Thread: solaris sunrise built 1980 to 1990, balsa core deck or foam?

Default solaris sunrise built 1980 to 1990, balsa core deck or foam?

Hi does anyone please know if the deck of the solaris sunrise is done in balsa ply or foam? If it's balsa or some sort of ply is there a problem with capillary osmosis (usually there is but also depends on the quality of execution)?

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Default Re: solaris sunrise built 1980 to 1990, balsa core deck or foam?

I can't speak to the Sunrise, but my 1994 Sunstream has a foam core and I suspect that the Sunrise would be the same. Understand, however, that there can still be problems with the core if hardware is improperly installed - mine had a soft spot on the aft deck because the davits/brace for the wind generator was installed without potting the new bolt holes in epoxy. Otherwise however, there have been no problems.

Brad

Hmm we have two soft spots one on the forward quarter and one just to the port side of the mast. Upon inspection I found that it is due to the fact that it is very thin grp with no supports. So my answer is to fix a sheet of ply to the grp and then put the lining back. Any advice or comments.

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Tidalstreams, it is not clear precisely where on the boat you are referring to in describing these 'soft spots'. Are you suggesting that there is no core material in that area, only thin fiberglass? Frankly, I would be hugely surprised if that were the case anywhere near the mast.

If in fact there is core material, then glassing plywood over the interior of the panel in question will not correct the problem. The culprit is likely either a delaminated, or wet core. If it is wet, you will have to remove the inner or outer frp, install new core and then glass over (preferrably with epoxy resin). You will also need to discover where the water is getting into the core and correct that fault or your repair will be short-lived.

If the core is still dry but has delaminated, then it may be possible to effect a repair by drilling numerous small holes in the outer laminate, injecting epoxy resin, inserting screws temporarily to stop the out-flow of the resin until it hardens, then remove the screws, fill the holes and refinish.

Brad

Hi Brad, you will be surprised but it is just fiber glass I can see through it. Where there is support underneath then it is strong and no sponginess. However the two areas are both dry but they are very weak and spongy. After reading your reply I shall seek expert oppinion when we over winter in Almerimar.
    Thanks

My apologies, because my boat has a foam core in the hulls above the waterline, in the deck, cockpit coamings, even in some moveable interior benches; it is, of course, a different design. If there is no core material, then what you suggest for reinforcement is absolutely viable. I suspect that the deck is, however, not 'soft' (in the way that term is generally used), but rather 'flexible' in the areas you describe.

While marine plywood, epoxy resin and biaxial cloth/woven roving would do the trick, so would some other core material (and to the extent that the area is curved, it would likely be easier to install). So while I would recommend getting an opinion/estimate from a reputable yard, I wouldn't write off a DIY solution if you have reasonable access to the back of the panels in question.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Brad

Hi Brad, many thanks. It is always encouraging to get solid feed back. I concur that it is only flexing and not spongy. Because of that I shall over the winter period use marine ply, epoxy resin and cloth to make it stronger.

Many thanks

Peter

Smile Re: solaris sunrise built 1980 to 1990, balsa core deck or foam?

Quote Originally Posted by tidalstreams View Post
    Hi Brad, many thanks. It is always encouraging to get solid feed back. I concur that it is only flexing and not spongy. Because of that I shall over the winter period use marine ply, epoxy resin and cloth to make it stronger.

Many thanks

Peter
    Hi, well we got expert pro advice. Yes it just needs strenghtening. So when we get the roof over the cockpit done we shall also get the deck done where needed

Peter

Glad to hear it Peter - certainly beats having to deal with deck delamination. We look forward to hearing of your progress with the refit.

Cheers!

Brad

I re-opened this thread in order to correct some misinformation I had unintentionally provided in earlier posts concerning my Solaris Sunstream 40. In the course of my refit I replaced all thru-hulls and seacocks and discovered that while the hull is solid frp in the areas surrounding all thru-hulls etc., it is otherwise foam cored below the waterline.

In addition, while replacing hatches and repairing a spongey area in the aft deck where water had permeated the core (due to improper davit installation), I discovered that while the rest of the deck is also foam cored, in three areas with a flat profile (the aft deck, the main saloon and aft cabin coachouse roofs), the core is marine plywood. In order to reduce weight aft, when rebuilding the aft deck I had the plywood replaced with foam core.

Again, I can't speak to the build of other Solaris models.

Brad