TYRNTLZRDKING Guest

Default St Francis recall

St Francis Recall

Boats built during 2009

No ZAXGF50011_ _
    No ZAXGF50012_ _
    No ZAXGF50013_ _
    No ZAXGF50015_ _

While striving towards our policy of continues product development, we regret the above recall. Unfortunately we used the latest Mafuta to bond our two halves together. This new all green adhesive apparently softens in the hot humid atmosphere of the tropics.

The centre joint down the middle has been observed to part. However, due to the front cross beam and the aft swim platform, you are in little danger in coming completely apart. But until you reach one of our appointed repair facilities, best take the following precautions.

Take a strong line, Genneka sheet will do and loop it twice around the outer cleats, e.g. stern aft port to stern aft starboard. You don't have to pull it tight at this stage, rather get real tension by slipping your boat hook between the four lines and start winding it up. This is a Spanish windless and will give good tension.

The same procedure should be applied to the front cleats.

Please email us your position and we will advise you of your nearest repair facility.

Kind regards,

Duncan Lethbridge
    St Francis Marine

Default Re: St Francis recall

A "Spanish windlass" to hold the hulls together????

Oh man, I wonder who found out the hard way that their new (700k +)boat was coming apart?

John
    "The floggings will continue until morale improves"!

Is this for real?? Sounds a bit wierd as the two hulls and bridgedeck are one unit and the deck and saloon another. The joint is a hull deck joint therefore the note does not sound real. If it is a joke it is not very funny. Where did this note come from?

TYRNTLZRDKING Guest

No joke. I found it on Duncans profile page.
    He posted it on April 1st.

http://www.multihulls4us.com/forums/member.php?u=1339

He posted in on what date!!!!! April 1st!!! I think you have been caught by an April fools joke

TYRNTLZRDKING Guest

I dont know why Duncan would joke about somthing like that?

Could be that it is not the Duncan of St Francis, but his email and IP address support the fact that it is Duncan Lethbridge.

He was here on the forum today and read this post but chose not to reply or comment.

I think I know who posted this information, it was..................
    .................................................. ....................

wait for it

wait for it, don't be so impatient

GIDDERS

Anyone heard from Paul or the folks on Banana about this?

I'm assuming this is a bridge deck splice of some sort? The salon top would be solid?

John

TYRNTLZRDKING Guest

I emailed Duncan at St. Francis yesterday to see if it was he who wrote the letter. No reply yet.

TYRNTLZRDKING Guest

I hope all boat owners affected by this recall have been notified of the problem!

Forum member Duncan logged on and again read this thread today.

I think somebody is taking the P$$s out of you. I will call Duncan tomorrow and ask him about it. I did a google search on Mafuta and there is no such bonding paste/adhesive.

Cheers
    Paul

TYRNTLZRDKING Guest

Please do call him. I need all my P$$s.
    I emailed him with no responce.
    Let me know what you find.

Tyrntlzrdking is abviously aware of Mafuta.
    It's very old technology, just re-engineered by some clever chemists from Holland. Mafuta is the newest organic technology adhesive, based on poly-excreted ordure and de-ureficated bovine ester. Used primarily by the Dutch, it has obviously been brought out here recently for intial trials. The problem with all of these advanced boatbuilding polymers and production methods from Europe is that they have poor thermal tenacity. You get all sorts of nasty things once you put Mafuta under duress, although not as bad as the older formulations of poly-excreted ordure which were commonly used until fairly recently. It seems that the proponents of poly-excreted ordure may even be swinging to the newer Mafuta technology, if you ask me... What happens with the poly-excreted ordure technology, and to a lesser dgree with Mafuta, is that when you heat it up, it lipolyses and depolymerises, so basically the stuff goes gooey, and starts sweating up, eventually forming little beads of moisture. Once this happens, the integrity breaks down, and it all collapses in a heap.
    The other thing that happens, epecially in visible applications, is that with a comparatively small increase in static load, the de-urefication is accelerated, and the product, without the urea component to stabilise it, or give it "backbone" contracts, which causes catastrophic failure.
    Having seen poly-excreted ordure technology first-hand, I can simplify the processes whereby the poly-excreted ordure breaks down in a few words: Put some heat on bulls#!t and it all falls apart, or alternatively, take the p!$$ out of it, and it goes away!

(Mafuta is the Zulu/Xhosa word for grease/fat/tallow, FWIW!)
    Last edited by Adamastor; 4th May 2010 at 11:46 PM.

This thread smells like MAFUTA!

Quote Originally Posted by Adamastor View Post
    Tyrntlzrdking is abviously aware of Mafuta.
    It's...... based on poly-excreted ordure and de-ureficated bovine ester. Used primarily by the Dutch

Ok, you got me. After some thought, I could not figure out how running lines from cleat to cleat on a single layup deck would help sufficiently to prevent stress in a bridge deck layup. Even went so far as looking at the old photo's of the build to see if I could see a splice in the bridge deck area that would be effected.
    Color me gullible!:

John

This was submitted on the 1st April. It is a great disappointment to see that it was only aired by this knowledgeable forum on the 2nd May.

Yes, our boats coming apart is a serious problem, so much so that I have just sought the advise of “Amakhosi Khaya’s” leading sangoma, being the head of her profession and expensive she would not assist me before paying the exorbitant amount of $600 000 000 Zim dollars up front, she then proceeded to smoke her pipe, go into a trance, suffer an epileptic fit and rattle her bones before announcing that she could cure this mafuta curse, but only after paying another $300 000 000 Zim dollars for each boat troubled, would she reveal the answer.

This was duly paid and I am pleased to announce that to avoid the Mafuta breaking down and the hulls coming apart.

You must at the next opportunity; steer directly towards the moon and shout into the wind to the top of your voice “Hamba Mafuta” three times and then complete three360˚ circles.

The Mafuta’s curse will now be lifted with no sign of the hulls coming apart.

I have always been amazed how gullible nice people are; hence our forum must have a lot of good souls.

(This is an April fool’s joke)

TYRNTLZRDKING Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    (This is an April fool’s joke)
    I knew it the whole time. :
    You Duncan are a wild man.

I blame it all on Jeff.:

Here is an authority figure of the highest standing (former boy scout, moderator and god of the Internet) standing pat and pushing forward these theories to this poor unenlightened soul in search of wisdom.

If it had been Ian, I would have smelled old seafood right away. Well maybe not right away, but sooner.

What can I say, I'm the guy that spends all his time looking at and buying shiny lures that don't catch fish like the photo on the package.

John