PDA

View Full Version : Leopard 46 Test Sail

ForumAdmin
4th October 2008, 01:23 PM
Here you can see the test sail of the Leopard 46
Click Here (http://www.gludy.co.uk/videogalleryboat.cfm)

Ozmultis
4th October 2008, 01:57 PM
Pretty Good Paul - but I liked the St Franics one a little more. (I also like the St Francis boat a little more so perhaps its just my bias).

ForumAdmin
4th October 2008, 02:00 PM
I agree - there was more things happening on the St Francis sail plus we had wind instruments.

The next one is a 30 to 40 minute epic with a lot of depth to it.

OkinawaCat
4th October 2008, 02:05 PM
Hello Everyone, I am new to the forum. I live in Okinawa and Yokohama / Tokyo Japan. Recently ordered a Leopard 46 which is due in Spring. Everything is a new experience to me, so now I am trying to learn as much as possible including sailing with friends to gain experience and obtaining my Japanese boat licence.
I look forward to hearing from all you experienced sailors out there.

Sincerely,

Brent

Ozmultis
4th October 2008, 02:10 PM
Hi Brent

Care to share why you chose the Leopard, its always interesting to hear different peoples views and assessments, particularly those who are actually spending their own money.

ForumAdmin
4th October 2008, 02:12 PM
We were impressed with the Leopard - there are a lot of small well thought out details no doubt as a result of them making so many. Its also a fairly fast sailing boat.

Are you having yours altered outside the normal options?

Where do you intend to sail?

OkinawaCat
4th October 2008, 02:50 PM
Hello Andrew and Paul,
Such a fast response. For Paul's question, I plan to first sail all over Okinawa, which has a lot of islands very good to sail to all the way down to Yonaguni Island which has the oldest underwater city in the world. Takes about 30 hours to get there, and you can see Taiwan from there, but still Japan. After that, I can not say until I research more.

As for Andrew's question. Hmmm many reasons I guess. I got a lot of info about the boat far and beyond the brochure. Talked to a couple owners directly. It was the perfect balance of many things equalling the perfect boat for me. In point form here is what I liked.
1) Looks good
2) Options were almost 1/2 the cost or other boats.
3) Quality looked in the upper end.
4) Layout was best by far for me. I think this boat has so many ZONES to sit and enjoy. The front Trampoline is one big one, not 2 smaller ones. Back seating in the sun, walk through all one level. Helm is covered with a hard top. This is a HUGE one for me. If there is no cover over the helm, I would melt in the heat here, plus rain squalls. I guess the rest of the world isn't that hot, and rarely rains. Really wonder what the owners of those 60' plus boats do in the scorching heat and rain? Not very luxurious I feel.
5) Inside is laid out well. It has a kitchen not a galley. At any point there is a view from inside. Also the back door really opens up to the back making it one big space. Also the door isn't too small like many Cats So can move around with space. The bar type Counter top great for serving.
6) The walkways in the hulls look much wider than most. I think you can walk down them instead of walking sideways to get to your bed.
7) Everything has a choice of colours.
8) The back bench seat lowers do to become another access point from the water, making the whole back accessible now.
9) Back to the helm. I can talk to people up on the tramp, or out back from the helm. Also better view, and I have the fully enclosed option as well as all the sun blinds around the back.
10) Use all good brand parts, so can easily get to repair.
11) Performs quite well considering it is more of a luxurious cat with all the options.
12) I got a wicked deal on it!
13) The Moorings, were extremely professional in selling the boat, and feel confident in the way they dealt with all my nagging questions.
14) Also bought in on a bit of a whim. But I am sure I will enjoy it.

OkinawaCat
4th October 2008, 02:55 PM
Hi Paul,
Sorry forgot to answer.
I ordered a Genneker and pretty much all the options, even washer dryer. I wanted to spoil myself. Noticed your post on the antifouling device. Might like to try that out.

Cheers

Brent

IreAneY
4th October 2008, 07:06 PM
Pretty Good Paul - but I liked the St Franics one a little more. (I also like the St Francis boat a little more so perhaps its just my bias).
Ditto, Ditto, great delivery again, looking forward to the others.
Ian

Ozmultis
7th October 2008, 01:07 PM
Hello Andrew and Paul, .........

14) Also bought in on a bit of a whim. But I am sure I will enjoy it.

And at the end of the day its your money and your choices, it is interesting that things some people find a plus I find a negative, and vice versa, just goes to show there is no one right answer. The Later leopards as designed by Morelli and Melvin I quite like, the earlier ones prior to the mOrelli and Melvin influence didnt grab me as much.

ANd Okinawa cat, let me tell you that one thing we agree on very much is sun protection. So bloody important here.

OkinawaCat
9th October 2008, 05:07 AM
Yes, every one has different views on beauty. I have to consider it daily, as my job was first interior design for 10 years and now product design for another 10 years. I totally know what you mean, and it is an art to understand what is pleasurable in the general public's eye.
I think this cat is really beautiful. http://www.catalibi.fr/main.html

As for interior design, seems like all the designs need a lot of improvements there. Clash in colours, textures, flow from space to space as well as making use of space best. Also overkill with the bathrooms. Could be used for a second lounge area, which I have yet found in any Cat under 50 ft. Outside space should be considered more as well. (I know designed for Charter, but still...)

Just my opinion up to know, but this is coming from some one who is inexperienced in Catamarans, so I am sure I will learn reasons why things are done the way they are more and more as I gain experience.

I look forward to hearing from all you.

Sincerely,

Brent

johnnyq
21st October 2008, 01:15 PM
Hey Guys

We have just been to the Annapolis boat show and are totally smitten with the Leopard 46. We had been looking at monohulls, specifically the new Jeanneau 50ds, when we got blindsided by the 46. Does anyone have any concerns about the balsa core below the waterline. Nevermind this propaganda about end to end balsa cubes.

Cheers
j

ForumAdmin
22nd October 2008, 07:11 PM
I thought about that a lot when considering that boat - the fact is they have made hundreds and none have come to grief despite one going onto a reef and losing its keel - the keel is a bolt on replacement job!

angus
5th March 2009, 01:57 AM
I see that FP offers a flat top large roach main as an option for US$18,000. I assume this also upgrades cloth quality on both main and genoa. I have heard claims that this can improve performance 5-15%? Anyone able to verify that or offer other comments. Would this be an option for the L46? Thanks

TanJera
7th March 2009, 11:08 AM
Hey Guys

We have just been to the Annapolis boat show and are totally smitten with the Leopard 46. We had been looking at monohulls, specifically the new Jeanneau 50ds, when we got blindsided by the 46. Does anyone have any concerns about the balsa core below the waterline. Nevermind this propaganda about end to end balsa cubes.

Cheers
j

Long discussion recently on multihulls forum & I think I am correct in summing it up as follows: IF (big IF) care is taken durng construction balsa should be ok, however there is virtually NO risk with decent foam cores , so why bother. Big argument against balsa was re-sale value.
Hennie

ForumAdmin
7th March 2009, 11:35 AM
I think the issue is really that choosing a boat is a balance of many factors - so if a boat ticks most boxes but using balsa then it would probably be fine to go with it, even if you preferred foam.

I cannot help but like the Leopard that we test sailed - its a good boat.

jkd
7th March 2009, 11:08 PM
Long discussion recently on multihulls forum & I think I am correct in summing it up as follows: IF (big IF) care is taken durng construction balsa should be ok, however there is virtually NO risk with decent foam cores , so why bother. Big argument against balsa was re-sale value.
Hennie

I think the Wildcats show that foam core by itself is not the answer. The layup must be done right or you end up with problems like de-lam. Any core is only as good as the tech's and process of the layup and any holes cut thru the finished product.

John

Tulliana
20th March 2009, 05:43 PM
I see that FP offers a flat top large roach main as an option for US$18,000. I assume this also upgrades cloth quality on both main and genoa. I have heard claims that this can improve performance 5-15%? Anyone able to verify that or offer other comments. Would this be an option for the L46? Thanks

I enquired about this option during my ordering program and it was not an option that's available.
If you order an L46 and really do want a flat top sail then speak to Quantum in Cape Town and they might be able to do it for you but I can tell you from experience that R&C will not want anything to do with it. It might also be advisable to speak to Gino Morelli about it as well because it might affect your warranty?

angus
21st March 2009, 12:09 AM
I enquired about this option during my ordering program and it was not an option that's available.
If you order an L46 and really do want a flat top sail then speak to Quantum in Cape Town and they might be able to do it for you but I can tell you from experience that R&C will not want anything to do with it. It might also be advisable to speak to Gino Morelli about it as well because it might affect your warranty?

Thanks. I understand that Lagoon and Fountaine Pajot are both offering the flat top mains now. A Lagoon dealer claimed it gives a 20% performance enhancement which I find hard to believe. But it should do some good. Can't see why this would be a warranty issue but have been surprised before so thanks for pointing that out.

Tulliana
21st March 2009, 09:00 AM
Thanks. I understand that Lagoon and Fountaine Pajot are both offering the flat top mains now. A Lagoon dealer claimed it gives a 20% performance enhancement which I find hard to believe. But it should do some good. Can't see why this would be a warranty issue but have been surprised before so thanks for pointing that out.

I'm sure at some time Leopard will have no choice but to follow and offer the option. The 20% claim is over the top in my opinion, I would have thought maybe 5 to 10% max or around 1/2 a knot?
The reason I mention warranty is the flat top is a bigger heavier sail that may put slightly more load on some of the rigging? They can be very twitchy about anything that is not standard. It is a lot easier to ask permission because if you don't and you happen to dismast or similar they won't want to know.
Unless you want to go all out for performance then the standard sail is fine and I don't think either a Lagoon 440 or a Salina 48 will be passing you even with flat top sails.

OkinawaCat
22nd March 2009, 03:55 PM
My Leopard will leave next week. Can't wait. I purchased a set of FUSION M sails so hoping I will be able to squeeze an extra 1/2 knot or more out them and point better. Will be here in two months.

B

angus
23rd March 2009, 02:17 AM
Okinawa cat. I live in Hong Kong. Will your boat be stopping in here on the way up to Japan? Would love to see her at the dock if she is passing through.

On the Fusion M sails, do you have any details on what type of cloth and difference in design (flat top head, larger genoa sail area etc). And most importantly, how much did you need to pay and how much did you save for not taking the factory standard issue sails.

Thanks

OkinawaCat
23rd March 2009, 02:47 AM
Yes it will be stopping in HK in about 6 weeks, so should book a time to view it. They are showing it there. Contact Peter Wiersema. He'll give you the details. As for the sails, Dacron. Best to ask Peter about pricing.

Cheers

B

catamangos
8th July 2009, 09:23 AM
Hello Leopard owners ,
quite agree with Tulliana : a Lagoon 440 or a Salina 48, even with flat top mainsail, won't pass a Léo 46 ... thank you Mr Morelli ! So no reason to take a risq .
Better think of ordering very good sails , Hydranet for example, to a very good sail maker such as Incidences or North . Have a nice trip , Eric .

OkinawaCat
9th July 2009, 11:05 PM
I'll be able to give you my report shortly as I'll be picking up my boat tomorrow and sailing back from Hong Kong to Japan from the 15th. I also ordered some FUSION M sails, main and Jib. Can't wait to see her. I have never seen the boat besides pictures.

B