Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solaris Sunstream 40

Default Re: Solaris Sunstream 40

Hi Brad
    Tikle II went down because there are two 3/4 througholes on the port side that takes seawater I don't know for what, one of them broke under the shutoff valve, and sank just in one night. I was fishing on a Marlin tournament during one weekend, and when I went on Monday to check the boat she was on the bottom of the bay resting on that side. I had to dive and using drums filling them with air, I first level the boat on the bottom and then put drums on each side until she floated enough that let me use a 3" gasoline water pump to take all the water out. So keep on eye on the througholes if you don't want your boats to go down. Send me your email and I will send you photos of it. Thank you for answering so soon.
    Luisma

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Thanks for that, although they are supposed to be unsinkable. Any signs of holes into the bow and stern bouyancy compartments from the interior of the boat (even if just for the installation of wiring for, say an electric windlass, or a deck wash that was improperly sealed )?

Do you have any idea if the boat had been abandoned prior to sinking? Yes, a broken thru-hull can allow in quite a bit of water, but its easy to solve with a tapered wooded plug, or a number of other things. Unless it was abandoned at the time, it almost sounds as if the boat was scuttled for insurance purposes.

Regardless, as I said yesterday, this has convinced me to fill the fore/aft bouyancy compartments with foam.

Brad

1987 Solaris Sunstream with Electric Motors run from a Volvo Penta Generator D1-30 , deceased estate

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987...ulce/Guatemala

just wondering if someone knows something about this boat?

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Not sure about that one, but here is a 1987 that was listed for sale at $135,000.00, with an offer pending:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987.../United-States

I believe that she may be the former 'Lady Cat' which was upgraded and cruised on the US Eastern Seaboard and down to the Bahamas for a couple of years under the name 'Born to Cruise'.

Brad

Default Re: Solaris Sunstream 40-resistance to capsize

While most current cats have BWL/LWL ratios of 50% or greater, the ratio on the Sunstream 40 is only 43% (16'0"/37'3"). Does this mean that the Sunstream 40 (and similarly the Solaris 42, which has an even lower BWL/LWL ratio) is more vulnerable to capsize? In a word, no.

There are various factors in the design of a catamaran that impact upon capsize resistance and the BWL/LWL ratio is only one of them. Also relevant are LWL (longer is better), displacement (more is better). Cg (the center of gravity and lower is better), Ce (the center of effort of the sailplan and again, lower is better), SA overall (again, smaller is better), windage (here less is more), etc. The following is a listing of the KSI (Kelsall Stability Index) and SSpd (Stability Speed) for various well-known catamarans.

The KSI was developed by famed naval architect Derek Kelsall and is a formula for determining the wind speed at which a catamaran is at risk of capsizing. It considers full working sail, unreefed, with the winds directly on the beam.

The SSpd was developed by another famed designer of multihulls, John Shuttleworth, and represents the steady wind speed at which a cat with full working sails, sheeted in, is at risk of raising a hull, albeit not capsizing. It is a conservative number in that the wind speed noted takes into account gusts 40% higher than the stated wind speed - i.e., a 20 knot figure does not mean that a cat could raise a hull with a 20 knot wind directly abeam, but rather that it could do so with a gust of 28 knots as might be expected in steady 20 knot winds.

BOAT SSpd KSI

Gemini 105C 17.04 Knots 28.66 Knots
    PDQ 36 Capella 20.19 Knots 33.96 Knots
    Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36 19.85 Knots 33.40 Knots
    Lagoon 37 17.85 Knots 30.02 Knots
    Fountaine Pajot Athena 38 19.46 Knots 32.73 Knots
    Admiral 38 19.15 Knots 32.21 Knots
    Leopard/Moorings 38 18.18 Knots 30.58 Knots
    Broadblue 385 18.67 Knots 31.41 Knots
    Manta 40 20.18 Knots 33.95 Knots
    Solaris Sunstream 40 20.94 Knots 35.23 Knots
    Lagoon 380 23.63 Knots 39.76 Knots
    Lagoon 410 22.72 Knots 38.23 KNots

In spite of a BWL/LWL ratio that is lower than all but the Gemini 105C, the Sunstream 40 ranks ahead of all but the Lagoon 380 and 410. It should also be noted that as there are no numbers available for windage, these formulae do not penalize boats that present slab topsides/coach houses that would also tend to increase the effect on the beam of both wind and waves. As a result, boats such as the PDQ 36 and Solaris Sunstream 40, with tiered side decks and less windage, would probably fare even better in the real world than their more 'contemporary' cousins.

All of these figures were obtained from www.multihulldynamics.com/. Sadly, they do not print numbers for the Solaris 42, although I expect the results to be a little better that the Sunstream 40 (in spite of the lower BW/LWL ratio) due to its higher displacement, lower bridgedeck clearance and lower SA/D ratio.

Brad

Default Re: Solaris Sunstream 40 for sale

For anyone interested, there is a 1989 Sunstream 40 situated in the UK currently listed in yachtworld for $122,284 USD. There is no mention of any recent refit, although she does seem well equipped. Based upon her location and the prior cruising itinerary in the lisitng, I am wondering if this is 'Voyager' - the boat owned by author Sandra Clayton and her husband David. Sandra wrote 3 books highlighting some of their cruising experiences in the boat.

Brad
    Last edited by Southern Star; 13th December 2015 at 07:11 PM. Reason: title

Default Re: Solaris Sunstream 40 Hull/Deck Construction

During the course of the refit of my boat, I was able to confirm the following detais concerning her construction:

Hull - foam cored with solid frp surrounding all thu-hulls.
    Deck - foam cored except marine plywood core in the flat areas of the coachroof over the main saloon and aft cabins. Solid frp (no core) in coachroof over the lower front fixed portlights in the main saloon.
    Last edited by Southern Star; 13th December 2015 at 07:24 PM. Reason: title

Hi all ,I am trying to discover if Solaris ever actually made a 'Sunstream 12' ? The 'Sunstream 40' is obviously around 12m LOA, however has anyone any information about the factory building and naming a 'Sunstream 12' model?

Many thanks if anyone on this interesting forum can help at all.

I have never heard of a 'Solaris 12', but Solaris did build some one-offs of a few of their models with hull extensions. Do you have any pictures?

Brad

Hi Brad

This is the boat i now own,1992 Solaris 'Sunstream 12'. I believe she is very similar to the Sunstream 40.LOA 12.14m.
    Attached Images Attached Images

G'day Brad, The vessel mentioned in the Clayton series of books as Voyager, is actually No.9 of the build series and named "Monami". Currently she's in Cape Verde Island on her way from Emsworth, England, to the East coast of Australia near Sydney, after being on the hard stand for quite a few years (6 or 7?)with her previous owner. I purchased her in February, and fitted one new Yanmar engine, and replaced all the sea-cocks (frozen solid in the open position) as well as all the sailing lines etc for her travels to "Down Under". My Lady "Monami" still hasn't quite gotten use to the idea that she's going to be traversing the world for the rest of this year, but I'm hopefully she'll warm to the Idea.
    On a side note, there is another Sunstream 40 inside the Marina in Mindelo, here on moorings, Purr fect I think she's named but there is no sign of her current owner so I can not tell you her build number.
    Hoo roo, Agnew

Well done with getting 'Monami'.

You've taken on one hell of a shake-down cruise! Good luck all the way.

Cheers

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Thanks for the information, Agnew and congrats on your new acquisition and in embarking on your very ambitious shake-down cruise. We have spent $75k on our refit and have not regretted it. As I am sure you have already found out, they really were built like tanks - after 23 years, our only stress cracks are on the propane locker lid!

A new main and yankee have certainly helped our performance, but she will never be fast upwind. That being said, she performs decently when running/reaching and tracks as if she were on rails. On our gulfstream crossing from the Bahamas to Florida in late April we were comfortably running 11 plus knots in 19 knots off the stern quarter - admittedly aided by 2 plus knots of current. OK, nothing earth shattering, but solid performance for an overloaded cruising boat of her vintage.

The bridgdeck clearance is a bit less than ideal, but we have seldom suffered more than 'slapping' due to relatively narrow beam and the fine entry and very gentle curve over the entire length of the bridgdeck.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ours. And Andsman, your boat is indeed a Sunstream 40 with hull extensions aft.
    She looks great!

Regards,

Brad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12