Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Solaris Owners of the world unite!

Default Re: Solaris Owners of the world unite!

We're interested in Aeolus--we saw her on Yachtworld. We have a few questions, but the broker is apparently on a long vacation & we haven't been able able to get answers. Would you mind answering them?

i'm tall, so headroom is always an issue. What is the headroom over galley, head/shower, salon, master berth? I saw another listing that said headroom in a Solaris 42 is 5' 11", but I doubt that's everywhere.

I've read that the Mercedes marinizer is out of business & it's hard to get parts. What's your experience?

Have you developed a method for coming about? From what I've read, the ketch is the most difficult. I learned to tack a Hobie, so i expect there's always a way--even if it means a jibe tack. Works on a board!

The salon looks beautiful--very homey. Is that wood or 70's laminate?

Of all the boats we've looked at online, the Solaris 42 seems to have the best accomodations/cruising capabilities for us.

We're headed to FL from MN in a month or so to buy a boat for long-term cruising. We have seen & are considering a Morgan 41 in the Keys, but a cat has always appealed to me--moreso now that I'm in my 60's. Did you make the monohull/cat transition?

We have family in Townsend, GA so will probably pass nearby on our way south.

Thanks

Ted & BJ

This post was sent to me by email:-
    We would like to try to answer some of your questions re our boat.

The head room - We have a 6'4" son in-law who can stand upright in the main salon although he has to bend to enter thru the doorway. The 5'11" is correct, and is the minimum height available inside. The height in the galley is greater than that as is the staterooms as they are in the pontoons.

Spares for the engines are available from Westfield 4 x 4 in the Lancaster UK, Mercedes and Chrysler dealers in the US.

We do tack under sail with mizzen. In lighter air we back-wind the jib. She doesn't point as high as a mono-hull but is very comfortable for long distance cruising and at anchor.

No laminate on her, it is teak throughout.

Pam and Jim Welstead
    Safe Sailing
    Paul
    Blog: www.suliere.com

Thanks, Jim & Pam.

Do you know the exact headroom in the shower & galley area? Since we plan to live aboard, these are 2 ares that from experience I find especially important.

Hi Tede and BJ

The height in the shower is 6'4" and in the galley area it is 6'8" at the edge of the counter getting heigher to 6' 10.5" where the cupboards are towards midships.
    Pam and Jim
    svaeolus@shaw.ca

I have a solaris sunrise 24.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Pdelnero, welcome. When was your nice looking boat built? (Just curiosity.)

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Can you find the picture. If so, tell me where.
    Paul

OK... there it is. 1991 Solaris Sunbeam 24 pilothouse.

I am thinking of changing her back to the stock design by removing the pilothouse. I will use a dodger/bimini over the cockpit and have the coach roof panel be moveable to allow shaded, open air sailing when conditions permit. I have altered the previous image to get some perspective.

You don't say on your profile where you are based. If it is in the UK you might find that your pleasure on the boat, at anchor and particularly when sailing might be greatly reduced if you give up the considerable protection of the Pilot House.

Yes you would have less windage and yes the lines would be sweeter. But at a cost.

If you are in permanently warm weather and light winds (just joking!) then you would need a proper bimini for protection from the sun. Back to square one.

When it comes to resale, is it more saleable with protection?

Mike

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Welcome to the forum Pdelnero! I think Mike makes a valid point. An alternative to completely removing the pilothouse might be to leave the roof, windshield and only the forward side windows - in effect, what remains would be a solid dodger and bimini. You could then have curtains made, if needed, to cover the sides and aft in particularly inclement weather.

Cheers!

Brad

We were originally attracted to the Solaris 42 because of its spacious covered cockpit.
    Our experience from the tropics to the sub-arctic has been that we need protection from sun, rain and wind on long sails more often than not.
    Our hard top and windscreen are invaluable in our current northern area.
    We arranged for four seats in the cockpit so parents and two children could cruise the Baltic listening to Lord of the Rings in comfort through stormy conditions.
    Our electric genoa furler (Hayling Island Rod Reefing 1975!) allows sail control in safety.
    In hot weather we roll up the side and aft screens and have plenty of fresh air.
    At anchor we have a sun awning over the mizzen boom for shade.
    I'm afraid our days of sailing in open cockpits in rain, sun and snow are over. We so rarely get Goldilocks weather so we would not think of removing the cockpit protection. I don't think it would add much in terms of speed or windage and one would loose a great safety feature.
    We can be warm and dry for most of the time.
    Hope this helps

That sounds a great idea to me, but it would depend on where you are situated as to whether what type of protection or shelter you would need.

Quote Originally Posted by pdelnero View Post
    I am thinking of changing her back to the stock design by removing the pilothouse. I will use a dodger/bimini over the cockpit and have the coach roof panel be moveable to allow shaded, open air sailing when conditions permit. I have altered the previous image to get some perspective.

Hi Mike, I am in New Hampshire, USA. The protection of the pilothouse is nice but I don't feel the traditional sailing feel. Visibility, sound and breeze are totally gone when at the wheel in the PH. It is impossible to communicate with the foredeck. maneuvering in tight quarters is a nightmare.I have checked it out and the entire house was constructed as a module and screwed down to a stock Sunbeam 24. I plan to carefully remove the modele and store it for future use if/when needed. I perfer to call this an experiment. Kinda like the bolt on hard tops for the MGs or the like.

Quote Originally Posted by pdelnero View Post
    Hi Mike, I am in New Hampshire, USA. The protection of the pilothouse is nice but I don't feel the traditional sailing feel. Visibility, sound and breeze are totally gone when at the wheel in the PH. It is impossible to communicate with the foredeck. maneuvering in tight quarters is a nightmare.I have checked it out and the entire house was constructed as a module and screwed down to a stock Sunbeam 24. I plan to carefully remove the modele and store it for future use if/when needed. I perfer to call this an experiment. Kinda like the bolt on hard tops for the MGs or the like.

Yes, I remember the MG things, and their problems.

I quite agree about the loss of 'feeling' with having a closed area.

It is the same on mine. Visibility is not affected, but sound and breeze-on-the-face are. This can be dangerous as you don't realise on a stable cat how much the wind has risen, particularly at night. However I have found the advantages greatly outweigh the disadvantages. I have a central cockpit that is rigidly covered, windscreen, and curtain sides and back. Mine is full width out to the side decks.

I guess that the weather in New Hampshire is much like here so it will be interesting to hear how you get on without the pilot house in place.

I would not be surprised to find that you replace it eventually with a bigger one.

On a 24ft boat (mine is 26ft) we can not get the full benefits that go with a big bimini etc on the 42ft one mentioned above. But cover can be very nice!

Mike

As I said, this is just an experiment. I hauled out early to get working. I have already unscrewed a section on the starboard and it separated quite easily. Whatever they used for caulk is not tough at all. I had worried ir might be like 5200, but not at all. So far it seems to just pop up from the gel coat very cleanly. I will take lots of pics cause who knows, I might not like the mods and need to know the details to reattach the "hard-top". Paul =-)

Default Top's off 2 u

work progressing well... a few pics 4 u
    Last edited by pdelnero; 14th October 2011 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Add pics

Well done, that looks a clean job. The top looks as though it was very well made. Now what are you going to put on top of the new structure?

Mike

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Default Re: Top's off 2 u

Well done - you really are making progress. Keep us posted.

Brad

Default Closed n ready 2 glass

Keeping busy.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast