Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ahhh, the open bridgedeck life

Default Re: Ahhh, the open bridgedeck life

Quote Originally Posted by Yoga O View Post
    Big Cat,

I think you are missing a bit of the point wrt headsails. With a high helm that is off-center, you are virtually guaranteed to have some visibility problems on at least one tack, even with a high cut sail. (Maybe that is less of a problem on your 65' design though).

On your shoal draft version, the drawing makes the cockpit space appear pretty cramped and/or very enclosed and stuffy. Is it wider and deeper than depicted?

Dual helms can be one way to solve some of the problems, but most of the ones I have seen require you to be on one side while under power. On the Seawinds, at least the cockpit floor is level, like we have on the Maine Cat. I can't say enough about the benefit of not having toe-stubbers or ankle twisters designed into the cockpit.

Designing around all the things people want in a cat is definitely tough.

Fair Winds,
    Mike
    Hi, Mike - The drawing is to scale. The little pilot house is open on the sides, the rear window slides down, and the windshield is a slider, so you can open up ventilation. I've seen something similar on a commercial passenger cat in Hawaii, but I widened it and gave it seating. You can stand next to the wheel on the port side, and steer standing , and you can walk in front of the pilot house. By widening it, I made the helm station potentially more sociable. It could also be narrowed to seat one or two people with no problems.

In a more typical cruising cat layout you sometimes see the helm centered and the cabin entry to one or both sides rather than on center.
    Currently concentrating on http://earthnurture.com .

Quote Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
    Not everyone chooses to have sails which obscure their vision. I don't. Seats don't have to all enclosing - they can be the bench type, which is my choice. I also like to be able to stand next to the wheel or sit behind it, so that's what I design.
    I don't fancy sailing everywhere with a storm jib, which is the only kind of headsail that might not interfere with vision on our boat. Using only yankees as headsails is not an option for most smaller cats, and there is an efficiency penalty.

I am getting the impression that the helm stations that you design are not like the worst kind that I see.

Quote Originally Posted by artemidorus View Post
    I don't fancy sailing everywhere with a storm jib, which is the only kind of headsail that might not interfere with vision on our boat. Using only yankees as headsails is not an option for most smaller cats, and there is an efficiency penalty.

I am getting the impression that the helm stations that you design are not like the worst kind that I see.
    Not the worst? Ho, ho, ho, such flattery!

Some people put their jibs on pennants at the foot, so they can see under them.

I immediately liked the helm station I saw on a commercial sailing cat on Kauai- it was right aft, and raised high enough to see over the bridgedeck cover. It had a windshield in front of the helm to cut the wind, and a cover over the helmsman.

http://goldcoastyachts.com/catamarans.htm

Default Re: The Mysterious City Cairo

Uh oh, SPAM ALERT!

Default Re: The Mysterious City Cairo

Offending post removed

After owning a Norseman 430 (Voyage430) for three years and bringing it from Cape Town to the Caribbean and then cruising the caribbean and east coast and then chartering a MC41 in the Bahamas a couple years ago, I much prefered the open bridgedieck of the MC41. Much better visability and much drier! We did take some some waves on the Norseman that would have been a good test to the strength of the strataglass, but in actuality, we had more large following seas on our crossing that got the cockpit wet. I think I would add larger/more cockpit drains on the MC to allow for the possibility of window failure. I think the only possible drawback of the open bridgedeck on long term cruising might be the security of the nav instuments (chart plotter, etc) as it would be a pain to have to remove them when you left the boat at anchor in questionable waters for a few days for sight seeing. Any thoughts on that?

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by duetto430 View Post
    I think the only possible drawback of the open bridgedeck on long term cruising might be the security of the nav instuments (chart plotter, etc) as it would be a pain to have to remove them when you left the boat at anchor in questionable waters for a few days for sight seeing. Any thoughts on that?

Stu
    Put them in a built in a permanently mounted fiberglass case that has hatch hinges ( make the hinge pins permanent, not held on with cotter pins,) or a removable face (think hatch boards on a monohull sailboat) and a padlock hasp. While you're at it, laminate in copper mesh for lighting protection (only works if you detach and remove all cables.) Or make the box out of aluminum (once again, remove all cables when lightning is about.)

We left TabbyCat on the hard in Trini for 3 months and removed the Garmin 3010C chartplotter, plus we have removed it a few times when going out for the evening. It's really easy to remove, just 3 quick connects on the back and loosen two knobs.

As for the VHF and wind/speed/AP displays, yes, some one could break them out, but if they were going to that trouble they could easily break into the inside of a locked boat.

Larger cockpit drains are part of the package for boats designed for day charters to be USCG certified, but we have found the current ones to be more than adequate so far. The larger ones shout that they are there - ugly(!) IMO.

The Norseman 430 was one of our finalists in when we selected the MC41 back in 2004, but that's another story.

Fair Winds,
    Mike

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123