Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solaris 42 in refit

Default Re: Solaris 42 in refit

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
    Offcoaster, understand that I haven't sailed a 42. Having said that, while some have crossed oceans, I suspect that even owners will ackowledge that the bridgedeck clearance is less than ideal, especially for sailing to windward in chop, or heavy seas. Of course, the ketch rig that many were fitted with is also not ideal for sailing to windward. If, on the other hand, you expect to stick to the trade wind routes, then enjoy the space and quality of construction.

Brad
    I heard that too. I read in another forum that some folks anchored next to a Solaris 42 could not sleep because of the permanent pitching of the sea against the bridgedeck. Maybe those guys are a bit over the top with this, but at least it raises some concerns. I attach a pic I found on the web, where you can see the bridgedeck clearance very well on a solaris standing on its keels at low tide

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

I'm not saying that he bridgedeck clearance is not, or should not be a concern, but if you have already purchased the boat then why not try it out in varying conditions and see if you can live with it? While it would be unacceptable to me, there are a large number of owners who have been quite happy with their Solaris 42's, including some on this site. Remember, at one time they were called the 'Rolls Royce' of catamarans - and certainly, they were rock solid if dated, commodious, beautifully finished inside, but also stately and slow. They were designed and built, I think, for proponents of the "Gentlemen don't sail to windward' school of sailing. The question is whether that suits you?

Cheers!

Brad

like the space. not yet purchased but interested, though If any OWNER read this thread and would like to contribute some first hand expertise on the "slamming" issue, that would be great!

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Sorry offcoaster, didn't mean to waste your time as a non-OWNER of a 42.

Cheers!

Brad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12