Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: MC30

TYRNTLZRDKING Guest

Default Re: Maine Cat 30 hull #60

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmultis View Post
    Excellent Choice jeff. Congratulations and well done, remember - keep it light and keep it simple.
    Andrew,

Thanks. Keep it simple I will do.
    Cannot afford to add much more.
    Looks like I will be all 12 volt and not add the inverter
    for 110. Is that to simple?

TYRNTLZRDKING Guest

Quote Originally Posted by therapy View Post
    Congratulatios on the "to be".

I can't believe you bought that instead of my Gem though.

Members discount and all that ya know!
    Thanks!
    Not sure I am doing the right thing buying new or not, but I know this is the only chance in my life I will have the opportunity.

TYRNTLZRDKING Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jkd View Post
    Congratulations Jeff! I guess that money finally burned through your pocket.

I see a couple of used ones on yachtworld now also. Did not see them before. Nice looking boats!

John
    Yes, the money was burning a hole in my pocket big time!
    As I said before, I am extremly concerned about hyper inflation here in the USA.
    Obama has three and a half more years in office.
    Things will not be getting better or cheaper anytime soon, and taxes will not be getting any lower.
    Could not think of any investments which would be safe other than gold which is already very high.

Remember "All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them". This is a quote from Walt Disney which I got off Ocean Dreams blog.
    It is so true, I went through all the same angst about takng the plunge and in the end realised one generally is far more unhappy about things one does not do than what one does, hence I went for it. You will not regret it, enjoy the build as well, it is so much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrntlzrdking View Post
    Andrew,

Thanks. Keep it simple I will do.
    Cannot afford to add much more.
    Looks like I will be all 12 volt and not add the inverter
    for 110. Is that to simple?
    Nope. My boat is all 12 volt run off the solar panels, I have one plug in inverter for charging lap top and camera etc. I have never had to plug into shore power or battery charger. Mind you I do get a bit of sun here.

TYRNTLZRDKING Guest

Quote Originally Posted by paulrack View Post
    Remember "All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them". This is a quote from Walt Disney which I got off Ocean Dreams blog.
    It is so true, I went through all the same angst about takng the plunge and in the end realised one generally is far more unhappy about things one does not do than what one does, hence I went for it. You will not regret it, enjoy the build as well, it is so much fun.
    Thank you for that. There is some "angst".

Jeff

You may be broke now, but think of the pleasure you will get when you lay your hands on her, I at long last (just had the call) have the go ahead that all is well with my engine and weather permitting will be playing on Saturday.

Ian,

Thanks. Yes, I felt obligated as a moderator to purchase a cat, but you are the wealthy one now.
    Yesterday I was wealthy, now I am broke. Hope it works out!

This word 'angst' is it an anagram ie "GNATS" as in the very well know English says 'I don't give a GNATS'.

There is some "angst".

TYRNTLZRDKING Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmultis View Post
    Nope. My boat is all 12 volt run off the solar panels, I have one plug in inverter for charging lap top and camera etc. I have never had to plug into shore power or battery charger. Mind you I do get a bit of sun here.
    Andrew,
    Good to hear you survive without the 110 as well.
    I added multiple extra 12 volt outlets throughout the boat.
    I am planning on using one of these mini inverters when cruising.
    inverter

I will only have 110 volt to three outlets when plugged into shore power.
    I will have two 110 watt solar panels charging two 8D Lifeline Absorbed Glass Mat 255 amp batteries.
    Hopfully I wlll have enough sun to keep things topped off.

TYRNTLZRDKING Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
    Jeff

You may be broke now, but think of the pleasure you will get when you lay your hands on her, I at long last (just had the call) have the go ahead that all is well with my engine and weather permitting will be playing on Saturday.
    There will be pleasure, but also pressure not to scrape the new hulls along the side of the multiple locks going home.
    I have no idea how to sail one of these things.

Enjoy your boat. Hope the engine run smooth. Post some picture when you get out on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
    Jeff

I at long last (just had the call) have the go ahead that all is well with my engine and weather permitting will be playing on Saturday.

GOOD LUCK IAN !!!!!!!
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Wish you lived nearer, I have several spare fenders about 2 or 3 nearly as big as me, they would protect your boat going through the locks .

Sail them what are you talking about, I thought they were only supposed to be used as week end cottages

I will post some pics.

Get on eBay as quickly as possible for bits and pieces, much cheaper than those thieving chandlers , I paid £65.00 for 50 metres of 16mm Anchorplait - Chandler price £140.00

There will be pleasure, but also pressure not to scrape the new hulls along the side of the multiple locks going home.
    I have no idea how to sail one of these things.

Enjoy your boat. Hope the engine run smooth. Post some picture when you get out on the water.

If you are tight on power it might be worthwhile to spec LED interior lights and a LEF tricolour with anchor light?

TYRNTLZRDKING Guest

What do you mean by tight for power?
    Do you mean battery capacity or solar panel output?

I did opt for the LED tri color lights.

The second battery is a option most MC 30 do not have for a total 510 amps.

Here is a list of the other stock lights onboard.

Interior and bridgedeck 12 volt lighting including five (5) Gator 10 watt Xeon reading lights; five (5) Hella fluorescent 8-watt fixtures; two (2) Hella LED cockpit courtesy lights; one (1) Guest red/white dome light on the bridgedeck and one (1) Hella dome light inside the forward beam.

I added four interior fans.

Just if you get a number of cloudy days and get a low charge from the panels. Can you charge via the o/b motors.

I went onto the Maine website, the boats look stunning. I have never seen one this side of the pond. On the specs I see they say one reef? Is that correct?

TYRNTLZRDKING Guest

MAINE CAT 30 CRUISER PACKAGE

SPECIFICATIONS

Spars, Sails, Roller Furling, Rigging and Deck Hardware:

Custom 42’ anodized aluminum mast fractionally rigged with single spreader and forward jumper stay on mast. Low friction “Strong Track” for mainsail. All spars custom built by Selden Mast, Inc.

Unique mast step arrangement directs halyards (3) and reefing lines (2) to outboard turning blocks and then to labeled clutches.

One (1) Lewmar AST 30 two speed self-tailing winch on port side for jib and lazy jacks and one (1) Lewmar AST 40 two-speed self-tailing winch on the starboard side for the main halyard and reef system. A total of seven Lewmar rope clutches port and starboard under the protection of the hardtop.

Radial-cut Pentex high performance mainsail, 366 sf, five full-length battens, two reefing positions and low friction “Strong Track” system. Includes Sunbrella mainsail cover.

Radial-cut Pentex high performance jib, 134 sf, with Schaefer 2100 Series roller furling/reefing system. Includes sewn-on white Sunbrella foot and leech cover.

Lewmar self-tacking jib traveler system with Torlon ball car on 6’ track.

Lewmar 8:1 mainsheet tackle on 9’ track with continuous car control line.

All lines lead to the convenience and safety of the hardtop enclosure.

Engines, fuel tankage, controls and steering system:

Twin Yamaha 8 hp, high thrust, 4-cycle, low emission engines housed under the aft bridgedeck seats in sound insulated and ventilated engine wells. Engines can be emergency pull started if needed.

Electric hydraulic trim and tilt each motor to eliminate prop drag while sailing.

26-gallon total fuel capacity in two removable tanks for ultimate fuel system reliability and ease of maintenance. Fuel filters piped into supply lines.

Kobelt single-lever dual engine controls and “zero” friction Felsted control cables. These controls and cables are the highest quality available and offer a 5-year warranty.

Custom steering pedestal with beautifully engineered Edson CD-i rack and pinion wheel steering. This custom system includes all solid aluminum drag links. The result is a helm with “feel” and no chance of failure.

Pedestal mounted Ritchie Navigator FN-201 compass with switched light.

Electrical and Solar Charging System:

Electrical distribution panel built by Bass Products with fourteen DC circuit breakers and three AC breakers. Includes backlighting and voltage meters.

One (1) 8D Lifeline Absorbed Glass Mat maintenance-free deep cycle marine battery, 255 amp/hours. The lightest, most efficient battery on the market.

Navigational lights including foredeck, anchor light, steaming lights and mast top tricolor.

Interior and bridgedeck 12 volt lighting including five (5) Gator 10 watt Xeon reading lights; five (5) Hella fluorescent 8-watt fixtures; two (2) Hella LED cockpit courtesy lights; one (1) Guest red/white dome light on the bridgedeck and one (1) Hella dome light inside the forward beam.

Protected 110-volt inlet shore power plug and two (2) GFI 110-volt outlets.

Two (2) 12-volt receptacles standard one at the steering pedestal console and one in the forward beam above the settee table.

Solar panel system including two (2) premium 110-watt solar panels wired through a Sigma Delta controller to charge the battery and satisfy your electrical requirements without running the engines.

Outputs from both engine alternators are run to the absorbed glass mat battery house battery.

Electronics, VHF and Stereo:

Garmin instrumentation includes depth, speed and wind transducers and two (2) GMI 10 displays. Displays are mounted forward under hardtop. Microprocessor features NEMA input and output for GPS, autopilot and flux gate compass integration. Below decks mechanical autopilot complete.

Pedestal mounted Icom 504 VHF radio with Metz masthead antenna run through a splitter for FM radio antenna.

Sony AM/FM/CD stereo system complete with Sony waterproof speakers mounted in the back beam facing forward.

Mechanical and Refrigeration:

10 lb. Aluminum propane tank with leak test gauge, regulator and electric solenoid in vented, airtight locker under port forward bridgedeck seat.

Two (2) single burner Seaward Princess propane stoves set-up side by side with sea rail kit including two pair of pot holders and stainless steel heat deflector shield.

Frigoboat, 12-volt holding plate refrigeration system installed in a super-insulated 4.2 cubic foot front-loading refrigerator. Keel - cooled compressor. Requires less than 21 amps per day to operate.

Plumbing:

Lavac marine vacuum toilet which does not clog and will never leak.

Twenty-gallon gravity waste holding tank with deck mounted pump-out connection fitting and simple over-board discharge at sea.

Two (2) food grade polyethylene fresh water tanks. One under port chart table bench, 20 gallons; one under starboard master berth, 25 gallons; and an insulated 15-gallon fiberglass “hot” water tank in the forward beam. Total capacity 60 gallons

Two (2) electric automatic bilge pumps piped with check valves.

Whale Gulper gray water pump for shower sump pan in head.

Hot and cold pressure water at three fixtures:
    Vanity in head with handle that extends for use as shower fixture.
    Single mixer-handle (extension) fixture at the galley double bowl sink.
    Stern shower on the top step of the starboard hull.

Highest quality Scandvik polished stainless steel sinks in galley, 8”deep, (double bowl) and circular 6” deep sink in head.

Interior Accommodations and Finish:

Headroom maximum 6’-3” in hulls. Largest interior volume in her class.

Berths for up to 7, including two very larger doubles aft in each hull with extra ventilation. Doubles are 56” by 6’-8”. Port double easily converts to large navigation station or below-decks dinette. Large single in port hull forward is 44” wide at the head. Snug warm-weather double is on the bridgedeck for sleeping under the stars.

All cushions below decks (total 5 pieces) are 4” high-density foam at dinette and 5” high density foam at master and single berths with durable zippered Sunbrella covers. Ventilated bottom cushion cover.

Faired gelcoat maintenance-free headliner through out interior that can be easily cleaned and kept odor-free indefinitely.

All interior furniture, cabinetry and bulkheads are vacuum-bagged Core-Cell foam cored molded construction with gelcoat finish. This provides additional structural integrity with very little added weight. Will also never need to be continuously maintained or refinished.

Expansive storage lockers and cabinets including hanging locker and dresser in master stateroom. Galley has 12 feet of counter space with granicoat finish on top and 12 cherry trimmed caned doors below with double shelving. Huge storage area in aft section of the forward beam which is accessible from the head and bridgedeck.

Three (3) large sealed air chambers fore and aft in each hull ensure the vessel will never sink. Calculated volume of the air chambers and the structural foam coring yield over 12,000 lbs. of buoyancy.

Satin-finish solid cherry wood trim at all cabinet and door openings.

Two (2) wall-hung cherry cabinets. One above the dresser unit on the starboard side and one above the chart table/dinette aft on the port side. Cherry door at hanging locker behind daggerboard trunk.

Excellent ventilation provided by two (2) Lewmar Ocean Series Size 40 aluminum framed opening hatches with screens, four (4) Lewmar Size 0 opening ports with screens and two (2) large inboard facing companionway hatches with molded lockable hatches and smoked acrylic boards.

Huge fully enclosed head with vanity cabinet, sink, shower, automatic shower sump pump, marine head and storage cabinet inboard at forward beam.

On Deck and Construction Details:

Custom composite fiberglass hardtop bimini with four anodized aluminum supports and stainless steel stanchions provide room to mount solar panels and ability to walk on top of roof. Windows include two (2) side removable Strataglass acrylic windows with Sunbrella borders and two (2) front roll-up Strataglass acrylic windows with Sunbrella borders.

Hardtop aft enclosure system includes five (5) Strataglass acrylic zippered window panels which slide into boltrope tracks top and bottom. Package also includes three (3) screened-panels which fit the two front windows and aft center zippered panel “door”.

Molded non-skid on all deck and bridgedeck surfaces. Three (3) large flush scuppers for self-bailing bridgedeck drainage.

Four (4) bridgedeck seats with storage lockers under forward. Providing comfortable seating for up to 10 persons with 2” closed cell Sunbrella covered cushions. Two steps access the foredeck.

Two (2) large self-draining storage lockers in forward beam. Hatches and molded backs also function as comfortable “rumble-seats” for two.

Two (2) vinyl coated polyester trampolines on the foredeck provide safe drainage. Solid centerline plank divides trampolines and holds stainless steel anchor roller, chain tensioner and optional screacher pole.

Anchor is “Fast Set” 22 pound galvanized Delta with 6’ of galvanized chain and 200’ of 9/16” nylon rode.

Custom anodized aluminum compression tube with properly isolated stainless steel brackets attached to hull.

Custom schedule 40 stainless steel stern rail with inboard side rails included.

Composite Davits, completely rigged with 5-part tackles & HD backing plates

Molded-in non-skid transom steps on each hull to waterline.

“Smoked” acrylic windows outboard on port and starboard deckhouses.

Four (4) ten-inch stainless steel mooring cleats, fore and aft, port and starboard. Stainless Steel mooring chocks port and starboard bows.

Hull and deck are composite construction utilizing vacuum-bagged Core-Cell structural foam core, vinylester and polyester resins with biaxial and triaxial fiberglass fabrics.

Hull to deck joint bonded with urethane adhesive / sealant and fiberglassed on the interior with 1708 triaxial tapes. Hull to deck joint is glassed and faired at bows and stern steps for a seamless finish. Exterior rigid vinyl rub rail with stainless steel insert provides protection to the topsides.

"Sacrificial" bumper keels which are not molded as part of the hull structure. Provides very shoal draft and ability to dry-out on tide without touching a hull.

Balanced fixed, under-body 12% foil rudders with 1-1/4" diameter solid 316L stainless steel shafts and high density coring.

Single daggerboard in the starboard hull, 12% foil section, foam core provides exceptional windward performance.

Interlux Interprotect 2000 epoxy barrier-coating system followed by two coats of ablative CSC Extra Micron with Biolux premium bottom paint.

USCG safety package including: 6 PFD’s, horn, 2 fire extinguishers, flares, four dock lines, Life Sling, and 3 fenders.

Thank you for the opportunity to present this information on the beautiful and affordable Maine Cat 30 performance family cruising catamaran.

Last updated July 10, 2010.

When going through the locks put your fenders in 30 gallon garbage bags - saves your fenders and the boat from the grime and dead sea life that accumulates on the lock walls (does that happen in fresh water?)

We were given that tip when going through the locks on the Dismal Swamp - great!

Fair Winds,
    Mike

TYRNTLZRDKING Guest

Quote Originally Posted by paulrack View Post
    Just if you get a number of cloudy days and get a low charge from the panels. Can you charge via the o/b motors.

I went onto the Maine website, the boats look stunning. I have never seen one this side of the pond. On the specs I see they say one reef? Is that correct?
    It says single line reefing. I assume there is more than one reef possible. I will look into it.

Yes the outboards do charge the batteries.

TYRNTLZRDKING Guest

MAINE CAT 30 CRUISER PACKAGE SPECIAL

Maine Cat 30 Cruiser Package specifications dated July 10, 2010
    Twin Yamaha 8 hp, 4-stroke, high thrust, electric start, hydraulic trim and lift
    Kobelt dual single level engine controls and Felsted 33 premium cables
    Radial-cut Pentex main, sail cover, and Selden MDS low friction cars
    Radial-cut jib on Schaefer 2100 series roller furler with cover

Sport hardtop with full acrylic enclosure and three screens

Two 110 watt solar panels mounted on hardtop with solar controller
    Garmin instruments (speed, depth and wind), with extra display
    Simrad AP 24 autopilot with HLD350 hydraulic cylinder, below decks
    Epoxy barrier coating and two coats ablative bottom paint
    22# Delta anchor, bow roller, tensioner, 200’ by 9/16”rode and 6’ chain
    Frigoboat 12 volt holding plate refrigeration system, keel-cooled
    Icom M504 VHF radio complete with Metz mast head antenna and wiring

Sony AM/FM/CD stereo system with two Sony waterproof speakers