PDA

View Full Version : Need unpaid crew for Leopard 38/39/40?

Nautic Al
15th November 2011, 04:51 AM
Could you use crew for your Leopard 38/39/40?

I'm considering buying one of these models. I think that 1-3 weeks as your unpaid crew would give me a good idea of how much I like these boats.

I'm a retired male Toronto firefighter. Age 53.
CYA/ASA Intermediate Cruising 1992. 20 years coastal cruising on a variety of mono+multihulls. Healthy, fit, clean, neat, live and let-live positive attitude. I'm based in Toronto, Canada.

I'd prefer to embark and disembark within roughly a 5 hour flight from Toronto. I'd like to gain more off-shore experience, and am eager to learn as much as possible.

Please get back to me if you're looking for crew.
Email, osonofla at gmail dot com.

Thanks, Al

Camp Director G
19th March 2012, 01:10 AM
I'm considering buying an L40. What are you looking at? Any thoughts? I would be happy to talk to you about the boats. Send a PM if you'd like to discuss.

Nautic Al
20th March 2012, 03:52 AM
Hi,
My experience with Leopard cats is limited, but I've sailed on a number of different cats, in charter, over the years. I figured that renting was the best way to combine a holiday with a "test-drive". It's been a great way to discover whether or not the traits I thought would be desirable in theory, proved out in practise.

The list of cats includes:
Gemini 105, Maine Cat 30, FP Tobago 35, PDQ 36, PDQ 32, Seawind 1000, Leopard 40.

I've only seen the L39 at the Miami Boat Show. The L40 was a charter in 2009 out of Marsh Harbour Bahamas. I really liked most things about this boat. It (the owners version) seems like it would be a great live-aboard. The only negatives were a tendency for the sterns to squat when the boat was motored or sailed fast, and that it only sailed about as fast as a similar length monohull. To me, these seemed like reasonable trade-offs for it's good features, which include:
A massive owners head and very adequate guest head, hull chines that do a fantastic job of keeping spray off the top-sides, excellent galley, well-ventilated large berths, ergonomically sound saloon and cockpit, and good visibility from the steering station.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions about this boat.