Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solaris 42 for sale

Default Solaris 42 for sale

See here, I don't know if he is asking a bit much or what
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ocean-going-ca...item2c515d2139

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Default Re: Solaris 42 for sale

The price seems quite fair to me, especially considering it has two new diesels. The only caution I would give is that, while I haven't sailed one, the ketch rigged 42's have a reputation for being reluctant to tack and for having less than ideal bridgedeck clearance. That being said, the construction is bullet proof and the interior accomodation, fit and finish well above other production cats of that vintage.

Brad

Avanti is also listed for sale here...

Should you be interested in this Solaris, I found the blog of the previous owner here... Take your time to read this blog !

A sad story indeed but reality on boating life...
    1979 Catalac 8M - 8-84 - Samimiy
    http://facebook.com/groups/catalac/

It seems this one is even asking less...

But then it seems they lost their mizzen mast which would explain the low price, sailplan must be pretty unbalanced

Tempting though and California is a nice sail away from home :

the Solaris in california can not be from 1978, the aft cabins have round edges- that is just untill 1974!
    but for both cats the price is really cheap, I am still in the middle of a complete refit of my Solaris 42- and eat just soaks money.
    I am still struggeling with the design of a new rigg- can anybody help me out with ideas and tips? I would be very thankful!
    thanks a lot- Heiko

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Heiko, why are you replacing the rig? The difficulty is that you cannot really change the location of the main mast - the mast support, crossbeam and chainplates are engineered for a mast in that position. Could you go with a much higher mast and longer boom and eliminate the mizzen? Perhaps. But the relatively narrow beam of the 42 is designed to be used in conjunction with a rig that has a lower center of effort and which is, accordingly, divided fore and aft.

Simply put, I would stick with the existing design. If a new main mast is required, I would consider going to something a little higher, recognizing that you will need to reef a bit earlier. But of course, that will also require new sails. I would recognize that your boat is never going to be a demon upwind, but appreciate that the rig permits both stability and some flexibility (and you may come to appreciate the benefits of the mizzen as a riding sail when at anchor, and for flexibility in heavy air). In addition, your exisiting sails, even if in need of replacement, can be carried as spares.

Brad
    Last edited by Southern Star; 12th November 2009 at 01:15 PM. Reason: sp

dear Brad,
    thank you very much! I have to replace the mast, because the old and original mast is corrodet, the mizzen mast never had been on that boat in the last 20 years. I personally dont want the 2nd mast, I am a good boatbuilder but a dump sailor- so better as easy as possible!
    I am thinking about a new 15m mast (that bis 1 m longer) and a longer boom, lazy jacks and lazy bag- but, lets see, what comes on the second hand market this winter!
    thanks a lot for your advise!!!
    best regards from sunny Mallorca- Heiko

An additional 1 M in mast height shouldn't be a problem and, as to a longer boom, that will not adversely effect the CE of the sailplan. Sounds like a plan as it should allow you to use the existing mast support and chain plates. Good luck in finding new spars and keep us posted.

Brad

oh yessss....we allready have changed the inox mast support in the salon, the old one was just broken in pieces!!!
    (and now you know how stupid I am to bring a boat in THAT shitty condition into new princess-like perfect shape....;-))

Heiko, I sometimes feel the same way even though my boat was in decent shape when I purchased it. Its the desire for perfection (or at least, something approaching it) that is the short-term problem; having said that, it is also the only way I know to avoid serious problems in the long-term.

I'm a little surprised to hear that the original mast support was 'in pieces'. Unless the boat was capsized, it would tend to indicate an engineering flaw on the 42 originally (even though it is now over 30 years old). Have you had any similar problems with the chain plates?

Brad

Wink Re: Solaris 42 for sale

no, chainplates are allright. the mast was leaking water through the cable-holes in the deck directly in the mast-support, and after 35 years of standing water in the inox support it was just completly rotten.
    and now I am waiting for the new mast coming....;-)

Glad to hear it - my inox mast support is not only intact, but essentially corrosion free after 15 years. Like so many problems that arise in boats, it sounds like indifferent (or a negligent lack of) maintenance by previous owner(s) was the culprit. Glad you have it replaced and are ready for your new mast. Once again, keep us posted.

Cheers!

Brad
    Last edited by Southern Star; 13th November 2009 at 01:22 PM. Reason: sp

I have been told that the solaris 42' in Cornwall is a bit over priced given it's condition. The Solaris in San Diego on the other hand is a much better value considering the low engine hours and the included equipment.
    The arch davit with the built in seats is a great addition and would have cost a few dollars to make and install.
    I am in almost daily contact with the man that built those Solaris cats.
    Although an older technology, they are built to Lloyd's Specs and will certainly stand the test of time.
    Catman

dear Catman,
    may i have his contact email? I am refitting my 42 into better-than-new condition and would love to ask him a couple of questions!
    regards from Mallorca- Heiko

Catman, I second Heiko's request. Is he now residing in B.C.? Let him know that we won't 'bombard' him with questions, but would certainly like to hear anything he has to say about particular models and whether line drawings/sail plans etc. might still be available somewhere (and I, for one, would certainly be prepared to pay for the same if necessary). At the moment I have only the Sunstream plumbing/gas/electrical/layout drawings.

Brad

Default Solaris-man

I just would love to have his comment about my plans to but an 15 m mast with 5 m boom on my Solaris 42, without tghe mizzen!
    ;-)

Default Re: Solaris-man

Quote Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
    I just would love to have his comment about my plans to but an 15 m mast with 5 m boom on my Solaris 42, without tghe mizzen!
    ;-)
    I would suggest that if you are going to use the same mast base as normal, that you need to do something to move the centre of effort of the sails. IMHO it will be unbalanced.

The best would be to move the mast aft somewhat - I cannt advise how far as I dont have enough technical knowledge to come up with a precise position. This of course would be very difficult due to the mast support requirement. An alternative would be to add a prodder and move the forestay forward, thus allowing more canvas in front of the mast. (and increasing sail area)
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

Quote Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
    ;-)
    Modding these from Ketch to Sloop has been done before ...

This one listed for sale has had the mizzen removed and only boom lengthened. I don't have any other info on the boat...

:

Quote Originally Posted by djeeke View Post
    Modding these from Ketch to Sloop has been done before ..
    Just because it has been done that way, does not mean that the resultant sailing performance is acceptable.
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

Quote Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
    Just because it has been done that way, does not mean that the resultant sailing performance is acceptable.
    Did not say so ...

Removing the mizzen will definitely kill all balance as a lot of sail far behind the mast is being removed, I am not in a position to calculate how the balance can be recovered...

Just pointed out it has been done, this job was handed out to a so called 'professional' but as I said I don't have more info, don't even know who did it but Heiko might try to get in touch with the owners to try and find out ...

:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast