PDA

View Full Version : Leopard 44

Headin'South
25th May 2012, 12:31 AM
Hi all - A powerboater here considering the move to a sailing cat, would appreciate any advice I can get. Specifically, we would like to learn more about the Leopard 44 as it is on our shortlist. Would love to get feedback from any members who have knowledge of the 44 with likes or dislikes and ideally someone who has actually purchased a new Leopard 44. Very curious as to what a new 44 could be bought for. Also interested in a Lagoon 420 and maybe a new or used Leopard 46 or Knysna 48.
Steve

Murph2012
22nd June 2012, 02:45 AM
Steve:

The owners can answer many of your questions, but I can help you with your curiosity about the costs to buy. At this time, a new Leopard 44 fitted for cruising, delivered to the east coast of the US, would run about $570K to $630K, depending on the options selected. For more details call me in Annapolis at 800 672 1327 or email me at allen.murphy@leopardcatamarans.com.

Antares
24th June 2012, 08:02 PM
Hi all - A powerboater here considering the move to a sailing cat, would appreciate any advice I can get. Specifically, we would like to learn more about the Leopard 44 as it is on our shortlist. Would love to get feedback from any members who have knowledge of the 44 with likes or dislikes and ideally someone who has actually purchased a new Leopard 44. Very curious as to what a new 44 could be bought for. Also interested in a Lagoon 420 and maybe a new or used Leopard 46 or Knysna 48.
Steve
I recomand a Leopard, but: Do not buy it used from a Charter company...especially not from Morrings. I did and I had to spend about 60 k for repairs in the first 2 years!

brasstacks
26th June 2012, 07:47 PM
Post your question on the leopard yahoo groups forum (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LeopardCat/), they a re a very knowledgable bunch.

I have an ex mooring 45 and are very happy with my purchase. They are great boats and built well.

D&D
27th June 2012, 02:19 AM
Steve

Hi Steve,

We're not long emerged from a similar transition process, altho we were moving from mono's to 'the dark side'!:rolleyes

Take your time. Each vessel has its own features amoungst the HUGE variety of available choices. So selecting which features best suit you is all about knowing your own priorities. Our experience -- We spent ~4yrs looking -- suggests you will learn a LOT about your own priorities as you go through the process.

FWIW -- Everyone's priorities are of course unique! -- our experience suggests you should also look at used Lagoon 440's.

In any event, good luck in your search.:thumb

FLLCatsailor
2nd August 2012, 10:23 PM
I tried to post a reply up here earlier today, but it didn't go through.

I am a HUGE fan of the L44... I have delivered and sailed them numerous times. The boat sails well. I made a run from one from St. Pete to Key West without the speedo dropping below 8.5kts. Truly amazing sailing.

I taught Murph2012 how to dock a catamaran on one as well!

The biggest complaint people make about them is the fwd cockpit area. I have been in BIG seas in a Leopard 44 and not once had an issue with it filling up with water. I have done a lot of commissioning work on these yachts in Ft. Lauderdale, and not once has a delivery crew made a comment of the FWD cockpit being a problem. It seems to me that the people making the most noise about the design are armchair sailors.

Just my $.02's

FLLCatsailor
2nd August 2012, 10:26 PM
Hi Steve,

We're not long emerged from a similar transition process, altho we were moving from mono's to 'the dark side'!:rolleyes

Take your time. Each vessel has its own features amoungst the HUGE variety of available choices. So selecting which features best suit you is all about knowing your own priorities. Our experience -- We spent ~4yrs looking -- suggests you will learn a LOT about your own priorities as you go through the process.

FWIW -- Everyone's priorities are of course unique! -- our experience suggests you should also look at used Lagoon 440's.

In any event, good luck in your search.:thumb

I am not a fan of the 440 because of the flybridge layout... It is too exposed to the elements and isolated to far from the rest of the people you are sailing with...

lhsmith
11th August 2012, 03:33 PM
FLLCatsailor: What's your view of the hull flex issue the Leopard 44 had and what was done to fix it? Would you define more explicitly the rough conditions that you sailed in on the 44?
Thanks.

FLLCatsailor
11th August 2012, 09:32 PM
LH,

I was bringing a L44 back from St Pete this past December,and had 30kts out of the north east from marathon to ftl. Once we made the turn north at key largo the boat really settled in nicely. Before that it was a bit slow motoring into a pretty steep swell.

The boat I was on was an early hull before the tabbing was done. I didn't feel the slightest bit of flex. When we got back to FLL just cats did the warranty work, and significantly beefed up the hull.

I talk to the current owner on a regular basis and he is very happy with the warranty work. His only complaint was that a little dirt got into the gel coat before it cured so it is miss colored. Of course R&C are fixing this under warranty.

The hulls they are producing now have all of the nesecary tabbing done on the initial layup. I was out sailing with some friends last week, and the few things I didn't like about the early hulls have since been addressed.

Pm if you want to chat more about the L44

drunknsailor
12th August 2012, 04:58 AM
How would you compare the l44 sailing to the l46 and 47?

FLLCatsailor
14th August 2012, 04:27 PM
It is like comparing apples to oranges to grapes...

All three boats are completely different.

The L46 is a far more comfortable boat to liveaboard than the L47...

The L47 is a very heavy well built boat, but has low bridge deck, and not the best layout.

Comparing the Leopard 44 to the Leopard 46 is like comparing a BMW 540 to a BMW 740. Different class of vessel all together in terms of size

drunknsailor
14th August 2012, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the reply FLL,

I was just trying to get comparisons from someone who has sailed all three boats. I have only sailed the 46. Some of the moorings staff say that the 47 is faster than the 46. I doubt it but was looking for a first hand comparison.

Regarding the 44, the salesman said it will outrun the 46 but again, I doubt it as it is a heavier boat on less waterline. What peaked my interest was your comment that the 44 sails well. That begs the question, will it indeed outrun the larger 46?

Thanks,

FLLCatsailor
14th August 2012, 08:19 PM
Drunknsailor,

I have sailed all three boats quite a bit. When I was working as a base manager for the Moorings in the windwards when it came to daysailing I loved taking the L47 out because of how well she sailed in the heavy christmas winds. She was a bit of a pain to sail because of the way the jib sheets were on opposite sides of the boat. Due to the lower bridge deck clearance there was a bit of slapping when sailing to weather. I think armchair sailors tend to worry about bridge deck clearance way too much... In all of the sailing I have done on a L47 I've never had any major issues with the slapping. The transom on the L47 was great for access to the water for either diving or landing a fish...

If I was going out for a day sail with friends to the Tobago Cays, or over nighting with the girlfriend for a few days we would only take Leopard 46's because of how great the layouts are. Sailing wise they are just as quick as the Leopard 47, and slap less because of the higher bridge deck clearance. I tended to always reef a bit earlier on the L46 than most. I once made a run from Canouan to Grenada (60nm) in under 7 hours.

The L44 is a great boat, but like I said in my earlier post she is in a different class size wise. She is a stout boat, but she has a great rig, and a hull that is very easy to drive to her full potential. There is a great video on youtube of one of crew bringing a boat to Tahiti hitting 11+ knots with the autopilot on, and enjoying breakfast. I have made some great runs on L44's both on short trips (Ft Laudedale to Miami) and longer offshore passages.

I really love the look, and layout of the L44 I think she is a huge step forward in catamaran design, and I can't wait to see her bigger sisters when they make it stateside.

PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks for the reply FLL,

I was just trying to get comparisons from someone who has sailed all three boats. I have only sailed the 46. Some of the moorings staff say that the 47 is faster than the 46. I doubt it but was looking for a first hand comparison.

Regarding the 44, the salesman said it will outrun the 46 but again, I doubt it as it is a heavier boat on less waterline. What peaked my interest was your comment that the 44 sails well. That begs the question, will it indeed outrun the larger 46?

Thanks,

Headin'South
18th September 2012, 03:49 AM
Forgot I started this thread and failed to follow - my bad.
We did in fact purchase the 44 in late June and couldnt be happier. We are again, novice sailors but have been quite pleased with how she sails. Many told us that the L44 would sail no better than the Lagoon 420 but I would heartedly disagree - the L44 is a fast boat. I talked with a delivery Captain that arrived from S Africa and he says in his opinion, the 44 is a better sailer than the 46 having delivered several 46's.
As far as liveability, we find the 44 to be very comfortable and ample storage. I am amazed at how easy the 44 is to work on having added several options and making wiring or plumbing runs a snap. The forward cockpit is and not the least worried that it will be a problem as some fear.
We do have a "popping sound" while in more than flat seas, emanating from somewhere midship on the port. We are thinking it might be related to the bulkhead fix. Waiting now to get a determination from the Mooring and what the sound might be.
We would be glad to share our thoughts on the L44 that anyone might want to inquire about.

searenitysail
19th September 2012, 02:08 AM
Steve,

Congrats on the L44. We saw/got on one at the Newport Boat Show this weekend. Wow! what a beautiful boat.

My wife still hasn't bought into long-term cruising, but she said she could live on that!

Good luck and smooth sailing!

Marshall

Headin'South
20th September 2012, 07:15 PM
Thanks Marshall

Keep working on the wife - It will be worth it.

Steve

Mate
15th November 2012, 10:08 PM
Sorry for a late post , but looking up info on the L44 , out of interest.
There was a little talk about bridgdeck clearance, but not on the L44.
What is the bridgedeck clearance on the L44. Hows the slapping.
Any futher thoughts or comments from owners/ delivery skippers.
They look very livable , with good sailing ability. One comment said, easy to get the full potential out of the L44. For more novice sailers , this would also be a plus.
Maybe the new L48 would be nice, but Im more interested in hearing about the L44
Cheers Mate

rgesner
1st January 2013, 01:56 AM
<snip>
There was a little talk about bridgdeck clearance, but not on the L44.
What is the bridgedeck clearance on the L44. <snip>

See http://northernmultihulls.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/13-leopard-44-technical-specifications.pdf for complete tech specs, including bridgedeck clearance. I measured one aft and it appeared to match the spec clearance.

- Rusty

D&D
1st January 2013, 02:39 AM
...talk about bridgdeck clearance...Hows the slapping.
Any futher thoughts or comments from owners/ delivery skippers.

There is a LOT of talk around about bridgedeck clearance. Leopard's oft-suggested reputation for low bridgedeack clearance probably ought to be (1) confined to older models and (2) in any event assessed against Leopard's long-established practice of delivering their vessels worlwide on their own bottoms. The delivery experience alone should give a Leopard buyer a lot of confidence.

FWIW we'll chip in with our experiences of quite a different L44...our Lagoon 440. We can speak with >20000nm 'blue water' under our hulls, including many tough conditions along the way. We crossed both the Atlantic and the Pacific and the Med in winter, although our toughest conditions by far were crossing the Tasman Sea in winter. We experienced slamming, for sure -- we very seriously doubt ANY cat could've avoided slamming in some of the conditions we sailed in -- but only infrequently. So we'll give the designers at VPLP (for Lagoon) a big 'tick' on their bridgedeck design which combines both clearance and the gull wing design to mitigate the wave action against the bridgedeck.

Our experiences on both our L440 and on other cats in blue water as well point to two other criteria that are very important in assessing likely slamming, viz. (1) hull width and (2) underdeck shape. If you're on a reasonably modern cat (<10yrs old?) and your hulls are fat (thus reducing the loss of clearance with added weight AND providing additional bouyancy against wave action) and you have some shape (other than basically flat) under the bridgedeck to break up approaching water, you should travel comfortably. Just a bit further on the shape issue, however, cats with sharply chimed hulls above the water line (to give added room inside of course) seem prone to increased slamming.

If Mate's looking for a used vessel, we might also note that there are a LOT of Lagoon 440's out there such that the market depth may present some worthwhile opportunities...? Just some thoughts...

Good luck in your search!:thumb