Thread: Privilege Cockpit Hinges

Default Privilege Cockpit Hinges

Hi All, I have finally tracked down a source for the hinges used on our mid to late 90's and early 2000 era Privileges.

These are the hinges used on the cockpit lockers, engine rooms hatches, anchor box lid, and swim ladder covers (if you have them).

There are similar Chinese hinges around but the holes do not line up and they are likely 304. Theses 97 X 38 mm flush hinges are 316L stainless.

The problem is that I have to order 500 to have them make a production run. The price is going to be around $4.50 USD. Same price as the Chinese 304's that don't fit.

Is there any interest by anyone who may want some. Lead time is 30 days once they get the order.

Thanks and hopefully this will help those whose hinges are cracked, missing pins, and corroded. We have 25 hinges on our P45.

I need to get at least 10 boats in on this. I will pay the difference and hope to sell the remainders to late comers in the future.

Cheers, Dave

Attached Images Attached Images

Boat: Croatia; Living in Tokyo during the months not on the boat

Default Re: Privilege Cockpit Hinges

Hi Dave,

I am very much a fan of original parts. However 500 hinges in maybe not sufficiently high grade of maritime steel made me thinking.
    1-What about closing the old holds (epoxi resin with short cut thin glass fibers mixed under; seawater resistant wood bond with a mixture of saw dust) and drill new ones
    2-Get in touch with a hinch maker (suitable outer dimensions) and ask if they can take some out of the production prior to drilling holes?

It might be that both ideas are a bit crazy but they popped my mind.

R

Hi R,

I can get 100 hinges made out of 304 stainless but for the 316L they want to do a bigger run. These hinges are the exact OEM dimensions so I don't know what you mean about pulling some out prior to drilling the holes. I am not dealing with the manufacturers of the wrong hole pattern hinges. The ones I found are from a different company.

I have cored every one of the holes in my boat. https://www.sailtortuguita.com/2019/11/coring-in-7-easy-steps.html

If I knew that the Chinese hinges had different hole patterns, I may have gone that route when coring and before spraying except I don't trust the Chinese to actually provide 316L when they say they do.

I have been burned and seen so many scams on Aliexpress where they advertise 316 stainless (A4) fasteners to charge a premium but actually send 304 (A2). These scammers have it down to a science that there is no way to dispute and get a refund. I do not trust them to provide what they say. I have actually ordered some of the wrong pattern hinges and the scam now is to send 88X38 not 97X38mm. They also are slightly magnetic which probably means 304.

The company making these OEM hinges is in Turkey. I don't know whether 'better the devil you know than the devil you don't' should apply but at least it's a real company and has a certification. I will also have them tested when they arrive and if they fail, I will be able to make a dispute.

Thanks for the input and suggestions.
    Cheers, Dave

FYI, my 1991 P39 has 16 cockpit locker hinges. It's likely that they have been replaced in the past, given the bend applied to each hinge. They are working fine, so I won't need replacements any time soon. I was going to remove a hinge and check for a different hole pattern underneath. After removing one screw, I found that it was well sealed (like nothing else on my boat), so I aborted my look underneath rather than break the seal.

IMG_20200607_105034.jpg

Hi Cyclops,
    Yeah, those are different hinges in the early 90's. I looked at as many photos of Privilege catamaran cockpits that I could find and the somewhat rectangular hinges with 6 holes were found on the mid and late 90's and early 2000's. I was surprised to see them on the Alliaura designs but they didn't seem to keep using them. For sure, the early 90's Jeantot Privileges like yours use a round style hinge which changed to the rectangular hinge in 1992/1993. Cheers, Dave