Thread: Yanmar SD40 and SD50 To Lock or not Lock the Propeller.

Default Yanmar SD40 and SD50 To Lock or not Lock the Propeller.

The YANMAR Bulletin YEU-MB107 states that the SD50 can be locked in Reverse with a folding/feathering prop.
    This is a broad guideline, and may not apply to all makes/prop configuration and designs. For instance, my BRUNTON AUTO PROP rotates (slowly) in both Reverse and Neutral while sailing, and has to be "locked" in FWD.
    What Yanmar does NOT state is the position of the Gear Selector when locking the prop.
    The Selector should be positioned just off Neutral (in the approx 15Deg) plane, BEFORE the selector starts moving in a horizontal plane into the retracted "rest" position.
    With the selector is in the retracted position, the Shifter moves away from the V Groove in the Drive Cone, allowing the Drive Cone to start rotating, causing wear/glazing of the Cone Surfaces.
    I personally have over 1500hrs on my 2010 SD50 Drives with the Thrust Bearing and Taperlock UPGRADE KIT installed, and there are presently over 160 boats/kits in operation.
    If you need more info on the UPGRADE KIT, contact me on; saildrives@yahoo.com

Default Re: Yanmar SD40 and SD50 To Lock or not Lock the Propeller.

Hey Brett,

I wasn't clear on the middle part. We have Volvo's, but I don't think they differ this way. When we put them in reverse to fold our props, we move the shifter back to the detent position, which is about the 15 degree position you describe. Then we just leave it there or put it back in neutral (folders stay folded then).

I don't understand your description of the "rest position". On ours, if we move the lever further back than the detent 15*, it just moves the throttle control and opens up the throttle. Since there is no need for that, we never move the lever that far.

Can you describe the "rest" position?

Mark
    Mark Cole
    Manta 40 "Reach"
    www.svreach.com

Hi Mark.
    I am not sure if the VOLVO Selector/Shifter operates in a similar fashion to the Yanmar.

The Yanmar Selector allows the Shifter to retract (Move away) from the V Groove in the Drive Cone after approx 15Deg rotation of the Selector (On the Drive, NOT the Throttle Lever). The Shifter retracts into a position, away from the Drive Cone, (I suppose to stop friction/wear between the Shifter and Drive Cone) and does not exert any pressure on, or ensure positive Drive Cone to Cup contact in the "rest" position, only the Throttle Cable action takes place in this position.

Gideon

If the propeller is feathered or folded the shaft will be stationary so it won't matter where the shift lever is.

Thanks Gideon, I misunderstood and thought you were talking about the shifter lever position itself.

Mark
    Mark Cole
    Manta 40 "Reach"
    www.svreach.com

Quote Originally Posted by colemj View Post
    Thanks Gideon, I misunderstood and thought you were talking about the shifter lever position itself.

Mark
    So did I, so could someone explain what is trying to be achieved here?