Thread: Out in Africa

Default Out in Africa

We are in St Francis now with the boat just days away from finishing ... felt a bit decadent when we played the DVD with stereo sound over our Raymarine E120 in the cockpit so that those on night watch can watch a film to relieve the boredom .. something we never ask for but now have!

She is looking stunning and it marvellous to see all they systems (well most) working.

The final work will be done in Cape Town but she is almost there.

SF Marine did a great job on an incredible davit system for that 600 lbs rib.A one off system that powers the job all the way with a few manual light tasks on the way.

So we are super busy doing the final snag list and hope to start moving our stuff onto Suliere on Monday.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul
    Blog: www.suliere.com

Default Re: Out in Africa

Quote Originally Posted by ForumAdmin View Post
    we played the DVD with stereo sound over our Raymarine E120 in the cockpit so that those on night watch can watch a film to relieve the boredom .. something we never ask for but now have!
    That's just NOT right! Now you will have all the fishing boats trying to pull up close to your starboard side so they can watch a flick. Mark my words, your going to cause a wreck with that thing.

Glad everything is moving forward.

As always, post more pix please.

John
    "The floggings will continue until morale improves"!

Glad it is going well, I am sure it has been a huge process commissioning all the systems. Please let us know when you are in CT.

Best wishes
    Paul

Here are some Sukiere images taken today
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

Default More Images

And more
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

And a few more
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

Wow Paul and Lesley, absolutely stunning!!!!! I love the interior look with the bamboo, it really came out well. With all those controls at the helm Paul you are going to have to remember not to call for taxi and take off clearance on runway1!

I am sure you are going to have so many happy adventures on Suliere

Wow, very nice... SF knows their stuff...

Are those Kyocera d.blue panels?

Thaaaaanks for the pictures

Paul - A thing of beauty (even if you did forget to include a hot tub)

One question - where is the stern navigation light? I have not seen it on any of the photos. Its not hidden behind the dinghy is it.
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

Paul,
    Truly amazing.
    I now know that even if I win a big lotto I will not go that big. I can't handle that many remotes. No way!

Thanks for the nice comments.
    The stern light is centre back on the bimini roof - can be seen in the image.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

Paul, she looks stunning. Congratulations to you guys. The interior is just fabulous. Love the way you got a 600mm d/w in the galley - no messing about! :-)

One geeky point. I've been running ST70s and STNG network all 2009 season, all ok. But the ST70s don't dim in synch over the network. As evening comes then darkness you have to dim each one separately, and it's a real PITA - I have 6 of them and I see you have 7. But Raym have now issued 2.05 software that fixes this. It's unlikely your ST70s have been shipped with this (check menu: diagnostics/about display) and it's a dealer fit item, not downloadalbe from raymarine.

So it's worth seeing if you can have this installed (and make sure you have 5.52 on the E120s at the same time, which I guess you have else the STNG network wouldn't be working well). If you can't get it installed locally email me and I'll send it to you on a CF chip that you can insert in the E120 slots and then follow a procedure to install it on the ST70s. I'm not supposed to have it but I just bought 3x140W (I'm upgrading my 3xE120s) and the supplying dealer let me have this 2.05 software on a chip with written installation instructions. You're welcome to have it - I can mail the chip (or possibly email you the files? - not sure of the file size)

John
    Last edited by jfm; 1st February 2010 at 12:30 AM.

Thanks John.
    I will check later today.

We had a sea trail yesterday and she had a reasonable turn of speed.

Still about a week to finish her off.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

I really like the way the Winch is placed to allow for the windsheild.

How do you find this works out for you? At first glance I thought it may be too tight, but after thinking about it, I couldn't see any reason why it would not work fine.

I really like the Bamboo also, great choice.

I was a little surprised to see such small chairs at the inside Helm, but I guess if they were bigger they would really block the pathway.

What kind of speeds are you seeing?

Thanks for the updates, very enjoyable.

Paul and Leslie, she is a beautiful boat. You are going to ber SOOO happy when all the tests and lists are done and you are really living and sailing on her! Paul, you have to change your tag--she's not "coming soon" she's here!

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
    I really like the way the Winch is placed to allow for the windsheild.
    How do you find this works out for you?
    It is tight for the manual winch and we had to have a small one but no real problem in use - they are of course electric.

St Francis were not happy with the sheet angles and so the roller to thge winch in now being re-made to get it exactly right - the frame is currently being laser cut. Even significant changes like this are redesigned in the day on the CAD package and then sent of to be laser cut.

I was a little surprised to see such small chairs at the inside Helm, but I guess if they were bigger they would really block the pathway.
    Its really a question of keeping them out of the way or using as dining chairs on the saloon table - size had to be limited.

What kind of speeds are you seeing?
    Only been out the once this time and we were seeing about 50 to 60% of wind speed in wind of 13 to 18 knots. This is with the rib, 80% full fuel and water and 6 people on board. The mainsail reefing has beded in and is looking good. We now also have the screecher up.

The boat should be finished for Cape Town trip in 8 days from now.

We have been messed about on time so much that we have still not been able to arrange the experienced sailing advisor so that awaits for Cape Town.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

Paul,

1. What is the grey button panel for, immedaitely above the right hand E120?

2. And the black panel (with LCD display) immediately above that?

3. And is the black instrument to the right of the 3x ST70 a Lewmar chain counter?

Questions, questions, sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    1. What is the grey button panel for, immedaitely above the right hand E120?
    Its the control for the forward facing sonar taht offers a number of ways of forward and side scanning.

2. And the black panel (with LCD display) immediately above that?
    Its the control of the low light and heat detection cameras mounted on the top of the mast. It allows camera options plus movement control.

3. And is the black instrument to the right of the 3x ST70 a Lewmar chain counter?
    Correct, its the Lewmar chain counter.

I like questions so ask as many as you wish.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

Hi Paul

What solar regulator did you use for the solar panels?

Cheers
    Paul