Thread: Red Sea Chronicles - Initial Review

Default Red Sea Chronicles - Initial Review

Guess what popped through my postbox this morning? Yep, the new Maxing Out video.

I loved the video except for one complaint that I will mention at the end of this quick review

Living in the UK I expected that I would have to play the NTSC video on my computer but no, it was accepted by my DVD player and TV and s I was able to witness it in all its glory on a 50 inch plasma screen.

I have promised Lesley that I will not watch it all until she has come back from a trip when we can watch it together but I could not resist watching the first 20 minutes. So this is my initial review.

First of all this DVD offers a proper professional picture/sound quality rather than the deplorable quality of most cruising DVD's. So its was off to a good start. Great images and sounds about a great experience is what it is all about.

Being filmed, produced, directed, edited - in fact everything done by the same person gives the production a heart that many high budget TV documentaries miss and you gain some understanding of what it is like to be on the cruising on Maxing Out with them.

The graphics, the narrative, in fact the whole production is worth every cent and at the price charged it puts to shame many DVD's costing twice as much and of nowhere near the quality.

So what is my big complaint? Well its that this is only one DVD instead of the set of DVD's that should be produced to describe the Maxing Out experience! That means that I have to wait for the others to be produced

Its a great video that transported me from a damp, cold day in Wales to cruising aboard Maxing Out in the Red Sea - pure nectar. The best cruising video to date from any source and should be on the shelf of every one who shares the cruising spirit even if only in dreams.

I know how much work went into this video and the best compliment I can give is that the work does not show because it is done so well that you just watch and share the experience and that is what any such video should try and achieve..
    Safe Sailing
    Paul
    Blog: www.suliere.com

I have watched the whole DVD, and can only second Pauls comments.

The only "problem" is that this has left me wanting more of the same stuff, just from some of the other places Maxing Out has visited!

It's well worth every penny.

Alan

P.S. I would have like just a bit more details on th maps, eespecially linking the actual video to wwhere it was shot... Maybe beacuase I hope to do the same trip one day

TYRNTLZRDKING Guest

Thumbs up

I have watched the entire video several times.
    Thumbs up.
    I also wish the entire circumnavigation was documented, but this small portion in the Red Sea is excellent.
    Well done.

Jeff

By the way, I enjoyed those extras on the video such as storm management and such - some good sound advice.

I did give in and watch it all because Lesley is away for a week - being a Tai Chi Master Trainer she is training Tai Chi teachers at present.

I mentioned on the phone to her that the DVD had arrived and she told me not too watch it but it was too late. So I have promised not to watch it again until she gets back.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

Thanks for the positive comments about the Red Sea Chronicles. We hope the DVD launches thousands of cruising dreams.

Dave, have you considered making the DVD available as a torrent?
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

Quote Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
    Dave, have you considered making the DVD available as a torrent?
    I had to go to Google to look up what a torrent is. I am now educated - I didn't know that such things existed. I've been away from civilization too long.

I'll have to talk to David, my son, and see what he thinks about torrent. This is his project from start to finish, and that includes marketing and distribution. He is Maxingout Media.

The Red Sea Chronicles project with the special features was so large that he had to use a dual layer DVD to get it all on one DVD. I'm not sure how that would work as a download as it would be in excess of 4 gigabytes. I suspect that they would have to compress it visciously to make it into a download, and David would not sacrifice the quality that he worked so hard to achieve. He tried many different compression methods, and the maps and graphics badly distort on some compression programs. When David put up the "Captain - Save Our Souls" music video on the various video sites on the web, the quality of the picture varies greatly from one video site to the next. It makes him cringe when he sees his work degraded with poor quality compression.

David shot about 200 hours of DVD from Australia back to the USA, and if he can make enough income off the Red Sea Chronicles to justify all the time and work involved, he will put together at least two more DVDs. We have interesting footage from being in the Tsunami in Thailand, visiting endangered orangutans up the Kumai river in Borneo, and other footage that can easily fill out two more DVDs.
    Last edited by Maxingout; 2nd November 2008 at 12:08 AM.

It is possible to produce pretty good quality video for download but only for a small screen. So I see limited use in offering a 'torrent'. Most people want to watch a full size screen.

I will be splitting parts my videos up into sections for streaming and will do them at what is a very good quality for a small screen.I will also offer free ipod downloads etc but these are mainly to promote the main DVD's.

The New St Francis video will probably run to 40 minutes and that is being offered as a streamed video of much higher quality that offered by most sites but its not the same as watching the same footage on a full size screen.

I know some people will be happy to leave a computer downloading all night for a film but I do not think most boaters would go that way.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

I am loathe to contradict you on a number of points, however, I believe that this is an area that you may be in some slight error.

Most people who are interested in a DVD such as this, are in the planning /dreaming phase. Thus capable of broadband connectivity. For those that are looking to refine on an area of interest whilst already afloat and cruising, it is obvious that a disc is a better bet.

However, for the torrent generation, aquisition of a 4gb download (or larger) is not unusual. I have seen some torrents as high as 27gb.

It is true that a single layer (D5) DVD is easier for most people to burn, but most new burners have D9 capability. I dont use it as I find converting a D9 to 2xD5 is more cost effective.

I use torrents mainly to download audio book files for my Ipod - (great for night watches) and there is a tremendous selection available free from Project Gutenberg, or the BBC, and most new books are also being released in this format from Audible - I understand that Amazon has just purchased this company, so expect to see this available from Amazon shortly.
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

I would not worry about disagreeing - it makes for better learning all round.

Anyone can disagree with me anytime on anything and if I am wrong that is great because it means I have learnt more than I knew before.

I agree as regards ipods and in fact, as I mentioned, i will be making available the new St Francis video as an ipod download section by section.

I am also producing a web site that teaches Tai Chi and will also use torrents on that, so I am not against them in principle.

I think that the size of the Maxing Out DVD would mean that the market to download and burn your own DVD is very small. The vast majority would prefer the hard copy and the nice case to keep it in.

I had my Mazing Out DVD super quick so the question would be wait a week or so and have it all done and ready or download tonight and do it yourself - I just think that most would prefer to wait the week.

When I go cruising anyone is going to be able to download video chapters of the journey - bit by bit but again I see the main market being the DVD's.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

sailorgal Guest

Default Great video

I just watched the Red Sea Chronicles and second what all the others have said. I'd love to see a whole series of Maxing Out DVDs.

Good Job!