PDA

View Full Version : Leopard 46' with racing stripes

catabroker
7th October 2008, 03:55 PM
Hello Forum,

My name is Peter Wiersema, I am based in FL and I sell new and pre owned Leopard (and other) catamarans.

I am new here, Paul asked me to post more information on the Leopard 46'.
I was the one who did not manage to sell him a new Leopard 46', as you all know, he choose the SF 50. I must have done something wrong...

We just finished commissioning a 2009 Leopard 46' here in Ft Lauderdale. This yacht is one of best equipped Leopard 46's ever. The owner upgraded sails and rigging, and this cat is very fast.
We clocked 8.5 knots of boatspeed in 11 knots true, while flying the genaker (and main).

I wish Paul could come back to FL and make a video of a test sail on this Leopard 46', it would be very impressive.
Below are some pictures. regards, Peter

Nordic
7th October 2008, 05:56 PM
Hi Peter,

can the sprit fold?

Any pictures from the front, so we can see the stays for the sprit?

Did they remove the crossbeam for welding and re-anodizing?

thanks

Alan

ForumAdmin
7th October 2008, 06:23 PM
Hi Peter,
I did not do a thing wrong and I liked the boat ....... so do not blame yourself:):):):)

I know the Leopard is a fast boat - pleasing to see those figures.

I think an in depth video is possible - say a 30 to 40 minute production.

As you know when we sailed time was limited and the wind instruments were not working (no fault of yours) - the purpose of the day was not to video but to test the boat. So the video had limited material.

To do it properly we would need a full day at least, maybe two plus some in depth preparation the day before the shoot. We would also need a motor launch or something for shooting the boat from another boat.

If its possible to arrange that then yes, we will pop over and make a video for publication on the forum. Lesley is always keen to get a bit of milder weather - she likes the warm and so will need no persuading.

If you are game we can start preparing a basic programme skeleton now.

We could probably do it about December or January .... and its free.:)

Cheers
Paul

catabroker
7th October 2008, 07:29 PM
Nordic,
The A frame folds up, and the shrouds attach to the pushpit. This can be seen in the pictures. For (safe) sailing at night, the webbing should be removed from the A frame, otherwise the bow light cannot be seen.
The manufacturing was coordinated locally in Capetown between the owner and Sparcraft, I am not familiar with the details on what was done.
regards, Peter

catabroker
7th October 2008, 07:40 PM
Earlier this year we commissioned another Leopard 46' here in Ft Lauderdale. (we commissioned 1-2 a month in the first semester)
This owner opted for a post factory prod, done by Nance & Underwood Riggers in Ft Lauderdale.
I have enclosed some pictures of this prod as well as his solar panels and other modifications. The owner is currently sailing the south Pacific and is as happy as could be.

Nordic
7th October 2008, 09:47 PM
Earlier this year we commissioned another Leopard 46' here in Ft Lauderdale. (we commissioned 1-2 a month in the first semester)
This owner opted for a post factory prod, done by Nance & Underwood Riggers in Ft Lauderdale.
I have enclosed some pictures of this prod as well as his solar panels and other modifications. The owner is currently sailing the south Pacific and is as happy as could be.

This solution is alot like the one offered on the Lagoons, and is a relatively easy retrofit. The advantage of it compared to the triangular one, is that it is easy to remove/dismount.

I like the fish cleaning station they have...

Alan

OkinawaCat
11th October 2008, 04:29 AM
Looks sweet Peter. Can't wait to get mine!
I would love to learn more about the electric motor setup. Looks impressive and must reduce the weight a bit, since no batteries.

Cheers

Brent

billgow
4th January 2009, 04:25 PM
We just finished commissioning a 2009 Leopard 46' here in Ft Lauderdale. This yacht is one of best equipped Leopard 46's ever. The owner upgraded sails and rigging, and this cat is very fast.
We clocked 8.5 knots of boatspeed in 11 knots true, while flying the genaker (and main).

Hello Peter,

Can you tell us more about the choices of sails for this boat? I'm considering a Leopard myself but I'm very concerned about light wind performance. I'll be using it in the Sea of Cortez and as far south as Panama in the winter. Typical winds are light in this area compared to those in the Caribbean (where these cats are designed for). On another forum, one Leopard owner suggested these boats prefer winds of 15MPH and better. That's about maximum for the eastern Pacific conditions I expect to see.

ForumAdmin
4th January 2009, 04:33 PM
Billgow
Have you seen the online video of this boat sailing in winds of under 10 knots at Ft Lauderdale
Click here (http://www.gludy.co.uk/videogalleryboat.cfm)

billgow
4th January 2009, 06:19 PM
Billgow
Have you seen the online video of this boat sailing in winds of under 10 knots at Ft Lauderdale
Click here (http://www.gludy.co.uk/videogalleryboat.cfm)

I have now, thanks!

I'm looking at the 47s and 43s at this point. My number 1 priority is fishing, cruising and all the rest are secondary. The reason I chose to look at the Leopards is that great "swim platform" and the extended bottom step on the 47 and 43. My target species are marlin and sailfish, bycatch may be dolphin, tuna, etc. I won't just be pulling a lure or two, I'll have a spread of up to 9 lines in the water at any given time.

I plan to spend 2 to 3 years between Mexico and Panama getting used to this and then shoving off and going long range to places no power boat has ever seen.

For marlin lures to be presented properly, they have to be moving above 6 knots. 9 knots is typical for the power squadron. The winds in the Sea of Cortez can be expected to run 5 to 10 knots on average but sometimes up to 15. I know I can motor around at the speeds necessary but the objective is to fish under sail.

Because we'll be fishing, playing with things like a spinnaker or it's associated hardware isn't going to work for us. I was thinking a double furling or reefing headsail rig would be a better set up.

Typically, there would be a helmsman and another hand taking care of everything from the fishing lines and the sheets to making cocktails. Between these two, they'll have their hands full just keeping the lures at the right speed and the boat under control. I expect an auto pilot will play a big part of this as well. Add to this a couple 400 Lb marlin and we'll be approaching pandemonium. We might get lucky and only have to heave-to but more likely, we'll have to douse the sails and go to power. Hopefully, whoever grabs the rods, will know how to set the hook and get into a fighting position on their own because the captain and his mate are going to look like a flying circus. There will still be several lines to clear before the real fight begins and hopefully this can be done quickly and not become a tangle because it took 20 minutes to get the boat under control.

I'm looking for a simple-to-manage rig that will run well under light air. I have to be able to dump sails quickly if I have to. I was thinking an asymmetrical or screacher on a sprit and maybe going to a lighter main and jib. I really don't want to go to a taller rig. If I buy an older Leopard out of the charter fleet, I expect to do a ton of work to it anyway and have already budgeted for new sails.

I know I'm going where few have ventured before - that's part of why I want to do it.. :)

TanJera
23rd February 2009, 04:35 AM
Hi there
Sorry I am only responding now, but here is my bit for what its worth!

I own an old 46 ft Kelsall and wanted to replace the rig with something a bit easier to handle for the two of us on an extended cruise.
After a lot of investigation finally decided on a twin cat rig. I made some changes to Richard Glanville's original design and the masts are up but sails still have to be ordered _-delayed because we are visiting in NZ at the moment.
May I suggest you look at sailcoolchange.co.nz for a 46 ft cat that sails very well with a similar rig. I have spent a short time with the owners onbaord in Dec and were very impressed. Their names are Don & Marilyn Logan and I am sure they wont mind if you contact them.
I have done some marlin fishing on a Maxim 40 powercat and am of the opinion that it will be chaos if you hook one on a cat with a conventional rig - you will likely not be able to land it.
The rig on Cool Change will make life a lot easier and certainly give you much better performance in light airs with much more controlability when the marlin hits the fan!
Regards
Hennie

catamangos
6th July 2009, 03:35 PM
Hello,

Hello Leopard owners,

nice to meet this forum .

I'm sure that this kind of surgery would be great if applied to a Leopard 40 : I'm very glad of my Leopard 40 , rather fast, strong, and easy cat .
But when it come to 7 - 8 knots , or more, I see big backwash behind the sterns ... it seems like the boat has been "cut" of almost one meter ! We loose maybe one knot, and it begins noisy .
I'm sure it could be easily faster if we add extension to the stern (...don't know the word in english, we call it a "jupe" in french , a skirt !) .

What's your advice ? Best regards , Eric .

catamangos
6th July 2009, 03:42 PM
OOOOOOOOOPS ,
sorry , I made a mistake : my post above should be in another article , where we can see very nice pictures about exented sterns . Regards , Eric .

rja
4th June 2010, 08:02 PM
Hello,

Do you happen to know who makes the mounting bracket this owner used for the sat tv dome? Just purchased a L46 and we're looking to add a similar (Intellian D4) dish.

Thanks,
Jason

Ozmultis
5th June 2010, 12:27 AM
We could probably do it about December or January .... and its free.:)

Cheers
Paul

I think we need to get you to OZ to do a few productions