PDA

View Full Version : Radar pedestal

edsteele
28th March 2015, 07:03 PM
Hi Everyone,
I am buying a used Leopard 47PC out of Moorings Charter (August 2015) and plan several upgrades - including radar. Has anyone done this? I am thinking of installing a Raymarine 24 inch RD424HD Radome to the flybridge roof and am wondering about necessary pedestal height (maybe 8 inches?) and whether such needs a forward tilt.
Ed

dmmbruce
28th March 2015, 07:16 PM
Have you asked the Raymarine dealer. They should have the information.

Mike

edsteele
28th March 2015, 08:25 PM
Have you asked the Raymarine dealer. They should have the information.

Mike

When I spoke to the 20 year-old down at West-Marine, she thought a pedestal is what you should put women on.
Ed:whistling

Peter
28th March 2015, 09:49 PM
Consider one of the Lowrance 3G / 4G Broadband units. These do not have damaging emissions. You can run these directly with OpenCPN and a PC no dedicated chart plotter is needed.

Either way all "Radar" scanners should mounted horizontal.

The height is determined by the vertical angle of the beam and the front edge of the coach roof.

edsteele
29th March 2015, 03:33 AM
Consider one of the Lowrance 3G / 4G Broadband units. These do not have damaging emissions. You can run these directly with OpenCPN and a PC no dedicated chart plotter is needed.

Either way all "Radar" scanners should mounted horizontal.

The height is determined by the vertical angle of the beam and the front edge of the coach roof.

Hi Peter and Mike,
Thank you for your comments.
I like the low power safety feature of the Broadband units but am concerned about their reported poor performance in detecting bad weather admittedly not as important on a power boat versus getting caught in a squall with too much sail up.

The Leopard 47PC I am buying already has a 2009 vintage Raymarine series C plotter, so I was simply going to add the radar option to this and maybe use an iPad as a repeater.

I agree that all radar should be installed horizontally, which is why I was surprised to see the pedestal manufacturers providing custom angles from the horizontal. I just assumed that this was to correct for the tendency of power vessels to raise their bows at cruise speed. I am not a power boat expert and am hoping someone will educate me here.
Ed