Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just to get the DazCat forum started...

Catcruiser27 Guest

Default Re: Just to get the DazCat forum started...

That is always the standard argurment of most people in traditional craft, same like the eternal Bavaria discussion about ocean crossings.
    You, like a lot of other people, rather sail a bomb proof, sluggish caravan for this maybe occassion you end up in a storm AND a stuck sail. It might never happen. Whereas I rather be sailing properly and fast for 99% of all the other times in a beautifully sailng and balanced craft and accept it might be a little more wet when something gets stuck, if it ever gets stuck.
    Also I would much rather sail a Dazcat (or a Privilege for that matter) in 50 knots of wind with large waves than your Catalac.
    As you said, each to their own.

Having had the front cross beam broken by large waves on a Wharram, I like the idea of no cross beam. Also when it is that rough and you have a problem in the bows you don't want to be there with or without a cross beam - you just have to get on with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Catcruiser27 View Post
    That is always the standard argurment of most people in traditional craft,,,,
    Yes it is, and I'd like to point out that, at least in my case, there's a reason. We have years of catamaran sailing experience in all conditions and know what works and what doesn't. I've had bad things happen out there, and had to deal with them. I can't help feeling that if you had as well, you wouldn't be arguing the point.

That's all I'm going to say on the matter.

Catcruiser27 Guest

Quote: Yes it is, and I'd like to point out that, at least in my case, there's a reason. We have years of catamaran sailing experience in all conditions and know what works and what doesn't.

So what catamarans have you sailed then in all these years? As if you are now sailing a Catalac, I am rather curious to be honest.

Anyway, another reason not to have a crossbeam on a cat like a Dazcat 1195 (or 1395 for that matter) is less weight in the fwd end of the boat and less risk of tripping the boat when hurtling down a wave. I suppose on a Wharram not as important from the weight point of view, but digging in, is something that can happen to a Wharram too I imagine.

Dazcats have been in several years of the Round Brittain and Ireland races in all sorts of weather, including storms and very heavy seas and not ever had a problem. Says something, doesn´t it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12