PDA

View Full Version : Trinidad is decomposing

BrianH
27th April 2013, 06:14 PM
On this my 4th trip to Trinidad, I note that the social fabric of the nation is entering an advanced state of decay, particularly in the North. Crime is rampant. We just had our apartment burglarized and lost an ipad and iphone. If you come here, keep your valuables with you at all times and do not trust ANYONE to protect your interests.

To be fair the police seemed competent and truly interested in catching the guy, which should not be hard since all of his movements were tracked by multiple video cameras. This includes his steady gaze directly at the camera that recorded him sawing the bars off the windows of our little apartment and hoisting himself up through the window, as well as leaving through the front door with out stuff in hand.

Families in the North consist mostly of women and several children usually fathered by almost as many men who are, as you might expect, totally absent and worthless as human beings. Most of the "men" stand around doing nothing when they are not in the bars (which open at 0800). I have not performed anything like a scientific survey or statistical analysis, but just looking around, it is clear that it is the women who do most of the work and hold down the jobs in the Northern area of Trinidad. Down in the South things are much better. Crime is definitely lower and seeing a man go to work to support his family is actually not a rare thing.

But in the North, things are just falling apart. Jobless, hopeless little groups of men stand around in the street, usually drinking themselves into a stupor by noon. Starving children are easily spotted wandering aimlessly along the two-lane highway.

Many people are "nice" here, but most of them want something. That is not always the case. One man went out of his way to help us jump-start the dead battery in my friend's car in a busy parking lot in Arima. Most people we asked however, told us that they would not help, usually making some silly excuse or other. My friends are life-long "Trinnis" who also lived in the U.S. for several years. They say that upon returning they could tell that the country had begun to unravel. Today they continue to try to help the people in their community, but are always looking over their shoulder (so to speak) and taking measures to keep themselves safe.

The best advice for cruisers or really anyone is stay away from Trinidad. It's a pit of crime, social decay and depravation in the North. And while down in the south things are noticeably better, there are no marinas or good anchorages anyway.

Cri

georgetheleo
28th April 2013, 04:04 PM
Deleted - PM if you wish to discuss George.

Ozmultis

tamicatana
29th April 2013, 02:29 PM
My ex went there for business years ago, actually to Tobago, and I recall him telling me that Trinidad wasn't the nicest of the two islands way back then (15-18 years) and that Tobago was far nicer place