www.sailingcatamarans.com

dmmbruce
30th April 2011, 06:50 PM
Richard, are you firmly tongue in cheek? :D

Mike

Woods Designs
1st May 2011, 03:28 AM
yes.

Time for some light relief and anyway I never understood this section of the forum so thought it should be used more

Richard

ColdFusion
1st May 2011, 11:29 AM
Funny :D

I'd never thought of the Pets At Sea forum like this before but you might be on to something!

Some people are cat people and some people prefer dogs. I fall into the latter group so I'm now wondering if I should avoid buying a cat! Please offer your thoughts on this.

Yours

Worried of multihulls4us

Talbot
1st May 2011, 02:10 PM
My cat now has a cat living aboard - I have purchased a good fish net for scooping it out of the water when it falls in!

dmmbruce
1st May 2011, 06:13 PM
Funny :D

Some people are cat people and some people prefer dogs. I fall into the latter group so I'm now wondering if I should avoid buying a cat! Please offer your thoughts on this.

Worried of multihulls4us

You should definitely have a cat and a dog. You will then be able to give an interesting insight into the old conundrum of "fighting like cat and dog"

The problem will only come if they are both inanimate as implied by Richard's play on words!

:D Mike

Tomahawk
1st July 2012, 11:35 AM
My cat now has a cat living aboard - I have purchased a good fish net for scooping it out of the water when it falls in!

First Officer wants another cat... (moggy) our last one died early this year and she is bereft of cat comfort..

What is holding her away from the rescue home is not knowing now to deal with a livaboard pet..So now do you get on with the practicalities of having a Cat Cat? Do you have to fly home and leave her, or does she travel with you?

georgetheleo
1st July 2012, 02:02 PM
yes.

Time for some light relief and anyway I never understood this section of the forum so thought it should be used more

Richard
Dear Richard, Your Scylla design turned out beautifully when fully complete.Only took a year and a half. Just sold it but am still involved as a 'consultant'Have reworked your rope&camclete rudder kick up mechanism to perfection using a HD ss fence gate bolt with wood dowels. Will take pics and post it on your site. Boat weighs 10000 in cruising trim. Pics are up/dowm bracket CIAO George;)

Talbot
2nd July 2012, 08:59 AM
.........So now do you get on with the practicalities of having a Cat Cat? Do you have to fly home and leave her, or does she travel with you?

Cat was onboard for the winter while son was using my boat as a seaside cottage. So I have no experience of cruising with one.

winch wench
2nd July 2012, 02:59 PM
First Officer wants another cat... (moggy) our last one died early this year and she is bereft of cat comfort..

What is holding her away from the rescue home is not knowing now to deal with a livaboard pet..So now do you get on with the practicalities of having a Cat Cat? Do you have to fly home and leave her, or does she travel with you?

Our cat now aged 8, has accompanied us on all our cruises and helped make Skedaddle our home. We use a location device when on marinas to track him if he gets lost on his nightly walks, and he wears a red flashing light when we cruise at night or are in a less than calm anchorage. We can honestly say he is no trouble and fits into our cruising life effortlessly. Unfortunately, our plans to cruise Pacific next year cannot include him due to quarantine laws on entry to New Zealand or our home port in Australia. We plan to have him 'house sat' for a year or two. The prospect of life aboard our cat without our cat is almost as daunting as our first ocean crossing!

Sandy Daugherty
7th July 2012, 07:56 PM
Cat's brains are very much smaller than dogs', however...
We were sailing our Haines Hunter Super Tramp trimaran on a perfectly beautiful fall day, with Hildebroom, a feisty miniature Schnauzer, complete with her doggy jacket. She took an interest in the spray off the starboard bow and insisted on a closer look. There being no nonskid there, the result was predictable. She fell in, and surfaced immediately with a sort of accusatory look, probably since I provided all the food she could eat, all the grass she could fertilize, and all the doors she could chew, I was therefore responsible for everything that went on.
We did a quickstop and circled back to her, for a dramatic one handed catch as she emerged from under the starboard trampoline. That doggy jacket handle was a good idea after all. After a reunitement hug and lick, she snuggled up close and stopped shaking. Moments later she was back on the starboard bow, and in the water again.

Cats won't do that.

BigCat
9th July 2012, 08:02 AM
Cats won't do that. Actually, I used to have a cat that kept jumping out of the same window, only to land yowling on top of the porch roof, clueless about how to get back. He never did learn. I had another cat at the same time that never did anything stupid. So, you can't overgeneralize.

SteveH
9th July 2012, 09:53 AM
Sandy - that was a good start to my Monday morning! :)

Sand crab
6th August 2012, 08:05 PM
Sandy, those dog pack handles are a great thing. I was hiking off trail in the high mountains of Montana with my dog when we came upon a section of small 20' cliffs. The one way down was through this steep gully with excellent handholds but it had about a 6' dropoff. My dog, Tribble wasn't having any of that, though. So after about an hour of cajoling, begging, and bribing I just grabbed that handle and lowered him the 6' into that gulley. He was fine with that and life went on. I highly recommend them on any boat. BOB

Tomahawk
6th August 2012, 09:39 PM
Cat's brains are very much smaller than dogs', however...
Cats won't do that.

I do have a couple of friends who have a moggy.. It .. no she.. comes on board the boat whenever they are there.. into a cat basket for the ride to the marina.. then out the basket and follows them down the pontoon to the boat.. then into her corner of the boat!!!

Never seen a cat do that before!

django
7th August 2012, 11:26 AM
Our 2 dogs waiting for the BBQ:)