PDA

View Full Version : Is Gideon still alive???

IreAneY
10th March 2009, 08:13 PM
We have not had any replies from Gideon recently, does anybody know why??:confused:

Or is it that he is keeping his head low because of B&B's latest nightmares http://butterflyandbarnacle.wordpress.com/ :eek::eek:

imagine2frolic
10th March 2009, 08:54 PM
I would think one can take a beating for only so long. Then you either confess, or die:confused:.....i2f

TYRNTLZRDKING
11th March 2009, 12:54 AM
Gideon last logged on to the forum yesterday, so he is most likely alive.

jono
11th March 2009, 01:04 AM
Cripes, would you look at this pic, 3 sets of anodes in 11 months, this is not normal. Do Butterfly and Barnacle blog updates appear on CF?:p jono

BigCat
11th March 2009, 06:33 PM
Cripes, would you look at this pic, 3 sets of anodes in 11 months, this is not normal. Do Butterfly and Barnacle blog updates appear on CF?:p jono

This is why I have a strong preference for traditional shaft propulsion over sail drives - Aside from the electrolysis problem, they are also having problems with the darn things leaking oil, someone put the wrong oil in them, etc.

majika
11th March 2009, 07:41 PM
This is why I have a strong preference for traditional shaft propulsion over sail drives - Aside from the electrolysis problem, they are also having problems with the darn things leaking oil, someone put the wrong oil in them, etc.

oh a tip i must take
shaft drive boats dont need anods
shaftdrive seals dont leak or wear
and standard shaftdrive gearboxes are immune to numptys putting the wrong oil in them:p:p:p:p

i do hope you wernt being serious as grounds for choice.

majika
11th March 2009, 07:45 PM

to put this in balance does anyone know if the have brunton props.
i do and brunton expect bronze props to go through 2 sets of anods per year
so 3 is excesive but may not be as bad as you were all thinking

BigCat
11th March 2009, 11:12 PM
oh a tip i must take
shaft drive boats dont need anods
shaftdrive seals dont leak or wear
and standard shaftdrive gearboxes are immune to numptys putting the wrong oil in them:p:p:p:p

i do hope you wernt being serious as grounds for choice.

Yes, I am very serious, and very experienced, too. You can use regular anodes on shafting, so you aren't jammed up if you can't find the special anodes you sail drive uses, conventional stuffing boxes don't leak if you use modern goretex - carbon - teflon fiber packing, and I have never heard of anyone putting the wrong oil in one. Aluminum in casting grade alloys are not all that corrosion resistant, (castings aren't made with the 5086 H116 grade used in plating,) unlike Aquamet 22 shafts and bronze props. Furthermore, a standard stuffing box is a heavy, bullet proof bronze casting, and I have never heard of one corroding. A shaft log is a small hole, and it is usually made out of fiberglass in a fiberglass boat, so no corrosion issues there, and it doesn't have the huge flexible gasket that a sail drive depends on to keep the boat from sinking. Lots of people have reported the problems the Butterflies are having with various saildrives. :rolleyes:

therapy
13th March 2009, 01:34 AM
We have not had any replies from Gideon recently, does anybody know why??:confused:

Or is it that he is keeping his head low because of B&B's latest nightmares http://butterflyandbarnacle.wordpress.com/ :eek::eek:

I would have hired a lawyer (or Paul :D) a long time ago.

So what they put the wrong oil in and now it is the right oil. It has to be run a little and changed out again........twice if it was mine!! And there is no knowing what the long term damage is. I would hold FastCat responsible if future problems occur............except they won't be there.

And the windows gaskets cut too short?

And them having to redo the belt pulleys on the motors?

And autopilot story?

And, and, and ................................ad infinitum.

It would be a lawyer for me!

Daaaaammmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am glad I didn't have the money to think about having one built a year or so ago.

ForumAdmin
13th March 2009, 09:10 AM
Having been through this myself my advice would be avoid the lawyer.

The legal process is so slow that it can take years and cost as much as the boat. In that time you are effectively not boating. I will have lost almost 3 years boating even this way, had I gone legal even longer.

My advice would be to mount a surgical publicity campaign that applied progressive and increasing pressure on the manufacturer and that it seems is what may now be happening.

I think Butterfly & Barnacle may now be under way to St Helena. lets wish them safe sailing

Sandy Daugherty
13th March 2009, 08:24 PM
I wouldn't want to be a builder
but if I was, I wouldn't want to build big boats
but if I did, I wouldn't build custom boats
but if I did, I wouldn't want to sell them
to anybody as fussy as me
who kept wanting to change things around
and expected the changes to happen without any delays
but if I did, I'd never do it twice!
And that's for sure.
I just can't get along with me.:rolleyes:

44C
13th March 2009, 09:23 PM
conventional stuffing boxes don't leak if you use modern goretex - carbon - teflon fiber packing,

Hang on, stuffing boxes are SUPPOSED to leak. At least a regular drip to keep the seal cool. Or does the modern packing not require this?

BigCat
14th March 2009, 12:27 AM
Hang on, stuffing boxes are SUPPOSED to leak. At least a regular drip to keep the seal cool. Or does the modern packing not require this?

http://www.e-marine-inc.com/products/gfopacking/packing.html

I prefer the traditional arrangement of a bronze stuffing (packing) box and modern packing to the patented devices, because every now and then they go very wrong. A lot of them rely on a thin synthetic rubber jacket to keep the boat from flooding-not wise, IMHO.

44C
14th March 2009, 09:29 PM
Ah.... VIRTUALLY dripless.

BigCat
15th March 2009, 01:49 AM
I thought their ad was pretty amusing - they seemed to take every possible position on the subject of whether it was dripless or not. It looked like the ad committee had a lawyer battling with an advertising exec. :rolleyes:

Try googling: saildrive problem

Some are satisfied and some have endless problems.

gideon
18th March 2009, 01:34 PM
Hallo Irony , yes still alive but just to busy , I did not notice that you had asked me any questions but you have my e mail address and my phone number so ask if you want.

Yes Butterfly is on its way , all problems out of the way
greetings

Sandy Daugherty
19th March 2009, 02:40 AM
When should we start looking for a new post from Butterfly?

gideon
19th March 2009, 07:29 AM
I am sure they will place posts again once in Brazil or St Helena/
She loves to write

Gideon

BigCat
19th March 2009, 04:32 PM
I am sure they will place posts again once in Brazil or St Helena/
She loves to write

Gideon She writes very well, too. Some of her descriptive passages of scenery are quite artistic. :)

KGP
1st April 2009, 05:35 AM
Posted by Gideon on CF last year at this time:
"Selling our cats is no problem we are sold out for almost 3 years and for the moment have stopped taking orders."

Looks like the hobby is trying to attract some folks this year. Perhaps the build time has been reduced and that three year order/build list has been reduced due to new efficiencies.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_l2nODDXOeHA/SdLuv1N0_OI/AAAAAAAAFwg/RtvZvMemUII/s576/fastcat_ad.jpg

gideon
1st April 2009, 03:33 PM
Posted by Gideon on CF last year at this time:
"Selling our cats is no problem we are sold out for almost 3 years and for the moment have stopped taking orders."

Looks like the hobby is trying to attract some folks this year. Perhaps the build time has been reduced and that three year order/build list has been reduced due to new efficiencies.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_l2nODDXOeHA/SdLuv1N0_OI/AAAAAAAAFwg/RtvZvMemUII/s576/fastcat_ad.jpg

Hallo KGB

How do you think these forums get paid for ?

They need sponsoring in some way shape or form , it is without cost to the forum members. we pay Google for paying ads and Google pays for the
being able to post ad on the forum.
We are able and happy to sponsor in this way.
We are still full until the middle of next year , we have moved into a new factory located 29.51'46.61" S 30.50'46.97" E with 5 x as much space.
And are still working to improve our products in weight, comfort and performance.
Greetings

Gideon

KGP
1st April 2009, 04:01 PM
Hallo KGB

How do you think these forums get paid for ?

They need sponsoring in some way shape or form , it is without cost to the forum members. we pay Google for paying ads and Google pays for the
being able to post ad on the forum.
We are able and happy to sponsor in this way.
We are still full until the middle of next year , we have moved into a new factory located 29.51'46.61" S 30.50'46.97" E with 5 x as much space.
And are still working to improve our products in weight, comfort and performance.
Greetings

Gideon

I'm not very smart. I have only started and operated 5 forums and never received a dime for my forum hobby efforts. I should have consulted you.

By reading what you wrote, it looks as though your sole intent is to support that forum. I don't see it implied that you are "advertising." It also looks like you don't need any new customers, so I guess if we want that forum to continue we should oblige you and click. Would have been easier for you to just write them a check [for the free advertising you get there].

And are still working to improve our products in weight, comfort and performance.You forgot quality control.

gideon
1st April 2009, 04:15 PM
Quality control is a ongoing item with every boatyard.
No I do this since I like to improve boats for a hobby.
However without selling boats the improvement stops.
Sponsoring in the form of advertising is also a help to improve boats since I get some of my ideas from forum's .
We are shortly starting on hull number 10 for the fastcat 445 a all carbon cat in order to improve strenght and lower the weight even more.
Building a 45 ft cat is no easy thing and yes things go wrong, this is no problem as long as the yard is willing and able to sort these items out.
If you build a product where a lot of innovation of the product is going on , more things will go wrong but on the other hand many things also go right, unfortunately some people only look at the things that have gone wrong and forget that the improvements during the building time of the boat take a lot of extra time but in the end make it a better product.
Greetings

gideon

BigCat
1st April 2009, 04:33 PM

New efficiencies and improvements? He must have a huge staff, then, since they spend so much time repairing, re-repairing, and repairing the re-re-rerepairs. Now an all carbon fiber model? OMG! He had raging electrolysis in the glass version-and carbon fiber is conductive. It doesn't bear thinking about. I doubt if they ever got to the bottom of the cause of the electrolysis problem of the B&Bs, and I expect to hear more about electrolysis problems until they do figure it out.

:rolleyes:

gideon
1st April 2009, 05:17 PM
Hallo Big Cat the winch manufacturer had delivered a faulty relay for the windlass and that caused the problem.
The nice thing is that it was the only electrolysis problem we have ever had.
How is your big cat coming along , have you started building her or still in the planning phase ?
Good luck with the project.
Gideon

ForumAdmin
1st April 2009, 05:49 PM
Gideon
Just a few things for the record.

If you now look at the multihull threads and posts, we now exceed the CF Multihull forum in quantity and, I think quality:)

We go not accept adverts or sponsorship and anything I do, I try to be as open as possible about it.

Why I am writing this?

Well in a roundabout way, you were the match that lit the fuse that started the forum, although it was the attitude of CF that was the basic cause of my rebellion.

So maybe you will appreciate that we can actually save you money because any advertising you do in our new products section, classified section, reviews section is all free and we are also a bigger forum!!!!

Its feels good that we have arrived at this position because the freedom of speech thing has actually won it and I just thought I should bang the drum a little.:)

KGP
1st April 2009, 06:13 PM
Sponsoring in the form of advertising is also a help to improve boats since I get some of my ideas from forum's .
Reading and participating in the CF forum is free. In fact, advertising on CF for you has always been free. Perhaps you are just now rewarding CF owners for past free advertisements.

We are shortly starting on hull number 10 for the fastcat 445 a all carbon cat in order to improve strenght and lower the weight even more.Based on Butterfly, we know a weight reduction is in order. And if people would have listened to those like Nordic and others, they would have figured out in advance that one would be needed [to meet your exuberant claims].

Building a 45 ft cat is no easy thing and yes things go wrong, this is no problem as long as the yard is willing and able to sort these items out.
No problem? Tell it to the owners that wait for their boats to be completed...

Have to run now - have some clicking to do. ::)
j/k

IreAneY
1st April 2009, 07:29 PM
we are also a bigger forum!!!!

Its feels good that we have arrived at this position because the freedom of speech thing has actually won it and I just thought I should bang the drum a little.:)

Has this not proved a big point that not only is this now a bigger forum but also the fact that we have full freedom of speech here, there is no trouble or crap from some immature uneducated mono sailors (not saying that all mono sailors are like this because they aren't) but CF seemed to have them see link (if you can be bothered) and look at #6 this forum has a mature and informative group of members without the need of dictatorial Moderators, how refreshing.

TYRNTLZRDKING
1st April 2009, 08:15 PM
Ian,

Post #6 is not negative about cats.

"Congrats!! Cat's are sick!!

I hope to be in your shoes within the next month, except my boat won't quite be in the same class (31-35ft mono).

Hope you enjoy!!"

Sick is a hip term for cool.

Better examples are easily found.

BigCat
1st April 2009, 08:38 PM
"The only obvious damage is a spectacularly corroded set of prop anodes - yet again. These are the third set. Remember, Butterfly has been in the water for 11 months now. Three sets of anodes in less than a year??? The bugger is that while we have spare anodes for the prop tips, we donít have the collar variety that fit between prop and saildrive. When I left them to come and type this, the search was on to try and find a decent substitute for those collar anodes to get us to Brazil, at least." -

http://butterflyandbarnacle.wordpress.com/author/butterflyandbarnacle/

What do you say, saildrive owners, is this par for the course, or is there a problem here?

IreAneY
1st April 2009, 09:20 PM
Ian,

Post #6 is not negative about cats.

"Congrats!! Cat's are sick!!

I hope to be in your shoes within the next month, except my boat won't quite be in the same class (31-35ft mono).

Hope you enjoy!!"

Sick is a hip term for cool.

Better examples are easily found.

Thanks Jeff for correcting me:o,

Oooops, Again a term used meaning something totally different across the water, now I know I won't forget.

Maybe we should have a section on words that have different meanings in different countries ie 'Thongs' that came in another thread where GlennC thought they were flip flops which was a term used in Australia for them but in the UK are ladies skimpy underwear and other words that are unique to a certain country such as 'Scouser' if you come from Liverpool in the UK.:confused:

ForumAdmin
1st April 2009, 09:47 PM
I was once in the USA at a Trade show, setting up a stand - almost 30 years ago.
We needed a rubber to rub out some pencil work and so we found the setup office and knocked at the glass window, a young girl of about 20 opened the window.

We asked her if she had a rubber and she was speechless - in fact in a sort of shock. Puzzled at this totally perplexed expression, I added for reassured that we would return it once we had used it. This seemed to make matters worse and she backed away at which point I added that once we had rubbed out the pencil work she could have the rubber back ... at which point she sighed 'Oh... you mean an eraser!!!' We both nodded and she physically recovered.:)

A people divided by a common language...

BigCat
1st April 2009, 11:31 PM
I was once in the USA at a Trade show, setting up a stand - almost 30 years ago.
We needed a rubber to rub out some pencil work and so we found the setup office and knocked at the glass window, a young girl of about 20 opened the window.

We asked her if she had a rubber and she was speechless - in fact in a sort of shock. Puzzled at this totally perplexed expression, I added for reassured that we would return it once we had used it. This seemed to make matters worse and she backed away at which point I added that once we had rubbed out the pencil work she could have the rubber back ... at which point she sighed 'Oh... you mean an eraser!!!' We both nodded and she physically recovered.:)

A people divided by a common language... Offering to return a used rubber! ::)

(For those who don't know US usage, a rubber is a condom.)

TYRNTLZRDKING
2nd April 2009, 12:05 AM
:D
Im diggin the crazy lingo yall use.
Hope to use it soon if I remember.

Cheers

jono
2nd April 2009, 01:21 AM
[quote=ireaney;5783 but CF seemed to have them see link (if you can be bothered) and look at #6 this forum has a mature and informative group of members without the need of dictatorial Moderators, how refreshing.[/quote]

Ian the link has currently nothing about this forum, seems the big "rubber" has been at it again!

I just love these pictures from Fastcats. 1:St Francis?, 2:Nice steps
:p jono

IreAneY
2nd April 2009, 10:03 AM
Ian the link has currently nothing about this forum, seems the big "rubber" has been at it again!

I just love these pictures from Fastcats. 1:St Francis?, 2:Nice steps
:p jono

Jono,
Now I am getting confused when you say BIG 'rubber' are you talking about your own personal appendage's requirement :eek: using it in the American sense, or do you mean a rubber (eraser) in the British sense:D.

jono
2nd April 2009, 01:32 PM
Jono,
Now I am getting confused when you say BIG 'rubber' are you talking about your own personal appendage's requirement :eek: using it in the American sense, or do you mean a rubber (eraser) in the British sense:D.

Ian, When you think Australian remember the white setters here came from mother England, so in OZ we also use 'rubber' instead of eraser (although some private school boys may use eraser), we have bikini thongs and footware thongs (pictured), across the 'ditch' the Kiwis (New Zealanders), they're a tuff bunch of 'bastards' (Aussie term for mate, like 'you old bastard'), they call their footware not thongs, but 'jandals or flipflops' and they speak real funny too.:p:p jono

jono
2nd April 2009, 02:09 PM
quote:gideon Hallo Irony , yes still alive but just to busy , I did not notice that you had asked me any questions but you have my e mail address and my phone number so ask if you wish.

Why phone or email when we have a Fastcat Owners Forum (http://www.multihulls4us.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9) to ask questions.
jono

IreAneY
2nd April 2009, 02:11 PM
Ian, When you think Australian remember the white setters here came from mother England, so in OZ we also use 'rubber' instead of eraser (although some private school boys may use eraser), we have bikini thongs and footware thongs (pictured), across the 'ditch' the Kiwis (New Zealanders), they're a tuff bunch of 'bastards' (Aussie term for mate, like 'you old bastard'), they call their footware not thongs, but 'jandals or flipflops' and they speak real funny too.:p:p jono

Cheers Cobber ::)

jono
2nd April 2009, 02:24 PM
Cheers Cobber ::)

Maaate thanks OK :D:D jono

Troutbridge
5th April 2009, 08:32 PM
THREE sets of anodes in a year? There's a problem!!! Forgive a BB385 owner visiting this forum, but my FIRST set of anodes is just about OK (in a year). They will need replacing at the next haul out (13 months). That includes about two months of the last twelve in various marinas.

BigCat
5th April 2009, 08:57 PM
THREE sets of anodes in a year? There's a problem!!! Forgive a BB385 owner visiting this forum, but my FIRST set of anodes is just about OK (in a year). They will need replacing at the next haul out (13 months). That includes about two months of the last twelve in various marinas.

Why shouldn't a BB385 owner visit this forum? Well, setting that aside, this is why I suspect that the B & B's electrolysis problems may not be whipped yet, but I wanted input from those with experience of saildrives, as I don't know just how much electrolysis one should expect from an aluminum saildrive.

2hullsgood1hullbad
6th April 2009, 12:16 PM
Why shouldn't a BB385 owner visit this forum? Well, setting that aside, this is why I suspect that the B & B's electrolysis problems may not be whipped yet, but I wanted input from those with experience of saildrives, as I don't know just how much electrolysis one should expect from an aluminum saildrive.

In my experience with saildrives, using both Gori bronze props and cheap aluminium props, there is no issue with electrolysis affecting the saildrive itself. But the anodes on the bronze props take a fair bit of wear. With the aluminium props there is only the anode on the saildrive itself, behind the prop, and these last very well. Having just hauled after a year with the aluminium props, the anodes are barely worn; previously with the Gori props I've seen the prop anodes looking very poor after a similar period of time, the saildrive anodes also. Still, they've always lasted until the next haulout but then I spend probably only a week a year in a marina and I think that makes a huge difference - maybe that's the cause of Butterfly's alarming rate of anode wear...?

BigCat
6th April 2009, 07:33 PM
In my experience with saildrives, using both Gori bronze props and cheap aluminium props, there is no issue with electrolysis affecting the saildrive itself. But the anodes on the bronze props take a fair bit of wear. With the aluminium props there is only the anode on the saildrive itself, behind the prop, and these last very well. Having just hauled after a year with the aluminium props, the anodes are barely worn; previously with the Gori props I've seen the prop anodes looking very poor after a similar period of time, the saildrive anodes also. Still, they've always lasted until the next haulout but then I spend probably only a week a year in a marina and I think that makes a huge difference - maybe that's the cause of Butterfly's alarming rate of anode wear...? I think they were always on a mooring, rather than at a dock with shore power.

gideon
6th April 2009, 08:57 PM
In not one of the cases did the anodes need replacement but if a boat is out of the water it is just as easy to do so if the anodes are at 60 or 70 %.
That was the first time of replacement, the second time on request of the owner a new set was supplied and placed because this new type was replaceable under water with out removing the props and the weight of the anodes was again over 70 % of the original weight.
Greetings
Gideon

BigCat
6th April 2009, 09:39 PM
In not one of the cases did the anodes need replacement but if a boat is out of the water it is just as easy to do so if the anodes are at 60 or 70 %.
That was the first time of replacement, the second time on request of the owner a new set was supplied and placed because this new type was replaceable under water with out removing the props and the weight of the anodes was again over 70 % of the original weight.
Greetings
Gideon

http://butterflyandbarnacle.wordpress.com/2009/03/10/

KGP
7th April 2009, 06:06 AM
http://butterflyandbarnacle.wordpress.com/2009/03/10/

The comment portion of that page is interesting too: http://butterflyandbarnacle.wordpress.com/2009/03/10/yet-again/#comments
Good thing there are a few places that freedom of speech still reign.

http://butterflyandbarnacle.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/corroded-starboard-anode-100309.jpg

jono
7th April 2009, 07:57 AM
Greetings
Gideon

(Thanks for the close up KGP). Yep Yep, 70% still left on this one... jono

Tulliana
7th April 2009, 02:33 PM
I spoke with Dick and Karen on Butterfly about the anode problem when they were in Cape Town. Elliott Basin is where all of the Leopards, Dean and a number of other Cats are launched and kept. Unfortunately it's a commercial basin which is constructed with metal pilings, on top of that the whole of the east side are huge boatyards where they are welding 24 hours a day. The place is renouned for eating anodes due the metal pilings and stray currents.
We had to have our Brunton folding prop anodes replaced as soon as we got to Tenerife as they had completely disappeared. I put most of this wear down to staying in Elliot Basin for a couple of months before departure.

BigCat
7th April 2009, 05:33 PM
I spoke with Dick and Karen on Butterfly about the anode problem when they were in Cape Town. Elliott Basin is where all of the Leopards, Dean and a number of other Cats are launched and kept. Unfortunately it's a commercial basin which is constructed with metal pilings, on top of that the whole of the east side are huge boatyards where they are welding 24 hours a day. The place is renouned for eating anodes due the metal pilings and stray currents.
We had to have our Brunton folding prop anodes replaced as soon as we got to Tenerife as they had completely disappeared. I put most of this wear down to staying in Elliot Basin for a couple of months before departure.

Well, I hope that is the explanation, and that B and B have licked their electrolysis problem, as well as all their other problems.

ForumAdmin
7th April 2009, 06:31 PM
Has anyone heard from Dick and Karen?

2hullsgood1hullbad
8th April 2009, 12:43 AM
I think, if I remember correctly, that Gori (or was it Yanmar?) suggest replacement of the anodes when they're 50% worn. The pics from Butterfly clearly show more wear than this - Gideon why are you yet again claiming something that's quite clearly untrue? 70% left? My arse!! Will you never learn that exaggeration and porky-pies on a forum are so easily seen through?:eek:

KGP
8th April 2009, 05:34 AM
Where is this so called "private forum (http://butterflyandbarnacle.wordpress.com/2009/03/10/yet-again/#comments)" for customers and prospective customers of African Cats?

While reading the B&B blog, I noticed that many months ago Gideon asked (http://butterflyandbarnacle.wordpress.com/contact/) Dick and Karen permission to place a link for their blog on his website. I wonder why it doesn't appear as a link on his web (http://www.africancats.com/links.asp)?

2hulls, what in the world is "porky pies?"

jono
8th April 2009, 06:13 AM
2hulls, what in the world is "porky pies?"

'porky-pies' means "Lies", (A falsehood uttered or acted for the purpose of deception; an intentional violation of truth; an untruth spoken with
the intention to deceive)... :p jono

BigCat
8th April 2009, 06:06 PM
'porky pies' means "Lies", (A falsehood uttered or acted for the purpose of deception; an intentional violation of truth; an untruth spoken with
the intention to deceive)... :p jono This would, I assume, be an example of cockney rhyming slang?

jono
9th April 2009, 12:53 AM
This would, I assume, be an example of cockney rhyming slang?

I'm sure you're right BigCat. 'Lies,Pies,Porky-Pies'. Can we have conformation from our British mates!:D jono

ForumAdmin
9th April 2009, 01:00 AM
I am not from London but I think you are right!:)

2hullsgood1hullbad
9th April 2009, 12:37 PM
Yep, sorry for the confusion, porky-pies are indeed lies, my old chinas!

jono
9th April 2009, 12:55 PM
Yep, sorry for the confusion, porky-pies are indeed lies, my old chinas!

Just for the love of cockney rhyming how does 'chinas' derive from mate/friend?..:) jono

ForumAdmin
9th April 2009, 01:41 PM
. China = china plate = mate

ForumAdmin
9th April 2009, 01:43 PM
To add to that, your old china was what you took care of - it was precious.
So,my guess is that this was the start of it..... only a guess.

IreAneY
9th April 2009, 05:40 PM
I think it would be a good idea to start this thread in the new MEMBERS BAR section and then we could add lists of cockney rhyming slang while we drink a nice cup of 'rosie lee'.:)

ForumAdmin
9th April 2009, 08:14 PM
Ok then go ahead.:)

IreAneY
9th April 2009, 08:56 PM
Ok then go ahead.:)

Thanks Boss, I will start off with what I think was stated in 'The 9 O'clock news' many years ago. :D:D

Please now go to the 'MEMBERS BAR

gideon
11th April 2009, 08:05 AM
Has anyone heard from Dick and Karen?

When they left cape Town 4 weeks ago they told me they would head straight for Brazil and they expected it to take one month so we should hear from them shortly. besides they have every way off communication equipement on board , sat phone. SSB, VHF and Epirb so if they needed to get in touch they would have.
Greetings

Gideon

Sandy Daugherty
11th April 2009, 03:19 PM
They made it! see their blog. More soon!

ForumAdmin
12th April 2009, 01:35 AM
I have read the long blog and enjoyed it very much.

They have had a great time, learnt a lot and whilst having various gremlins they are through the worst.

Its seems the love doing Ocean Passages.

Karen really should write a book, her Blog is very good.

She was mugged in Brazil - her necklace was ripped off but she has taken that in her stride.

I am so very pleased that all has turned out well or them and once the gremlins are sorted with the boat they can continue to enjoy her - they deserve every but of joy after their long wait.

IreAneY
22nd April 2009, 06:31 PM
Ooops, Diesel leak problems from the other tank, which they were assured was OK, you read, you decide.
http://butterflyandbarnacle.wordpress.com/