Thread: A Junk Rigged Proa?

Default A Junk Rigged Proa?

YES!

In the video below watch it work better then all expectations!!!
    Easy shunting! reefing, sailing and just an all good rig.
    A long road of trial and error comes to an end.

Balkan Shipyards.

https://youtu.be/Gao_VIss-nY

Default Re: A Junk Rigged Proa?

Looks good. Certainly better than last time. There still seems to be quite a lot of lines to fiddle with when doing any manoeuvre but that may be just my lack of familiarity with it.

Do you intend to have a rudder either end so that you can resume steering more quickly and more easily without having to stand up and pick up a large blade while sailing along?

Anyway, good progress. Are you going to put on a bit of deck and then go sailing out to sea and to some local bays and islands?

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Default Re: A Junk Rigged Proa?

Quote Originally Posted by dmmbruce View Post
    Looks good. Certainly better than last time. There still seems to be quite a lot of lines to fiddle with when doing any manoeuvre but that may be just my lack of familiarity with it.

Do you intend to have a rudder either end so that you can resume steering more quickly and more easily without having to stand up and pick up a large blade while sailing along?

Anyway, good progress. Are you going to put on a bit of deck and then go sailing out to sea and to some local bays and islands?

Mike
    Good to hear from you Mike!
    YES! MUCH BETTER than last time. This rig is a pleasure to use, actually the only extra lines are the two junk rig parrels, they aren't a problem, cos you work them only when reefing, still messing with those two parrels and reefing in 30 seconds is way easier than reefing any other rig, especially Crab Claws that can't really be reefed anyway.

I have thought about lifting rudders inside rudder cases, I feel it is the way to go on a bigger proa. Once I get back to Crystal Clear, I'm seriously thinking about fitting some type of lifting rudder at each bow. On this boat, I'm pretty happy with the oar, yes, it is awkward, but on a boat this size that is meant for short distance cruising I will keep the oar.

Next is decking him up like you say, and yes, I hope to cruise the Aegean October.

Happy you like him! thanks for everything.........

Keep Shunting,Balkan shipyards.

All d best,
    Rael.