Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Solaris Owners of the world unite!

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Default Re: Closed n ready 2 glass

Thanks for the update - does it still give you standing headroom up to the table in the saloon?

Brad

Default Re: Solaris Owners of the world unite!

I am 5'8" so I gave it 5'10" in the entry area under the new cabin roof. The settee has always been sitting headroom. I like it inside... I may transfer the 2 Bomar hatches overhead for light. The pilot house was really bright with all the big windows. The real thrill is standing or sitting at the wheel and seeing the 360 degree view! I can actually talk to the foredeck. WoW!
    Attached Images Attached Images

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Yes, it does make a difference to have an unobsructed view forward!

Brad

Without me searching through every post, would you know of any other Sunbeam 24s out there?

I think you are the first owner that we have heard from, although I stand to be corrected. Great looking little boat - especially now with the pilot house removed!

Brad

I am a new owner of a Solaris Sunbeam 24. I am trying to find out about the boat. Specifically the mast and rigging. Can anybody help with this?

Quote Originally Posted by rsteward View Post
    I am a new owner of a Solaris Sunbeam 24. I am trying to find out about the boat. Specifically the mast and rigging. Can anybody help with this?
    Hello, welcome, and well done with your new boat. If you want more info about the Sunbeam 24 try sending a Private Message to 'pdelnero' who is posting just above your entry.

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

thanks for speedy reply, much appreciated, I will get in touch with pdelnero.

Rsteward, I am not familiar with the spars and rigging used on the Sunbeam 24, but I assume that the rigging would all be standard, off the shelf pieces that can be easily replaced with hardware purchased at any marine outfitter. The Spars were also purchased by Solaris from companies such as Proctor - perhaps if you posted a photo somebody could assist.

Brad

Hi All I'm a new kid on the block with a much loved and a little modified Solaris 42 Boat 16 Built 1972 for Wing Commander Bobbie Gibbes DSO DFC and Bar (deceased) WW2 Spitfire Fighter Ace. We live in Cairns down under. Just in case anyone is interested. regards Alan and Christine oh and Madge the Staffie

Quote Originally Posted by alan crabtree View Post
    Hi All I'm a new kid on the block with a much loved and a little modified Solaris 42 Boat 16 Built 1972 for Wing Commander Bobbie Gibbes DSO DFC and Bar (deceased) WW2 Spitfire Fighter Ace. We live in Cairns down under. Just in case anyone is interested. regards Alan and Christine oh and Madge the Staffie

Hello and welcome. She looks a very nice boat.

You should be warned, there is a small army of Oz forumites here, so beware!!!

It looks as though you have got some dangerous reefs just off the coast there.

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Welcome from me as well. Spent some time in Cairns back in early 80s, and liked the town. Hope to visit again sometime in my own boat
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

Thanks Talbot Cairns is still a great little big town and we love it mostly the weather .I have been here for 16 years and can't think of a better place to base ourselves. regards

Hi Allan and welcome to the forum. She certainly looks to have been well maintained (and updated). Looking forward to your contributions!

Brad

Thanks Brad

Default Re: Solaris Owners

[quote=Trevor and Jo;15042]Hello fellow Solaris fans.

We have now installed a new scanner and will shortly be scanning all the Solaris 42 data we have which includes original spec sheets, reviews and some pics of boats we looked at. It looks as if pdf format will yield the smallest file sizes and as soon as we have scanned the material and fathomed a way to upload it we will share with everyone.

Incidentally, yes the reports are right. Prince Rainer of Monaco did buy a Solaris for his daughter, Caroline. I went on board during the build at Southampton and was stunned by how much space there was, by late 70's standards and also by the strength of the lay-up...Lloyds +100A1 .. almost certainly over spec'd. I've since tried to contact the designer, Terry Compton, who now works in the US but e-mails have been ignored.

Trevor.
    Fair winds.

Trevor.[/quote

Hello Trevor

Hi G&T looking forward to viewing more info. regards

Inateresting hull extensions, Alan. Any idea who made them?

Brad

Hi Brad
    The Hull extensions were designed by Murray Isles a Naval Architect in Tasmania Australia. The work was performed by the previous owner. They work beautifully as they extend the waterline by 7 feet and eliminate hobby horsing. She is a very comfortable boat.

regards

Alan

Thanks Allan. Do they also raise the transoms out of the water? I have been debating doing something similar aft on my Sunstream 40 and, while I suspect you can't tell me how much they improved performance on your own 42 (as they had already been done at the time of your purchase), have you had an opportunity to sail another 42 without the hull extensions?

Brad

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast