PDA

View Full Version : 1160 Sailing downwind hints?

DevoDave
31st May 2014, 02:17 AM
Anyone have suggestions for effectively sailing downwind?

Currently heading up the QLD coast in a cruising (ie. heavy) 1160 with the laminated main, a jib, and the screecher.

In 10-15 knots anywhere behind the beam I need to put a lot of helm on, and it tends to want to round-up.

I don't think 10-15knots should need a reef, so I'm running with the main at 100%, mainsheet hard on and traveller out wide to keep the main off the stays.

I have tried barberhaulers on the jib to try to control the jib shape, but nothing seems to help.

Ozmultis
31st May 2014, 02:18 AM
MPS is the answer and sometimes reefing the main helps even in light winds, try it and see.

DevoDave
31st May 2014, 02:27 AM
MPS is different to the screecher right? I'm thinking that you are talking about an asymmetrical big-arse light-wind kite?

I have the bowsprit and hardware for the screecher, but would I need more for a MPS (pole?)

Anybody know the specs of such a sail?

DevoDave
2nd November 2014, 12:24 AM
I'm now sitting at Gove at the point of Northern Territory and have decided I **MUST** have a spinnaker. I was given a small assy and found it was the only piece of fabric that could get me across the Gulf.

I know I need four stand-up blocks, a couple of footblocks, and add a clutch each side, but I need to know what to order from the sailmaker.

Can anyone provide the specs for an assy to suit?

Alternatively, how do you size an assy for a cat?

DevoDave
2nd March 2015, 08:02 AM
Just advising that I have completed the install and it looks good.

Used 75mm Ronstan stand-ups at the bows and near the winches, Harken cheek blocks, and got a 105m2 assy from FarEastSails.

Yet to really explore the range of use, but at least we look the part.