PDA

View Full Version : spinnaker measurements?

Capt. Aubrey
28th October 2015, 07:06 PM
Hello everyone,

I am a new owner of a Leopard 46 and have just joined this forum. Looking forward to sharing ideas with everyone.

We are presently looking for a used symmetrical for our boat. I am looking a sail that falls within the following dimensions:

Luff: 47-57'
Foot 26-32'

Am I looking in the correct range? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank-you.

multihullsailor6
28th October 2015, 09:26 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum!

I am of the opinion that an asymmetrical sail ( i.e. a gennaker) would be of better use for you. Cats are not the best when running straight downwind, instead downwind reaching / tacking will give you more VMG but it does mean more work.

LouisAndNatasha
29th October 2015, 01:37 AM
G'day Aubrey
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new boat. A asymmetrical or a MPS this is a much more practical and a more usable sail. I would recommend a top down furling System Probably 4.5 Ton, would be big enough for your Cat. They just make using a spinnaker so much easier, which means you will use it so much more. If you pull your Spinnaker
halyard to fully hoisted, Measure of the total distance and add 5%, this is the measurement for your spinnaker. Don't make the foot too big, better having a sail that you can handle easily no more than 120 mē would be a good size for your cat and still be big enough to have a lot of fun.
L&N