whose work he was unreservidly happy:
Juan Alcobal. tel. 0034-606 351 941.

lhsmith
17th May 2012, 05:36 AM
I really appreciate the posting about Cartagena. I am looking for a place to dock/store a boat I am purchasing, and Cartagena sounds like a great spot. Can anyone make other recommendations betwenn Barcelona and Gibraltar?