Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solaris Sunstream 40

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Default Solaris Sunstream 40

Of the 14 Solaris Sunstream 40's that were purportedly built (although I have some indication that a 15th was completed by a former employee in 1989), I have thus far only managed to get details on the history of five of them:

'Nina' - spent 15 years being cruised extensively, going from England, through the Med, across the Atlantic to and through the Caribbean, back across the pond to the Canaries, than back to and through the Caribbean and ultimately up to the Chesepeake, where her current owner (a retired submariner) is preparing her for extended cruising.

Born to Cruise' - sailed across the Atlantic from England to the US where she was cruised by her original owners. Now embarking on an extended cruising life with her current owners, thus far along the US eastern seaboard and the Bahamas. For her blog, see:

http://www.borntocruise.com/

'Voyager' - Sailed by her owners David Clayton and his wife, the author Sandra Clayton, throughout the UK, to Portugal, Spain, throughout the med, Africa, the Canaries and to and through the Caribbean. For her blog (and details on two books about their cruises), see:

http://sandraclayton.web.officelive.com/aboutus.aspx

'Estrella del Sur' (originally commissioned as 'Rumpleteaser') hull#14 - this is my boat and, any questions as to why I risked the rath of Poseidon by renaming her? She too has crossed the Atlantic to Florida, then cruised through the Bahamas, down through the Caribbean as far as Isla Margarita, then back north as far as Lake Ontario where she waits for a return trip to Isla Margarita next year (this one from New York to Bermuda, then St.Martin for the first landfall in the caribbean and, then at a leisurly pace through the rest of the Leeward and Windward Islands). After spending a few years finishing off the construction and start-up of a small 'boutique' beachfront resort on Isla Margarita (and cruising the islands off the coast of Venezuela as well as the coast of Columbia), I intend to sail her back across the Atlantic and cruise the Med for a year.

Katachuk', owned by member Gerhard 'Gokka' and currently being cruised out of Norway. We are awaiting further details from Gerhard, but one older advertisement on his blog shows her in the West Indies, so it is safe to say that she has also crossed the Atlantic at least twice.
    For their blog, see...

http://www.katachukl.com/

There is one other Solaris Sunstream 40, Mon Ami, that has been listed on Multihull World, and another that was situated in Spain that has recently been sold. To date I have been unable to ascertain any details on their histories.

Nevertheless, I suppose it is significant that all five out of the total 14 boats for which I have been able to find a history have been cruised extensively; and moreover, in spite of the fact that they are all getting rather long in the tooth (mine was apparently the last one factory built, in 1994), they are all still being, or about to be cruised extensively by their current owners.

Brad
    Last edited by Southern Star; 29th March 2010 at 04:45 PM. Reason: updated numbers ref. added boat

Default Re: Solaris Sunstream 40

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
    There is one other Solaris Sunstream 40, Mon Ami, that has been listed on Multihull World, and another that was situated in Spain that has recently been sold.
    Any rumors about sale price on the one in Spain? I kept looking at the Yachtworld listing for that one over the last year or so.

John
    "The floggings will continue until morale improves"!

I am the proud owner of a Solaris Sunstream 40, built 1989.
    The boat has been in Norway for the last 10 years.
    Has been totally rebuilt in 2000, new VP MD40 engines and all electronics,
    in top shape! I just love her! :-)
    http://www.katachuk.com

There's an error in the link to your website. This should work: http://www.katachuk.com

Are there any plans for an English translation of your site?

...since there is a world outside Norway as well I should really translate it...
    :-) I let the forum know when it's done...
    Regards Gerhard

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Thanks Gerhard - your boat looks terrific! I noted what appeared to be an old advertisement for the boat when it was in the Caribbean - if so, it would appear that Katachuk has also crossed the Atlantic at least twice, so we are now 5 for 5 on Solaris Sunstream 40's that have been used for blue water cruising.

Perhaps you can fill us in on her sailing history, if you are aware of it. In addition, I am sure that any comments on problems that you have encountered, or upgrades/changes that you can recommend would be of interest.

Finally, as you are aware, information is difficult to obtain on these rather rare beasts - if you have any of the original line drawings (and in particular, the sail plan), sales brochures etc., they would be much appreciated.

Cheers and fair winds!

Brad

..yeah, that's correct, Katachuk has been to the Caribbean!

The story as far as i know:
    A retired english couple purchased Katachuk in 89 and sailed her VAT-free straight away to the Caribbean islands. Originally they wanted to circumnavigate, but due to sickness they had to sell the boat.
    Mr. Stan EVANS, a flight engineer, was the next owner, and he sailed her on many shorter trips through the Windward Islands. Among the more dramatic events was the surviving of a full-size Hurricane at Antigua (with minimal damage).
    Getting tired of flying to the same holiday location every time, he put her on sale, so I went down to English Harbour and after some heavy negotiations she was mine. I sailed her together with my wife from Antigua via the British Virgin Islands (three months brake), South Caicos, Spanish Wells, Nassau, over the Bahamas Bank to Miami.
    From there she was shipped to Gothenburg/Sweden as deck freight.
    Once reassembled, we sailed her to Tønsberg, which is still the home harbour.
    After a leakage in the enine room in 2000 I got rid of the original Yanmar 27hp seawater cooled engines and replaced them with 2 x VP MD40, and added three blade folding props, at this made a lot of difference! You can turn her on the spot in 5 seconds and even in 18ms headwind you still do 6 knots at 2500 rpm! Added also a complete Raymarine C120 system, and a Furuno el-hydraulic autopilot, so comfort and safety is high now. And I do many upgrades and improvements every spring.. (due to the hard winter conditions I have Katachuk om land from October - April).

The last years I had many beautiful tripts (Oslo - Copenhagen, Swedish west coast, Norwegian south coast, Norwegian west coast with fjords), but never sailed to warmer waters - good job, but little time for long trips.
    We are also using her for parties sometimes, where we cruise the Tønsnberg Archipelago and eat fresh shrimps with lots of white wine!

Considering selling her at some point, but when I see her in the spring an think about all the time and dedication, this is normally no option then.. :-).

I do have drawings, they are all in A3, if you are interested please send me your mail address and I send you some photocopies!

Regard Gerhard

Brad, what about Lady Cat that was for sale about the same time you bought yours? I actually requested more info on yours but you had just signed the contract.

Hi Topcat and welcome to the forum. I only know that Ladycat was sold a few years ago, but I have no idea who purchased her. If you saw my boat when it was originally listed, you should see her now. I'm just finishing a COMPLETE refit, including: new main, staysail/storm jib and genoa, new running rigging including blocks for the bridle, jib/staysail/genoa and spinnaker, new lifelines, new hatches, new opening portlights, new fiberglass headliners with teak trim, new cabin sole in the main saloon, new upholstery, new radios, rebuilt 160 gallon/day watermaker, one new refrigeration unit, new water/holding tanks, new hoses, new water heater, new seals in the saildrives, one new refrigeration unit. new solar panels/wind generator and new paint scheme, amongst other things.

Very pleased with the boat overall and looking forward to taking her south.

Brad
    Last edited by Southern Star; 19th February 2010 at 02:03 PM. Reason: sp

Good Day to all you Solaris 40 wizzards!

Some mule must have kicked me to the head, but I have just signed a contract for a Solaris 40 (42'? So why do they call it "40"?) Cat.

After 30 years of very active monohull sailing this is my first cat.
    (Did I mention some mule has kicked me to the head?! LOL)

Quite an adventure I am embarking on - especially since the seller seems to know absolutely nothing about boats in general and his (now mine! hehehe) Solaris in particular.

By what I was able to tell the hull, engines, sails & standing/running rig are in decent shape ... now of course I do not know what the "typical week spots" of the Solaris are? Thanks in advance for any insight on that issue!

The interior needs a lot of TLC and I'll probably end up replacing/renewing most of it. The electronics are a "bad joke" so that will probably see me purchasing an all new set. It got an ST4000 AP and some Matrix 67 GPS Combo unit .... neither of it I have any experience with? Does someone here know? Is it worth to look into repairing fixing these or are these junk and need to be booted?

I also dont have any drawings and someone in this thread suggested he had some - I'd be grateful if you could send me a copy?!

Next: There is virtually no technical data-sheet existing. So I don't even know empty-weight &/or displacement Just the length with a tad less than 42' and the beam with a tad more than 17' are "known".

I dont know if I just have burnt some money or if that was a wise buy - but on the other hand: Since when is buying a boat "wise" to begin with?!
    :

I wanted a cat for the quality of living on board and not for performance. Where I come from (monohulls of different sizes) anything above 6 knots of speed is already incredible anyway ... but quite honestly I am tired of having to hang on to the cockpit winches because the boat is heeling like crazy.

Ah, and another question: Since I have to yet sail the boat from its current location to my home in Mallorca, I forgot to check if the steering is cable or hydraulic - but given the size and year I would assume it to be cable?

So, anyway: I would appreciate ANY and ALL information I can get from you guys on the Solaris 40 Catamaran!
    (And if you think I am totally out of my mind, please dont hesitate to say so! LOL)

Default Solaris Sunstream 40 site translation

Quote Originally Posted by Gokka View Post
    ...since there is a world outside Norway as well I should really translate it...
    :-) I let the forum know when it's done...
    Regards Gerhard
    There is no need; I think google translator does a pretty good job.

http://translate.google.com/translat...com%2F&act=url

Marshall
    "People sail for fun and no one has yet convinced me that it's more fun to go slow than it is to go fast." -- Dick Newick

Hi Amibon and congrats on your new purchase. You say the LOA is 42 feet - are you sure it is a Sunstream 40 and not a Solaris 42? My Sunstream 40 has a LOA of 39'6". The 40 and 42 are very different boats and the responses will, therefore, vary depending on which boat you have.

Check out some pictures on some of the links and let us know if you in fact have a Sunstream 40, or a 42. The steering on my Sunstream 40 is in fact hydraulic.

Brad

*ohm*
    The contract reads "Solaris 40" and the length is given with 42,7'
    You can actually still have a look at the ad I bought it from (dont know when it will get deleted):
    http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/19562

.........am looking forward to a steep learning curve!
    (hopefully not dotted with too many disasters)

Quote Originally Posted by amibon View Post
    *ohm*
    The contract reads "Solaris 40" and the length is given with 42,7'
    OhhK: Met with Heiko today ----- this guy is not just a craftsman but an artist! What a beautiful Cat!
    His boat got nothing in common with a "used, 35 year old catamaran" - this one is brand-new, inside & out, and I'd say 2/3 of the boat are by far better than it ever was when new.
    (But one should not "talk money" with him! That'll be frustrating.... and he has quite different resources than the rest of us on top of it!)

All I can say is: WOW!

In addition, I at least now know that my boat is a "Solaris 42" and it got rod-steering! :-)
    (And I know that mine will never, ever look anywhere close to his! *bfg* ....but I'll be out and about sailing a lot sooner than him!)

Checked the photos and yes, she is a 42. It also looks quite clean for the vintage. Enjoy!

Brad

Hello Brad
    My name is Luisma and I live in the Caribbean at the Boqueron Bay in Puerto Rico. I own a 1986 Sunstream 40 by destiny. It happened that this boat was abandoned by the owner because he died like 5 or 6 years ago, when she sunk in 20 feet deep. I made the salvage and bring her afloat. After making all the legal claims I started to strip her to see If I can rebuild her. From a document I found, that I could barely see, it was a page of a survey that was made in Florida USA many years ago, I knew the model, length, year built and that her first name was Tail Cat and her last name is Tikle II. The last owner was Wayne Tikle a retired USAirforce oficial that lived many years in England. I don't know if he was the guy who took her to the new world. I would like to have information like plans, diagrams, something that would help me to rebuild her. The most dificult part is that the steel structure that is in the entrance and suport the mast and two halyard plates, it is completely rusted and I have to change it so I can sail her. My email is luismaelizalde@msn.com, So I would apreciate any information I can receive. With kind regards Luisma.

I would appreciate any information since I'm started working in the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by luisma View Post
    I would appreciate any information since I'm started working in the boat.
    Hello. You have certainly got yourself a 'project' by the sound of it.

It may take a while before other Solaris people on the forum pick up on what you are doing.

Do you have any pictures of the boat and the problems? These would certainly help everyone's understanding of it.

Good luck with it.

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Hi Luisma and welcome to the forum. Looks like we found another Sunstream 40 that made at least one bluewater passage - although it would be nice to know what happened to her! I would love to see some photos, if you get a chance. Are there any signs of hull damage, or what led to her sinking? Frankly, there are (allegedely) watertight compartments both fore and aft which I have been thinking of filling with foam (or ping pong balls) and you have just convinced me to stop thinking about it and do it!!!!!

I have some diagrams re: the wiring, gas, plumbing installation, etc. but they are on my boat which is put away for the winter. It will be a few weeks before I get out to her to start getting her ready for a launch in late May, but I would be happy to scan and send copies to you if you can PM me your email address. I am also starting to write an owner's manual/history for the boat; I have the history of the Sunstream 40 done, so I can send you that right away.

Do you have any idea of the hull number? Mine has it etched into the faceplate for the 12V breaker panel and, of course, on the serial number in the transom. Have you checked for hull/deck delamination? There is core in the deck and the hulls above the water line and I would be surprised if, once they dry out (????!!!!!) there aren't some voids. In addition, the interior bulkheads are structural and are marine ply tabbed to the hulls/bridgedeck and I am sure that they will require replacement. The mast support to which you refer is not stainless steel but I would estimate it to be at least 7 mm thick! I would think that you could replace that with aluminum, if you wanted (although as mine is encased in wood, I haven't seen how it is mounted). As to the chainplates - yes chainplate replacement would be a pain. However, it is something which has been required on a number of old boats that haven't been submerged for years!

I guess the real question is whether the boat is worthy of restoration. After having been submerged in salt water (and salt water with high salinity at that lattitude) for that period of time, it would surprise me if there is anything that is still useable. If the hulls hadn't been cored..... You have to remember, gelcoat is somewhat water permeable. Even if all deck hardwared was fully sealed before installation (and it wasn't on mine), some water will still get through. My boat has an epoxy barrier coat below the waterline to prevent blistering (done by the original owner), but it doesn't have it on the rest of the hull, let alone the interior.

I would take readings with a moisture meter at this point, but before I started any work/big expeditures, I would build a rain cover that allows venitlation and let her sit for about 6 months and then assess the condition of the hull and deck. Use a moisture meter again and a rubber mallet and see where you are. If you have to remove the inner skin throughout and then install new core and glass it over - well, you might as well forget it. Indeed, I assume that the entire rig is gone and that the front aluminum cross beam may even need replacing ( is the aluminum pitted from submersion?)

The boats were well-built, but I can't imagine any boat that could be restored at a reasonable cost after being submerged in warm salt water for that duration. Anyway, PM me your email address and I will email you a history of the boat and its design.

Cheers (and again, i would love some photos)!!!!!!!!

Brad
    Last edited by Southern Star; 29th March 2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: sp

Sorry Luisma, just noticed that you had provided your email address in your first post - I'll forward the history of the Solaris Sunstream 40 now.

Brad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast