PDA

View Full Version : Leopard 40 davits max weight?

simonmd
2nd August 2013, 12:30 PM
Would like to know the max and safe load for the davits on a 2006 Leopard 40. Ive seen many with large tender/outboard setups but I have as friend who wants to know if an Avon Jetrib will work. Thanks.

JustCatamarans
9th August 2013, 09:03 PM
I think the max is around 150kg.
A jetrib would be way too much IMO, we have reinforced plenty of broken 40 davits for this reason.
Kent

Karen
9th August 2013, 10:10 PM
Just to echo Kent's comments. We chartered a Leopard 40 some years ago in the BVIs. Saw that several of the Leopard 40 charter boats had broken davits. Don't want to overload them, that's for sure.

simonmd
9th August 2013, 10:25 PM
Thanks, just as I thought. I've been quoted 200kg elsewhere but as a jetrib is about 230, i'll deff' be telling him it's not going to work!

Peter
10th August 2013, 10:00 AM
Thanks, just as I thought. I've been quoted 200kg elsewhere but as a jetrib is about 230, i'll deff' be telling him it's not going to work!

I think he is over optimistic regarding weight. The smallest "JetRib" is 255kg (empty). By the time you have added fuel, an anchor, flares, locks, chains, maybe a cover and sundry bits and pieces this is going to be a lot more.... 300kg??

simonmd
10th August 2013, 02:18 PM
We're agreed it's a 'no' then... ;)

Think we'll go with a standard rib and a Honda 10hp :cool:

:thanks

2hulls
10th August 2013, 03:25 PM
Regarding dinghy size and weights, some cruisers, including us, didn't realize how difficult it is to drag a dinghy above the tide line on a beach until the first time we had to do it. Fortunately we had inherited a dinghy small enough for us to do it, but it was still very trying. When we ultimately replaced that dinghy the "we'll have to drag it up the beach" design criteria became the most important factor in selecting a new model - more important than keeping the dink light for minimizing weight on the mothership.

For cruising preferences that don't include exploring isolated beaches or landing where dinghy docks don't exist, smaller dinks are a must, especially for cruising couples. JMHO

2 Hulls Dave