Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Solaris 42 for sale

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Default Re: Solaris 42 for sale

I think we are all in agreement that removnig the mizzen will effect the boat's balance; typically, moving the CE of the sailplan aft will increase weather helm. That being said, as I recall the mizzen on the 42 was rather small and the proposal here is to increase both the length of the boom as well as the height of the mast, so the CE will be a little further aft than it would be under only the existing main. Regardless, this may also explain why the boat shown by Djeeke has apparently extended only the boom rather than also adding height to the mast.

I suspect that moving the mast support aft would be virtually impossible without creating huge structural issues, expense and likely unacceptable mods to the initerior layout. Some professional advice from a naval architect would obviously be the best way to go before even considering such a step (indeed, it would be preferable before making significant mods to the rig in any way).

I note that there was what looked like a very nice Cherokee 35 for sale on the margin of the same listing as the Solaris 42; great boats and the basis for my Solaris Sunstream 40 (the hulls were extended by 4 1/2 feet aft to sugar scoop transoms with steps, the rig was moved aft by about the same amount to create a cutter rig, the rudders were mounted on partial skegs, twin diesels were installed, the aft staterooms were extended and the berths mounted anthwartships under a new aft coachouse, collision bulkheads were installed aft and the interior layout was changed). Rod MacAlpine-Downey was the naval architect and some say that there have been no significant improvements in beach cat design since his Tornado of the late 60's (and again, for what its worth, note that the bows/hullshape on his Cherokee/Sunstream are very similar in concept: slight forward overhangs, forward knuckles, and rounded underbody sections aft with some rocker).

Brad
    Last edited by Southern Star; 19th November 2009 at 07:31 PM. Reason: sp

Sorry I have been down in Tortola and St Martin checking out used catamarans.
    I will ask my friend if he wants to respond to your requests about Solaris cats.
    Catman

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Thanks Catman - hope you had a good (and successful) time boat hunting. Keep us posted.

Cheers!

Brad
    Last edited by Southern Star; 3rd December 2009 at 04:42 PM. Reason: sp

I returned from whirlwind tour of Tortola and St Thomas, saw 40' to 47' Leopards, 44' Voyage, 47' Nautitech, 41' Lagoon, and a 36' Jaguar.
    The most surprising was the 36' Jaguar.
    More later

Ok, forgive me if this is a stupid observation, but it seems to me that removing the mizzen mast would move the CE FORWARD, rather than aft. Lengthening the boom would put a bit more sail aft, and therefore tend, I think, to shift the CE back aft, but not as much as the mizzen. Sorry if this is stupid, just my logic!

You are correct.

However, the boom size to achieve the same CE would be really long, and thus sail size would also be overlarge. When you reef you are going to reduce this significantly and move CE forward again. Moving the mast aft will enable these to be more balanced, and also avoid that really large main!
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

Hi Talbot,

I think Ka8uet reacted to this message :
    Quote Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
    An alternative would be to add a prodder and move the forestay forward, thus allowing more canvas in front of the mast. (and increasing sail area)
    Having more sail canvas in front of the mast even moves CE more forward...
    I asked myself the same question...

Right

:
    1979 Catalac 8M - 8-84 - Samimiy
    http://facebook.com/groups/catalac/

Quote Originally Posted by djeeke View Post
    Hi Talbot, Having more sail canvas in front of the mast even moves CE more forward...
    I asked myself the same question...
    Forgottten I had written that - must have been having a bad day
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

I was just noting that everyone was talking as though removing the mizzen would move the CE aft, and it didn't make sense to me. Also, I know that it would take an inordinately long boom to compensate for the mizzen sail. That seemed unreasonable to me, just from the standpoint of managing the boom and the awkward main! I know that some boats (like the log canoes raced in the Bahamas) DO have extremely long booms. However, thinking as a singlehander, I wouldn't want to have to deal with that!

ka8uet, I think we are all (now) in agreement that removing the mizzen will move the center of effort forward; while I don't know the balance of the boat as originally designed, I (and others here) suspect that you will need to do something to move the CE somewhat aft again in order to avoid lee helm (or put another way, to induce some weather helm). Lee helm can be dangerous , especially in a multihull (causing the boat in gusts to bear-off and take wind/seas on the beam ).

A large mainsail is not necessarily a bad thing; indeed, most modern cats are designed with very large mains and relatively small foresails. You could increase the size of the main without greatly increasing the length of the boom by going to a flat top main; that, however, would require the elimination of backstays and therewith, undoubtedly a change in the position of the chainplates. Once again, a significant structural modification that you may want to avoid.

As to sailng with large mainsails, various cat-rigged monohulls have proven to be decent and safe sailers; consider the Mark Ellis designed Nonsuch range, which have a deserved reputation for simplicity in handling and surprisingly good performance. For ease in handling, you would clearly want to go with a full batten main and lazy jacks; I would also want a good single-line reefing system. But in the end, a large main with a longer foot seems to be the easiest way to accomplish what it is that you are hoping to accomplish.

Brad

What about going with an unstayed junk rig? Would that produce the additional sail area needed without the problems associated with the longer boom? Also, the boat I am considering is cat rigged, and has no foresail.

This is not a monohull neither is it a racing catamaran.
    I really think you worry to much about such things.
    It is a cruising catamaran that can support many combinations of sails and not be overly negatively affected by the wrong choice.
    Cheers

Catman, whether or not they are racing boats, catamarans can still suffer from lee/excessive weather helm and the CE of the sailplan is a significant factor. Especially when one is considering the cost of a new mast/boom/standing rigging/mainsail, I believe that it is very wise to worry a little and think things through before leaping.

Put another way, in eliminating the mizzen while attempting to maintain the overall SA, I for one would want to avoid the expense/risk associated with large structural changes, all while attempting to make the smallest change possible to the CE of the sailpan (assuming the boat was originally well-balanced). It would seem that others agree, as that appears to be the focus of these discussions.

Brad
    Last edited by Southern Star; 9th December 2009 at 07:29 PM. Reason: sp

Malcolm Taylor, built Solaris Catamarans for over 25 years, is now in Florida.
    He is available for questions and catamaran surveys.
    Contact me, Catman by private message and I will give you his email.
    Cheers

We own a Solaris 42 and would like to make contact with other Solaris owners. We require a new survey this year and as we are in GA and intend to haul in Florida would like to speak to Malcolm Taylor about a survey. Could you please let us have his telephone number?

Quote Originally Posted by ka8uet View Post
    What about going with an unstayed junk rig? Would that produce the additional sail area needed without the problems associated with the longer boom? Also, the boat I am considering is cat rigged, and has no foresail.
    Have you found your 'liveaboard' cat yet?

Quote Originally Posted by svaeolus View Post
    We own a Solaris 42 and would like to make contact with other Solaris owners. We require a new survey this year and as we are in GA and intend to haul in Florida would like to speak to Malcolm Taylor about a survey. Could you please let us have his telephone number?

Dear friends, can you please send me some fotos of your boat? I am very intrested to see your boat!
    I am currently deep-refitting my Solaris 42, will be a brandnew boat soon.
    i would love to send you pics of our work. my email is noackheiko@gmx.de
    did you changed the rig?
    best regards from Mallorca, Spain-.
    Heiko

Quote Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
    Dear friends, can you please send me some fotos of your boat? I am very intrested to see your boat!
    I am currently deep-refitting my Solaris 42, will be a brandnew boat soon.
    i would love to send you pics of our work. my email is noackheiko@gmx.de
    did you changed the rig?
    best regards from Mallorca, Spain-.
    Heiko

Hi Heiko
    Our boat is inShe has a starter web site (as we intend to sell her this year) www.solaris42.com photos of her are on the site. She has her original ketch rig which we do not find a problem as we are cruising.
    We would love to see photos of your boat.
    Pam and Jim

Pam and Jim, your boat looks terrific - certainly speaks to the quality of construction of the early Solaris cats and as to why the 42 was sometimes referred to as the Rolls Royce of catamarans.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
    Heiko, I sometimes feel the same way even though my boat was in decent shape when I purchased it. Its the desire for perfection (or at least, something approaching it) that is the short-term problem; having said that, it is also the only way I know to avoid serious problems in the long-term.

I'm a little surprised to hear that the original mast support was 'in pieces'. Unless the boat was capsized, it would tend to indicate an engineering flaw on the 42 originally (even though it is now over 30 years old). Have you had any similar problems with the chain plates?

Brad
    I had a 42 in Greece for a few years and spent a fortune on her. Chain plates, all were rusted through at the hull fixing point, buried in grp and the movement at the through deck fitting allowed water to enter and destroyed the balsa core. Great fun.
    On the subject of the mizzen. Never used it, useless as most mizzens are.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast