PDA

View Full Version : Bimini

CruisingWiki
25th April 2009, 05:05 PM
Because of a new large development in North Bimini, the entrance to and channel in North Bimini harbor has been extensively marked by bouys.

Previously, the entrance to North Bimini harbor required lining up shoreside marks on South Bimini while approaching from the west, coming close to shore, then turning north and hugging the coast of South Bimini until entering North Bimini harbor. This entrance route is still available and described in most Bahamas cruising guides.

A channel, which had been used in the past, but silted in, has been dredged and bouyed. Approaching from the west, red and green floating round bouys will be seen just south of the south end of North Bimini. Proceed between the bouys until reaching the entrance markers, then turn left up into the channel. This is the preferred route.

Ports and Stops: (add to this list)
* Alice Town (North Bimini) (Port of entry)
* Cat Cay (Port of entry)
* South Bimini (Port of entry)

Bimini on the World Cruising Wiki - HERE (http://www.cruiserlog.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bimini)

FSMike
28th August 2009, 06:44 PM
Bimini's not as much fun as it used to be. The Compleat Angler burned down, and the pizza oven at the End Of The World Bar stopped working. Not to mention the huge development at the north end, and a small riot due to a policeman killing a local he was trying to arrest. We'll probably be checking in at Nassau.

imagine2frolic
28th August 2009, 10:45 PM
I did Bimini for year, but skip now. Last year we went into Bimini after beating all night into an eastery 30 knot wind. What's the saying?.....ANY PORT IN A STORM::).......i2f

Yoga O
29th August 2009, 03:34 AM
In Jan 2008, we crossed from Miami and bypassed Bimini, sailing overnight to Morgan's Bluff at the north end of Andros.

Morgan's Bluff is a nice quiet place, we walked into town where a local said, "If you are checking in I will call Customs & Immigration for you. They will meet you at the bar." - Cool!

Fair Winds,
Mike