PDA

View Full Version : Leopard 48

jacksin
24th September 2012, 04:45 PM
The L48 is in Cruising World, looks like the 44.

http://www.cruisingworld.com/gallery/sailboats/leopard-48

Ozmultis
25th September 2012, 12:17 AM
Much worse than the 44. Quite fugly.

I dont get it - Since morelli and melvin came on board Leopard made some nice, properly thought out cruising boats. The 44 was little off and this 48 looks to be carrying lumps of weight to almost the bow.

jacksin
25th September 2012, 03:17 PM
Love the 46, this looks like a larger 44.

makingtheswitch
2nd October 2012, 01:42 AM
Actual pics are now on the Leopard website: www.leopardcatamarans.com (http://www.leopardcatamarans.com). Will reserve comments until after the Annapolis boat show.

makingtheswitch
9th October 2012, 09:04 PM
Curious what others may think of the new Simonis-designed Leopard 48, which was previewed at the Annapolis Boat Show. I found the galley, which is now on the port side of the salon, less user-friendly than the L-46. For example, unlike on the L46, the galley drawers do not pull out of the cabinets, making finding silverware and utensils a pain for the chef. Also, the only way to get on top of the hardtop bimini is by climbing two molded steps located on either the port or starboard side of the outer salon (just forward of the helm station), using what I believe are insufficent handrails. Sure miss having those louvers up front, which made access to the mast or boom easy and safe. I am sure neither of these issues is a big deal for a week-long charterer, but a full-time liveaboard cruiser might feel otherwise. My first mate absolutely hated the galley. Also, while were aboard, a rather large man (275+ pounds) was walking through the starboard hull toward the forward head (Owner's version) and, upon stepping on a removable section of the floorboard, it gave way. His foot/ankle went down into the bilge, causing him to almost fall down. He was lucky he didn't break an ankle. Upon checking several removable floorboards on the other hull, several of us questioned the integrity of them, as well (not the floor boards themselves, but the design used to hold them in place).

On the plus side, the L48 is a more than a foot beamier than the L46, and just about everyone I spoke to loved the new front seating area, which is fully-shaded by the forward-extending hardtop bimini, and accessed forward through the salon (as in the L44). The Owner's cabin has shelves along the hull, which were lacking on the L46. The desk in the Owner's version starboard hull is longer than on the L46; not sure if there was a clamoring for more "office space," but I'm sure R&C didn't do that merely on a hunch.

Interesting that the base price (not including the boat show discount), is $559K, which is $10K LESS than the $569K base price on the L46.

My guess is this yacht will do very well in charter. I was told by a Moorings sales rep that there were 191 L46s sold privately (not in charter), of which over 95% were Owner's versions. Time will tell if the L48 will enjoy that type of success.

searenitysail
10th October 2012, 01:13 AM
Much worse than the 44. Quite fugly.

I dont get it - Since morelli and melvin came on board Leopard made some nice, properly thought out cruising boats. The 44 was little off and this 48 looks to be carrying lumps of weight to almost the bow.

Andrew,
Interesting you mention that. Morrelli & Melvin are not mentioned anywhere on the Leopard web site, nor do they take credit on their web site for any Leopard catamarans other than the Leopard 38, 40, 44 and 46. http://www.morrellimelvin.com/leopard/

Marshall

yado
10th October 2012, 01:57 PM
The Leopard 48 is a huge boat built for socializing and with good flow. From the dock one could board on to the aft deck and make his way through the aft deck, on forward through the salon, out through the front door and into the front cockpit covered seating area and exit onto the bow...all without ducking or bumping his head!

You can't do that on the new Leopard 44 because it does not have the sliding hatch on the fore-seating area, but I think they'll change that on the 46 which will most likely follow soon.

#1 Complaint about both boats: No aft storage for toys and dive tanks. I did not see any place aft that one could store the stuff. There are two smallish storage areas under the seats but not "garage" like on Antares, for example.

But for the money saved ($450,000 less than the Antares) I could live with that. You'd have to haul it to the fore storage deck spaces.

Another plus for the Leopard 44/48 is the cockpit deck material. It looks and feels like wood but it's a rubber sheet material and great non-skid. I was told you could drop heavy tanks on it and it won't dent the deck or leave a mark, so the floor looks like new all the time. It can be cleaned with a scuff pad and soap (with the grain, it has a grain).

DITB
3rd December 2012, 01:00 PM
I am seriously looking at ordering a Leopard 48, including some of the extras.

Suggestions of what to get, and what not to get, is appreciated.

Ah, you need more info, well, we are a couple going to live on it most of the time, even when berthed, so we are looking at washer-dryer, air condition and so on, but also interested in maxing out solar panels, maybe a (near silent) wind turbine and some other extras like a water maker.

Anyone heard of delivery dates for new orders?

DITB
6th December 2012, 01:04 AM
I am seriously looking at ordering a Leopard 48, including some of the extras.

We are going for the L44, as we can possibly have one already by christmas :)

If it wasn't for the backlog, I would still have considered the L48 though.

dmmbruce
6th December 2012, 12:55 PM

Sometimes the better one is worth waiting for. ;)

We all see things differently, but if I had the money etc etc, then after looking at the Leopard site, I would certainly wait for the L48.

Anyway, good luck with your choice. If you want a perfect Christmas present, the L44 looks wonderful!

Cheers!

Mike

yado
7th December 2012, 01:28 PM
DITB,
I know it's been covered but to reiterate, I'm realizing more and more that the haul out width of a boat and where you plan to sail are important factors to consider. I too like the 48 but on the Chesapeake the there are few choices to haul a boat with the beam of the 48, whereas you can haul a 44 in many places.
In Florida haul out would not be a problem.

makingtheswitch
5th February 2013, 05:05 PM
Has anyone received any feedback on the L48 from new owners? My understanding is Hull #9 is next to arrive around mid-year. I don't believe any are available for charter in the Moorings fleet until April 2013 or so. I must say, notwithstanding limited available information, (and no information as to its sailing characteristics, or how the lack of a traveler is working out, etc.), I am looking forward to spending time on the L48 at the Miami Boat Show, with the thought of ordering one. I've concluded that my initial (and minor) reservations of the L48 after touring one at the Annapolis Boat Show are small and acceptable compromises on what otherwise appears to be another great yacht from R&C. Comments from new owners would really be appreciated.

DITB
6th February 2013, 04:00 AM

We ended up getting a 55' Schionning 1620 Wilderness designed cat, second hand.