Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Thread: Solaris Sunstar 32

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    393

    Default Re: Solaris Sunstar 32

    OK I think I can guess what happened...

    Sounds like the valve seazed in the guide and was hit by the piston every time you tried to start the engine... (the clunk every time you tried to start)
    After several of these hits the valve decided it had enough and broke to drop inside the cylinder...

    As we know engine had not been run a very very long time, this is a typical lubrication issue... Upon (correct) rebuild of engines all these parts are lubricated at installation as takes a few turns of the oil pump before normal lubrification functions...

    But as I said, you were extrelemy lucky, I've seen broke valves destroying pistons and cylinders...

    Hey, I thought you wanted to go the same way your dad did, weren't you once thinking electric power as well ?

    But good thing he's doing fine overall considering the situation!

    :
    1979 Catalac 8M - 8-84 - Samimiy
    http://facebook.com/groups/catalac/

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    2,793

    Default Re: Solaris Sunstar 32

    Quote Originally Posted by djeeke View Post
    OK I think I can guess what happened...

    Sounds like the valve seazed in the guide and was hit by the piston every time you tried to start the engine... (the clunk every time you tried to start)
    After several of these hits the valve decided it had enough and broke to drop inside the cylinder...

    As we know engine had not been run a very very long time, this is a typical lubrication issue... Upon (correct) rebuild of engines all these parts are lubricated at installation as takes a few turns of the oil pump before normal lubrification functions...

    But as I said, you were extrelemy lucky, I've seen broke valves destroying pistons and cylinders...

    Hey, I thought you wanted to go the same way your dad did, weren't you once thinking electric power as well ?

    But good thing he's doing fine overall considering the situation!

    :
    That is a great explanation, thanks, it all makes sense, the other engine runs fine so by no will have loads of oil all around it.
    I will speak with the engineers to make sure all is checked out and well lubricated before re-installation.

    yes I was thinking of electric power, but a greater range than 15 miles

    yeah he is doing OK but getting very bored and frustrated, rela shame

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    S.E. Florida
    Posts
    1,211

    Default Re: Solaris Sunstar 32

    Quote Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
    Thanks for asking about my Dad, he is not too bad, he went out on his 3 wheeled electric buggy/cart thing to see a friend about 4 miles away, caused chaos, fell off it and knocked down some barriers stopping people walking on a newly laid tarmac pavement :, I am expecting a phone call from the Police soon to get him released from a prison cell for dangerous driving :, Christ I hope I don't get as bad as him
    God bless him, I hope we all live long enough to cause our children as much sorrow and worry as they caused us! (It's only fair damn it!)

    You need to stitch up a leather jacket with "Hells Angels" or a skull and cross bones on the back so he can look the part on his "scooter".:

    John
    "The floggings will continue until morale improves"!

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.
    Posts
    675

    Default Re: Solaris Sunstar 32

    Ian, she looks terrific. I too love the cockpit sole and the (custom?) anchor fitting is also a beautiful piece. Good on ya, mate!

    Brad

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    2,793

    Default Re: Solaris Sunstar 32

    Quote Originally Posted by jkd View Post
    God bless him, I hope we all live long enough to cause our children as much sorrow and worry as they caused us! (It's only fair damn it!)

    You need to stitch up a leather jacket with "Hells Angels" or a skull and cross bones on the back so he can look the part on his "scooter".:

    John
    What do you mean live long enough :, my poor kids 25 and 22 years respectively already steer well clear of me to save them any embarrassment, grief and sorrow

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    S.E. Florida
    Posts
    1,211

    Default Re: Solaris Sunstar 32

    Quote Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
    Thanks John, let me explain about the "Bow Roller Thingy".

    My anchor goes thought the centre walkway on it's own roller about 18" back from the seagul catcher, but I did not have a bow roller anywhere else, and as I have to pick up a mooring (with chain) I therefore needed a roller on the forebeam, as it would have to be positioned off centre (as there is not enough room to bring it through the 'A' frame as it could damage the furler etc) I had it made with 2 sturdy uprights to guide the chain away from areas that could be damaged.
    Once the chain is looped over the sansom post it will be bridled from each bow cleat to take off strain on the chain that is on the roller.
    I hope this makes sense.
    Perfectly, you are using it to scrape barnacles and sea grapes off your chain onto your deck. Brilliant! Should work well!

    John
    "The floggings will continue until morale improves"!

  7. #27

    Default Re: Solaris Sunstar 32

    Hi IreAney,

    Nice project you have there.

    I'm looking for a small cat for coastal UK sailing. Solent, south coast and possible channel crossing.

    Have been considering a PDQ 32 and now looking at the Sunstar 32.

    Did you find the Sunstar in Devon?

    Not an experienced sailor but these look ideal for getting out and cruising along the coast or day tripping. Should be easy enough to single hand but comfortable enough for a small group.

    If you know of a Sunstar for sale let me know.

    I would be interested in going to have a look at one.

    It's off to the boat show tomorrow to see what I can find??

    Scott

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    2,793

    Default Re: Solaris Sunstar 32

    Hi Scott

    Sent you a PM.

    Cheers
    Ian

    Quote Originally Posted by Otter View Post
    Hi IreAney,

    Nice project you have there.

    I'm looking for a small cat for coastal UK sailing. Solent, south coast and possible channel crossing.

    Have been considering a PDQ 32 and now looking at the Sunstar 32.

    Did you find the Sunstar in Devon?

    Not an experienced sailor but these look ideal for getting out and cruising along the coast or day tripping. Should be easy enough to single hand but comfortable enough for a small group.

    If you know of a Sunstar for sale let me know.

    I would be interested in going to have a look at one.

    It's off to the boat show tomorrow to see what I can find??

    Scott

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.
    Posts
    675

    Default Re: Solaris Sunstar 32

    Ian, I just noticed the great looking blue vinyl panels you had made for the topsides/coachouse on your boat - at least I assume they are vinyl. I am considering doing the same thing on my Sunstream 40 and wondered:

    1. Whether you made templates and then had them cut/installed.
    2. What the approximate cost was, including installation, if professionally done.

    Currently I have faded, peeling blue paint in the same areas which I suspect was applied by the original owner. Judging from the condition of the paint I suspect it was enamel, or (at best) a one part polyurethane. In order to repaint with two part polyurethane and ensure adherence, I will need to completely remove the existing paint - a tedious job and one that will likely result in some damage to the surrounding gelcoat.

    It srikes me that lightly sanding the area and then overlapping with vinyl would be a far better way to go. My experience with vinyl cove stripes/names has been very positive in terms of durability, so it seems to make a great deal of sense. Your imput/thoughts/experience to date would be greatly appreciated.

    Cheers!

    Brad

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    2,793

    Default Re: Solaris Sunstar 32

    Hi Brad
    When I bought Babiba she was all white and looked a bit bulbous/blobby as she did not have the usual dark blue stripes as the others do.

    I was considering masking the areas and painting, but decided to get a local signwriting company that use vinyls to cover vans etc for companies corporate image so that the lines would be nice and straight etc, plus it would be quicker and look better.

    There were no templates, I met them at the boat, told them what I wanted and where.

    The quoted cost was 340.00 but a deal was done

    It took 2 guys 1 whole day and they did a great job.

    The only problem (which won't affect me in the UK) is that if in very hot climates for long periods you would need to be careful not to tread on a sloping surface as the heat can soften the vinyl and therefore treading on a sloping surface may crease it.

    But I expect that you may have different vinyl's to take care of this in hot climates.

    I hope this answers your questions.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.
    Posts
    675

    Default Re: Solaris Sunstar 32

    Thanks Ian - much appreciated. Frankly, that seems like a super price even before your deal was negotiated (and a great source). I will definitely look into that next spring.

    Brad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •