PDA

View Full Version : Leopard 46': the importance of sacrificial keels

catabroker
7th October 2008, 04:00 PM
I wrote the pdf file below after I realized how truly valuable sacrificial keels are. Without these, this Leopard 46' would have sunk / been destroyed.
Regards, Peter

Nordic
7th October 2008, 05:54 PM
Impressive and lucky! Good thing that only the keels were in contact with the reef.

Without them I guess the story wouldn't have ended so happily. Are they just glass/polyester and foam or do they use some exotics as well?

Alan

STAY-U
4th June 2012, 02:28 AM
Nice design!!
Would you happen to know if only the 46 have this feature? How about the 43 Leopard?
Cheers
Bogdan

dmmbruce
4th June 2012, 03:55 PM
Nice design!!
Would you happen to know if only the 46 have this feature? How about the 43 Leopard?
Cheers
Bogdan

Hello and welcome. If you can't find out from Catabroker, you could try emailing Robertson and Caine. They would certainly know!

Cheers.

Mike

searenitysail
4th June 2012, 04:13 PM
Peter,
Thanks for sharing.

Marshall

JustCatamarans
4th June 2012, 04:43 PM
Impressive and lucky! Good thing that only the keels were in contact with the reef.

Without them I guess the story wouldn't have ended so happily. Are they just glass/polyester and foam or do they use some exotics as well?

Alan

The boat went on a reef in Cuba, and the hull also made contact with the reef, puncturing it in a number of places. The balsa core was eposed and she sat in the water for over two months with the core exposed. We ran the moisture meter etc, noted it and ground back, and the water had not gone more than 4-6" further than the point of exposure, and we vaccum bagged in new coring in those small areas, put new keels on and away she went, she has done x3 transatalntics since. We hauled her a year ago for a bottom job, and all was good underneath.
Kent www.justcatamarans.net

catabroker
4th June 2012, 04:44 PM
The Leopard 42'/43's (2002 - 2007) do not have bolt on - bolt off keels like the Leopard 46'.

The keels are sacrificial, but they are glassed on.

Regards, Peter

peterw@yacht.com

therapy
4th June 2012, 09:24 PM
Really cool.

My time on a Leopard 46 was only a day and the owner had recently put the boat on a reef and damaged a keel. He was waiting for a soon-to-be- due haul out to do the bottom and do it all at once.

The boat sailed really well to weather on one tack. Not so well on the other. :D

Now if Leopard could make a cockpit and davits more like a Manta.............

PS. Can it be left free-standing on those keels?

Headin'South
6th June 2012, 06:01 PM
The Leopard 42'/43's (2002 - 2007) do not have bolt on - bolt off keels like the Leopard 46'.

The keels are sacrificial, but they are glassed on.

Regards, Peter

peterw@yacht.com

How about the 44 Peter??