Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solaris Sunstar 32

Default Solaris Sunstar 32

Here is my story about how I got my Solaris 32 and also details of her and her equipment, I will update news as I go along.

If you have a Sunstar 32, I would love to hear about it and what changes you have made, why and how?

THE STORY
    OK, I found her in Cornwall about 90 miles from my home, over the past 3/4 years whenever going down there for a look at boats, sailing, surfing whatever, through a gap whilst driving, I used to see this cat on the end of the boatyard, always curious to know what it was but never ventured.
    About 8 weeks ago my nephew was getting his wings at RNAS Culdrose, so about 8 of us (all family) rented a cottage nearby for 3 nights to have a bit of a celebration party.
    Saturday morning after a few beers the night before (as you do) the 7 other soft heads suffering from hangovers were slowly getting up, so I decided to go boat hunting (as you do), went straight to this yard, realised it was a slightly modified (different window configuration) to a normal Sunstar, but I knew it was one.
    The boatyard owner told me the owner owed some months rent but had been approached before but would not accept less than 65K, way out of my league, I left my business card just in case .
    2 weeks ago Sunday I get a call from the guy saying he would take **K, still far to much for me.
    That night I was having dinner with my dear old Dad and told him the story, he said how much I told him, (I have never asked my Dad or even Mum when she was alive for money even when in dire shit as my life is my own responsibility to control) anyway he said OK I will give you **K if you can get the rest and the boat is sound, I almost fell over.
    The next Monday I went to view, the poor guy has some personal problems through no fault of his own – recession - hence the boat sale at some very favourable terms.

The boat, equipment etc:
    1999 Sunstar 32
    Twin Lombardini 17HP Lightweights with shaft drives, Brunton Autoprops and rope cutters, one has done 119 hours the other 123 hours.
    Brand new mast, boom, standing and running rigging, brand new mainsail with stack pack, lazy jacks and batcars, brand new genoa and cruising shute with snuffer.
    Whispergen 3.5KW generator, 22 hours use.
    Twin hot water tanks.
    Dual 12v and 240V control panel
    Holding tank.
    Battery charger and inverter.
    2 Anderson winches, 1 by helm station electric.
    All running rigging leads to cockpit.
    Raymarine C80, Radar, Wind, Speed and Depth.
    Radar Arch
    Icom 601 VHF with separate remote mike at helm.
    NASA fluxgate compass
    Autohelm
    Lofrans electric windlass
    6 Batteries
    Fire extinguishers
    Stereo.
    Hulls epoxied from new.
    Etc etc and tons of spare parts, 3 reels of rope and on and on and on.

Bad points and money needed:
    He had started to strip out the inside, luckily not too much so maybe 50 hours of work to finish off, all cushions and linings are fine though.
    New floor coverings.
    Needs new saloon door and surround, new mainsheet as the other has been stolen, Antifouling
    Bow roller on crossbeam
    Bow bridle attachments
    Rubbing strake
    New lazy jacks.
    Get dark navy blue vinyl band around side of cabin around windows as per the other Sunstar’s so the windows blend in and makes her look more streamlined.
    Oh! and a pressure was to clean off the shit accumulated over 3.5 years.

WHY all the above etc.
    Original guy who had it from 1999 to 2004 only sailed it for 2 years before failing health at the age of 89, died in 2004 when current owner bought it.
    It had an Aerorig, which in 2006 broke in half whilst sailing off Fowey.
    Insurance replaced the mast etc and sails, (survey done then for insurance purposes) went out at the end of 2006 to test the new mast and sails and then laid her up to convert to more suitability as a live aboard, the rest is as I started.
    Can't believe my luck in all directions, ideal for coastal, and channel hopping.

Hope to get all the little jobs done and in the water end of April begging of May and sail her back home.

So there you have it.

Cheers
    Ian

Attached Thumbnails

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Default Re: Solaris Sunstar 32

Thanks Ian for posting that here. Once again, she looks and sounds terrific! Here's to hoping that it will attract some new members who have (or are looking for) Sunstar 32.

Cheers!

Brad

I do know of another one not far from me in Brixham, Devon, I will drop my card and see if I can get hold of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
    I do know of another one not far from me in Brixham, Devon, I will drop my card and see if I can get hold of them.
    YES PLEASE !
    Your cards do miracles !
    1979 Catalac 8M - 8-84 - Samimiy
    http://facebook.com/groups/catalac/

Ian,

Don't know if you read the YBM forums but found this regarding the Brunton Autoprops: http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232343 which might be of interest to you.
    Roger

------------------
    I look to the future, because that's where I am going to spend the rest of my life - George Burns

Quote Originally Posted by djeeke View Post
    YES PLEASE !
    Your cards do miracles !
    Matey, I will do what I can, I am going tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by multihullsailor6 View Post
    Ian,

Don't know if you read the YBM forums but found this regarding the Brunton Autoprops: http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232343 which might be of interest to you.
    Thanks Roger, very interesting reading, basically I need to look after these little chaps with checking the anodes and keeping them maintained well as most people seem to praise them very highly

How come you have to replace the lazy jacks? Didn't you list them as new along with the standing and running rigging and stack pack?

Quote Originally Posted by ka8uet View Post
    How come you have to replace the lazy jacks? Didn't you list them as new along with the standing and running rigging and stack pack?
    Unfortunately they were stolen the same time as the mainsheet, as the stack pack and main were stored away safely, the lazy jacks were left wrapped around the boom :

You need to be working on the boat...

Buy some active Jacks !!

Tell them they can turn lazy once all the work is done

:

Quote Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
    Here is my story about how I got my Solaris 32 .....
    Ian bought a Cat!!!

Wow, has this been a long time coming or what?

I've been away from forums too long, and will correct this immediately.

Congratulations my friend and all the luck in the world with her.

You need to be working on the boat...
    Has Didier bought a Cat as well???

Quote Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
    Has Didier bought a Cat as well???
    Rumours or reality

more in this thread
    :
    Last edited by djeeke; 15th April 2010 at 12:06 AM. Reason: added thread link

Hi Ian

welcome to the club I too own a solaris sunstar 32 built in 97 I've had her for about ten years now, I keep her in Plymouth you won't be disappointed they sail like demons.

Regards

John

Hi John
    Thanks, glad to hear of another owner nearby, I have sent you an email.
    Cheers
    Ian

A quick update and some more pictures.

Things were all going along swimmingly, everything Ok, looking good no leaks, only problem we thought was a sticking starter motor on the Stb engine, so we took it off, it was OK, just a heavy clunk everytime we tried to start it, keeping a long story short, one of the valves had decided to drop into the cylinder and break in 3, so a new valve needed along with a new seat, the piston and everything else is OK, but all we be checked.
    Luckily the engine was not running or under load or it could have been very serious.
    Slightly confused as to why this happened. We ran both engines for about 30 seconds (as she was out of the water) each 10 weeks ago to prove they started and sounded good.
    All we can assume that either this was a faulty made valve from day 1 or because they had not been used for 5 years properly, after starting it got stuck to the seat and then dropped at the wrong time .
    Any ideas from anyone???

Got my new bow roller, new cockpit floor down, new vinyls and slotted on the main with it's nice roach and not a mark on it

Just got to get the new doors on

Hopefully all will be sorted in the next week and the plan is - weather permitting - sail her back last weekend of June.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ian,

The cockpit flooring looks stunning! What a difference.

That "bow roller" thingy is not what I would call a roller. What are you using it for again?

John
    "The floggings will continue until morale improves"!

Hey Ian !

Very lucky with that engine, now to your question, why did the valve drop ?
    First, did the valve break or did it drop completely inside the engine before breaking in three peaces ?
    As I read, no damage to piston and cylinder walls ?
    Very lucky if you ask me ! Good for you !!!!

She looks great matey !!!
    I'm still happy for you, how's your dad doing ?

Dids
    :

Quote Originally Posted by jkd View Post
    Ian,

The cockpit flooring looks stunning! What a difference.

That "bow roller" thingy is not what I would call a roller. What are you using it for again?

John
    Thanks John, let me explain about the "Bow Roller Thingy".

My anchor goes thought the centre walkway on it's own roller about 18" back from the seagul catcher, but I did not have a bow roller anywhere else, and as I have to pick up a mooring (with chain) I therefore needed a roller on the forebeam, as it would have to be positioned off centre (as there is not enough room to bring it through the 'A' frame as it could damage the furler etc) I had it made with 2 sturdy uprights to guide the chain away from areas that could be damaged.
    Once the chain is looped over the sansom post it will be bridled from each bow cleat to take off strain on the chain that is on the roller.
    I hope this makes sense.

Hey Ian !

Very lucky with that engine, now to your question, why did the valve drop ?
    First, did the valve break or did it drop completely inside the engine before breaking in three peaces ?
    As I read, no damage to piston and cylinder walls ?
    Very lucky if you ask me ! Good for you !!!!

She looks great matey !!!
    I'm still happy for you, how's your dad doing ?

Dids
    :
    Hi Dids
    Yes damn lucky, there were 2 pieces in the cylinder and part of the stem still in the guide.

No damage to the walls a very small dip in the piston top the size of 2 pin heads so nothing really.
    Still a bit to go i.e. the door, mug/can holder by the helm seat , and fit the helm seat and pedestal.

Thanks for asking about my Dad, he is not too bad, he went out on his 3 wheeled electric buggy/cart thing to see a friend about 4 miles away, caused chaos, fell off it and knocked down some barriers stopping people walking on a newly laid tarmac pavement :, I am expecting a phone call from the Police soon to get him released from a prison cell for dangerous driving :, Christ I hope I don't get as bad as him

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast