Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yanmar SD50 Sail Drive Slipping

Question Yanmar SD50 Sail Drive Slipping

Does anyone know if you have to remove the engine from the sail drive to replace the cone clutches? My V440 has 850 hours and is starting to slip in forward some times. Very unnerving when pulling up to the gas dock.

Thanks
    Rob
    Dream Maker V440
    Nantucket

Default Re: Yanmar SD50 Sail Drive Slipping

I am not sure if you need to remove the motor but it seems to be a common (expensive) problem on Yanmar saildrives. At our club there seems to be a fairly steady stream of similar problems. Even on a new boat delivered from France.

No, you do not need to remove the unit or haul the boat.
    You can pull out the cone assembly complete, replace the cone, and refit.
    You need to pull the gear shift arm/mechanism out, and remove the top four bolts on the saildrive, the vertical shaft has a thread in it that you can screw a bolt into to lift the assembly out. You will get some oil leakage when you pull the selector mechanism.
    Be sure to replace oil with correct spec, not standar gear oil, the expansion ratio is too high and can lead to premature hub seal failure(water in the saildrive).
    Two hours app. time. The parts are expensive, I think about $500

Thanks for your advise, that is what I though. I also hear you can use a dremmel too to rough up the cone clutches and they will last a lot longer. I will be trying this in October when I am in the slip for the winter in New England. Will keep you posted.

Thanks
    Rob

Hi
    I OWN A VOYAGE 440 PLUS AMARULA WHICH WE HAVE HAD FROM NEW FOR THE LAST 3 YEARS.WE ARE EXTREMELY HAPPY WITH THE BOAT
    OUR STARBOARD SD50 SAILDRIVE PACKED UP AFTER 500 HRS FROM NEW.AT THE TIME WE WERE IN VENEZUELA AND HAD TO TAKE THE YACHT TO TRINIDAD FOR WARRANTY REPAIRS THIS WE DID.WE WERE THEN INSTRUCTED BY THE YANMAR AGENT TO DEPOSIT 6800.00 US IN THEIR ACCOUNT FOR SPARES AS THEY HAD TO BE ORDERED FROM THE US.
    THEY SPENT 2 DAYS REPLACING THE CONE CLUTCH BY MOVING THE ENGINE ETC AND CHARGING A FURTHER 3000.00EC DOLLARS ON THE REPAIRS ONLY TO TELL ME THERE WAS NO WARRANTY AS MY PROPELLARS WERE TO LARGE FOR THE ENGINES 18''X13PITCH 3 BLADE FLEXOFOLD PROPS, WHAT IS WORSE IS THAT THEY DID NOT JUST REPLACE THE CONES THEY REPLACED THE WHOLE GEAR ASSEMEBERLY.
    NEEDLESS TO SAY THE SAME SAILDRIVE PACKED UP AGAIN AT 950 HOURS BUT THIS TIME I HAD IT REPAIRED IN THE BVI IT TOOK 3 HOURS AND COST 1300.00 US NO MOVING OF ENGINE ETC.BY THE WAY THE PORT ENGINE IS NOW ON 1200 HRS NO PROBLEM WITH THE CLUTCH SO BEWARE OF YANMAR WARRANTIES
    REGARDS
    DAVE
    AMARULA

The props being too big is a big taboo with yanmar, we recently changed a cone on a lagoon that had max props. The drive worked well in reverse, but not fwd, this is a good indicator of a slipping cone.
    There are four long studs protruding from the transmission towards the bell-housing, these get backed off all the way, then pushed in, this eliminates the need to move the engine or disconnect it from the drive.
    The SD50 is an upgrade to the SD40(which is no longer available), the 40 had a very tricky oil fill system.
    Kent

Hi, I just picked up this thread durring a search for our SD40 saildrive slip issue.

Ours seems to be slipping in reverse rather that forward. Is this an indication of something other that the Cone Clutch?

Thanks,

Meck

Hi Meck
    Your problem is more than likely the cone clutches as it seems that the drive works intermittantly in one direction or the other.You do not have to remove the engine or drive,just regrind the clutches or get new ones.If the person knows what to do it takes approximately 3 hours.I paid approx 700.00US for the clutches
    regards
    Dave

Hi all, Another possible issue causing cone clutch problems is the shift cable that is not properly SET to the shift arm. My mechanic adjusted them to the proper set and told me they may all have been set wrong at the voyage plant so look into it.

I looked on line for a parts manual for the Sd 30, 40 ,50. I would like to know what this cone clutch looks like and where it is in the outdrive. If someone had pix....better yet, thanks

I bought the SD 50 manual and the tool to remove the nut from the cone assembly and will be taking it appart next week. I will take pictures and post them when done.

I have Variprops which do not void the warrany with Yanmar. They have a certificate stating they are accepted by Yanmar. Props work great.

Yanmar endorses folding/feathering props if they have a rubber drive damper built into them, such as the Varifold, if the prop, however, is the wrong size/pitch for the rated HP and drive, they will not warrant any cone repairs due to overloading.

I just finished rebuilding cone clutch on SD50 Sail Drive. It was easy to remove and I cleaned up the clutch with oil based valve grinding compound. 3-5 turns in each clutch cone cleaned them up. I installed it and it works perfectly. It cost me $200 as I replaced all the needle bearings (4 each engine). You do need to buy a spline nut tool to hold the spline shaft in vise to remove the shaft nut. I also replaced the shaft nut because it is a locking nut you peen over and there was not much meat left.

I will do the other side next week.

Cheers
    Rob Dream Maker

Great goin Rob,,,My cone clutch job cost $3000. If you could please next week take a photo process of the replacement and explain in easy steps how to do it. BECAUSE guys like me are not so bright and I would love to save the big bucks like you. Craig

Hello Craig,

I will be rebuilding the starboard cone clutch in about 2 weeks or so. I will take pictures when I have it apart and send them to you. It was not hard to do except for laying on top of the motor for a while.

Cheers
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by RobV440 View Post
    Does anyone know if you have to remove the engine from the sail drive to replace the cone clutches? My V440 has 850 hours and is starting to slip in forward some times. Very unnerving when pulling up to the gas dock.

Thanks
    Rob
    Dream Maker V440
    Nantucket
    Answer:
    You have not to remove the engine.I had the theme problen at 650 hours

No, you can remove it from inside the boat, about a 2hr job if you know the procedure, 4hrs if you need to figure it out. Do not try and remove the castle nut of the assembly while it is in the drive. Check the threads, you will find descriptions how to do it.
    You can call me if you want to talk it through.Kent Grimbeek 954-605-4416

Hello,,,,We'll the other sd50 is going now and I have been searching the net for a step by step process for cone clutch repair. Anyone have something like this.....Also my first repair was done by yanmar mech. and didn't share much info but did give me the old cone clutch and told me you could reinstall the old one upside down after I bought a whole new assembly,,,,any help on that info.

Thanks.

Really good news and I am not worried anymore about the Yanmar CONE CLUTCH. It is a easy fix and anyone can do it. I am astounded at the fact that Yanmar does not supply information about this flaw and how to fix it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast