Thread: BSI Moonlight Escape Hatches

Default BSI Moonlight Escape Hatches

Anyone out three have experience with the new BSI ISO approved escape hatches to fit into the aft cabin hulls? Leaking? I am looking at installing on a Voyage 450 for ventilation with screens at rest, but with a view to escape in case of an incident. Chuck

Default Re: BSI Moonlight Escape Hatches

Chuck -
    I don't have any experience with those hatches but after reading that thread about "multihull disaster story in med" I'm not sure I would want to use them for getting out.
    Sail Fast Live Slow

I think you need to figure out how your boat would float inverted. The photo's I've seen show most floating stern down which would not be best for aft escape hatches.
    More ventilation is always a good thing however.

John
    "The floggings will continue until morale improves"!

Currently concentrating on http://earthnurture.com .

Yeah, I think for a deck opening sea escape that looks good. My hatches are for escape from oxygen fires in the aft cabins so as mounted midway between waterline and top of hull line in each aft cabin facing each other midships of the bunks. Each is a 20X20 ISO insurance approved escape hatch.

These let in light as well as draft when at rest. Not so claustrophobic. Both hulls are filed with oxygen generators for my life support system. Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.C View Post
    Both hulls are filed with oxygen generators for my life support system. Chuck
    Huh? Why don't you tell us about that? Never heard of that before.

The Baier hatch has one major drawback if used as an escape hatch: the cover appears to be loose, not hinged. The chances of losing the cover when opening it in an emergency would be high, leaving you with a 2' square opening that you couldn't seal up again easily.

My reality is I have terminal Pulmonary Fibrosis so I am dependent on OX 24/7. My OX is supplied by electronic concentrators which are powered by a suped up electrical system on the boat. No open flame allowed so the stove is GE electric as well. Still, OX is a good catalyst so just in case we have the escape hatches positioned to get out if we get a flash fire. Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Tabs View Post
    The Baier hatch has one major drawback if used as an escape hatch: the cover appears to be loose, not hinged. The chances of losing the cover when opening it in an emergency would be high, leaving you with a 2' square opening that you couldn't seal up again easily.
    They come in both hinged and loose varieties. If I posted the loose variety, my mistake!

My reality is I have terminal Pulmonary Fibrosis so I am dependent on OX 24/7. My OX is supplied by electronic concentrators which are powered by a suped up electrical system on the boat. No open flame allowed so the stove is GE electric as well. Still, OX is a good catalyst so just in case we have the escape hatches positioned to get out if we get a flash fire. Chuck
    Oh, sorry! I though it was something new in the way of preparing for being upside down. Please make sure your battery compartment (s) are well ventilated, as conventional batteries produce hydrogen gas, which of course is highly flammable.

All of our batteries, $56,000 of them, are all Marine Li-On! no gas. Chuck

All of our batteries, $56,000 of them, are all Marine Li-On! no gas. Chuck
    Wow! 56 grand for batteries.

Cheap insurance against suffocation. Not to mention going BOOOOMMM!

...and great picture windows by the bunks! Chuck

Congratulations on choosing to live an active life rather than surrendering to your disability. You are an example of a fine tradition among sea farers.

Thanks mate! I have been fortunate to live a long international life of adventure, exploration and collecting all the Tee shirts. A pilot for 54 years. Great fortune with investments. I should be the guy to stand up! At this point the choice is push through to the end and see if I can be the first to survive this thing. Soon, we will travel to Singapore to be the first ever with PF to have a complete gene map built as we think we now know where this thing breaks down, and maybe how. Can a fix be far behind and save another 45,000 lives a year? A good bottle of high grade bourbon, a great piece of music, a good boat and an interesting women still keep my fire stoked..but with a bit of pharmaceutical support!. Chuck

Just watched a dear young (40s) friend die of this. He left a young son, and I don't know if he had been tested to see if he inherited it or not. He was concieved before Bill was diagnosed. Bill said that had he known he had inherited it, he would not have had children. It's appearantly gender linked? Bill wasn't worried about his daughters from his first marriage. Anyway, good on you for keeping on. Bill did the same.

Unhappy Re: BSI Moonlight Escape Hatches

Yes, being genetic it can be inherited but also comes from many other causes. There may be multiple contributors also environmental. Pilots get this often as the air in the plane comes from engine bleed air thus contains tiny petro particulate. The challenge is there is no cure short of the grim reaper. Chuck

I know that Bill was told that both his own and his father's were genetic. His dad had been in service, but I don't know which branch or if he flew. Bill was in the military, no air time. I think he mostly flew a desk. He wasn't in for long. Between wars!