Thread: Solaris Sunstar

Default Solaris Sunstar

We're considering purchase of a Sunstar [not Sunrise]. Seems like sturdy construction, however being as we live on the west coast of Canada, we have concerns about windward ability as well as light air ability which are both valued here. Any advice/experience/warnings would be greatly appreciated.
    Ibnot24get

Default Re: Solaris Sunstar

Your message is timely.

There is a BCMS (BC Multihull Society) meeting at Newcastle Island this weekend, BBQ on Sat, so why not come over.

http://www.bcms.bc.ca/index.php?p=1_2_Events

We are leaving Saturna tomorrow on Tucanu and will be there Sat afternoon.

My phone 250 539 5307

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com
    Last edited by Woods Designs; 17th July 2009 at 12:45 AM.

Thanks so much Richard I had heard a rumor that you were around these parts. Woah that's a bit eerie though, we live about a 2 minute boat ride from Newcastle Island. I'll find out the details, perhaps give you a call.
    Ibnot24get

Isn't the internet (and this forum) great!!

Someone makes his first post and within ten minutes he discovers that two days later there will be a multihull meeting literally just outside his front door.

I love it!

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Ibnot, the Sunstar 36 was designed by Eric Lerouge and is very similar to the Manta, which was also reputedly a lengthened versioin of one of his earlier designs. Solaris yachts were constructed to Lloyd's 100 A1 offshore standards and are very solid (albeit a bit heavier than ideal for a cat).

The Sunstar has the Lerouge bridgedeck shape (curved fore and aft and with curvature at the connection to the hulls) for reducing the impact/incidence of pounding. About my only knock on the boat is the extensive use of glue-on vinyl and carpeting in the interior. Yes, this was common in cats of the 70's, 80's and early 90's, but the headliners are bound to sag and require replacement.

Brad

Smile Re: Solaris Sunstar

Quote Originally Posted by ibnot24get View Post
    We're considering purchase of a Sunstar [not Sunrise]. Seems like sturdy construction, however being as we live on the west coast of Canada, we have concerns about windward ability as well as light air ability which are both valued here. Any advice/experience/warnings would be greatly appreciated.
    Ibnot24get
    Hi ,well, I have had a Solaris Sunstar since new , 10 years ago ! and theres another on this forum , AJ who has an early Solaris boat , will try to post a few pics for you .
    I love my boat and have done many miles in her from England to Greece being the longest trip.
    She is ok to windward and we have outpaced several half-marans , light airs , again shes ok but I have learnt to keep her light , I always rember the first sail of the year , when she is light , clean and quick !
    I have stretched mine in all directions and improved the boats sailing speed and general handling all round .
    A pretty boat ,often complimented ,and plenty of space . Ionly have VP 10 hp s but still get 5.5 on 1 engine and 7.5 on 2 and only use 1.25 litres an hour each .

Gramos, you say yours is only 10 years old, when did they stop making them? and do you know how many were made.
    It was a Sunstar 32 that was the first cat I ever went aboard, which was on the River Exe in the UK, while the guy was getting her ready to sail to the caribbean, that was in 1995 and ever since I have loved catamarans and desperatley wanted one, but there have been too many pitfalls along the way, but one day I will get there.
    Still think the Sunstar is a great cat, same as the 36 but without the extended stern.
    What modifications have you made??

TYRNTLZRDKING Guest

So do I understand correct?
    The Sunstar could be 32, 36, or 38 feet?
    (or did Gramos extend his 36 to 38?)
    The 36 is the same as the 32 with extended stern?

Could you stand up in the salon of the 32?
    What was the constuction materials? Solid glass below water line?

We have owned our 1992 Sunstar 36 for 3 years. I wish I could give my opinion on the sailing qualities but on our trip from Florida back to Texas we had almost no wind. The little sailing we did she seemed to move quite well. Heading back to Florida and the Bahamas in a month so should know more hopefully by Christmas!
    Our boat has a balsa core in the deck, foam in the topsides and solid glass below the waterline. She appears to be very well built if not overbuilt.
    The Sunstar came out as a 32 then they added 4 feet to support diesel motors I believe.Gramos has a 32 that he extended both the bows and sterns. It looks great from the pictures I have seen.
    The max headroom in the salon in our boat is about 5'11". I'm 6'4" but I have never seemed to have a problem with low headroom in a boat. Maybe that's why I always have a crick in my neck! A.J.

AJ, thanks for the info, and I hate to sound rude, but why have you only sailed her once in 3 years.
    Has she been a project to refurbish?
    If she was extended by the extra 4 feet to accomodate diesels, what was the original propulsion method.??

Hi Ian,
    After we arrived in Texas it was back to work. We usually work for 2-3 years then take a couple of years of and travel on the boat. My wife doesn't like taking the boat out (day sailing)unless we are leaving for a good amount of time, and our work schedules conflict so we don't have much time together. We also had quite a bit to do to the boat.
    I believe the original design, a Jeffcat 32 had a single outboard mounted in the center. If our darn Yanmars didn't run so well I would love to convert to outboards! A.J.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrntlzrdking View Post
    So do I understand correct?
    The Sunstar could be 32, 36, or 38 feet?
    (or did Gramos extend his 36 to 38?)
    The 36 is the same as the 32 with extended stern?

Could you stand up in the salon of the 32?
    What was the constuction materials? Solid glass below water line?
    well depends on your height but at 6 ft 4" its a bit tight ! I lowered the floor in the saloon by 1 " and it helps but I have full headroom in the hulls and on deck ... especially now since I stretched the mast and raised the boom !

Wild Honey was made as a 32 then I put stern extensionsx 4ft, the bow extensions x2ft add that up to 38ft .

yes the 32ft is the same boat the stern extensions are empty .it certainly helps the balance of the boat ,much better motion less pitching .

thin airex foam on all deck and coachroof , solid glass below waterline , a very solid boat .

Talking Re: Solaris Sunstar

Quote Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
    Gramos, you say yours is only 10 years old, when did they stop making them? and do you know how many were made.
    It was a Sunstar 32 that was the first cat I ever went aboard, which was on the River Exe in the UK, while the guy was getting her ready to sail to the caribbean, that was in 1995 and ever since I have loved catamarans and desperatley wanted one, but there have been too many pitfalls along the way, but one day I will get there.
    Still think the Sunstar is a great cat, same as the 36 but without the extended stern.
    Well its quite a long list ireaney , but ,...
    1 stern extensions +4ft
    2 bow extensions +2ft
    3 mast extension +500mm
    4 flexofold 2 blade props
    5 33% bigger mylar jib
    6 MUCH bigger roached f/b main
    7 4ft bowsprit
    8 s/steel foiled rudders
    9 more mast rake

then the usual stuff , 3x solar panels, 2nd fridge ,Fortress fx 37 ,windlass, cruising chute , 2 extra batteries, copperbottom ,maple interior , radar ,extra hatches , etc etc ,when do we ever stop developing our boats ?

Talking Re: Solaris Sunstar

Quote Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
    ireaney , sorry I missed an answer , solaris made around 24 boats and BWC made 7 .
    Wild Honey was the last to leave the yard JUST before the new company took over ...

I believe they were called The Receivers !

Please may I now join the Solaris owners club as I have paid my deposit on a 1999 Sunstar 32 with completeion in 10 days.
    The first big cat I went on and fell in love with.
    Is there an actual Solaris members only forum anywhere
    Can't wait to get my hands on her and sail her home.

Congratulations Ian, a fine boat if you ask me! There is a Solaris Sunrise forum but I believe they will let the Sunstar owners in. It is British based.

Congratulations, that is very exciting, please give us details and pics.

Best wishes
    Paul

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Congratulations Ireaney!!!!!! A terrific boat that should serve you well for years to come. As to the site mentioned (and for which I listed the web address in a previous post), there seems to be less happening there than here.

Anyway, welcome to the Solaris club! There aren't many of us, but we are a happy lot who own very solid boats.

Brad

Thanks to you all
    Can't wait to get her back home.