Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Best Rig Multiple Anchors On Bridle

Default How To Best Rig Multiple Anchors On Bridle

I am searching for the best way to rig three anchors...one on chain and two on nylon...to a bridle. This is for an anchoring system, not a permanent mooring.

Or, assuming I am going to lay them out in a star pattern, I should eliminate the bridle and set one anchor off the stbd bow, one off the port, and the main all chain off the center roller?

Ideas and thoughts? Thanks for any help.

Default Re: How To Best Rig Multiple Anchors On Bridle

You could try one of these:

http://www.colligomarine.com/Hurrica...hor-System.htm

I would avoid running an anchor off the roller without a bridle.

Mike

I haven't the foggiest idea of the best way to do it, but I've got to ask: how often do you intend to use that system? Just for named storms or as a general practice?
    I want to come watch you deploy your ground tackle that way.
    Sail Fast Live Slow

I want to use this for named storms. I have looked at the bridle plates but they seem to require attaching set lengths of chain to the anchor and then rode from the boat to the plate. That does not seem to be very flexible, unless I am totally misunderstanding the set up.

Perhaps my question should be "What's the best anchor set-up for a cruising cat in preparation for a named storm?" I have weathered 2 hurricanes in a 40 foot mono, so I am not an idiot. But rigging three anchors off a bridle (without using a nifty $300 bridle plate) has me perplexed.

So what do you folks do? Thanks again.

I understand. Unfortunately I'm really no help. Our boat is very aerodynamic so we don't use a bridle. We rode out one named storm ( more of a near miss) with two rodes deployed from one anchor roller and a third set from our second roller. Lots of chafe gear, and everything was fine. Usually not too many 360's to worry about in a tropical storm unless you get nailed by tornadoes.
    Sail Fast Live Slow

This is what I've used. I apologize for the image size
    as I can't seem to get it smaller.

From Charles Kanter's website... http://www.sailcopress.com/Anchoring.htm

First, I wouldn't secure an anchor to each bow. Your boat could be jerked by one and then the other. Or the rodes could saw on each other.

The chain rode complicates matters. I secured (successfully) for a hurricane once by stretching out in 3 directions 3 combination rodes each tied to a central ring which was tied to my bridle.Guess one rode could be all chain, but it should terminate at central point.

Now, if you had 3 rodes all rope at boat end--or tails-- you could make use of a knot I learned of from Multihull Mag (more than 15 years ago) for using 2 anchor rodes and also becoming the 2 legs of your bridle. Basically you tie the 2 (or 3 should do as well) rodes together at one point, and use the tails as legs of the bridle.

Short of making a drawing and scanning, I will try to describe.

Besides your 2 (or 3) rodes, you also need a 3 or 4 ft length of larger line, cross section area comparable to the sum of that of your rodes.

Holding all lines together as one, make a loop as you would as first step of a bowline.

Now instead of using the anchor rode as in the next step of tieing a bowline, use the short length, although it does best for the "rabbit" to go the opposite direction around the "tree" before he jumps back in the "hole", to look like a backwards bowline.

Before you snug it up, you must also have the other end of the larger line go around behind the other 2 legs and then go back thru the loop in the opposite direction. Now snug it up.

I don't know if you can follow this, but it does work quite well.

So the rabbit goes around the tree first in one direction, then in the other?

Do you recall the name of the knot?

I have been studying this. What I can't figure out is to what is the bridle attached? To a SS ring that surrounds the three rodes? To a ring plus the Kellet?

I know I am being thick about this.

Although I carried three anchors capable of working well in a storm, I never deployed more than two at a time, holding one in reserve.

I always put out the biggest, meanest storm anchor on 200 feet of chain. That was my 70 lb Beugel. Then I took the second anchor and used it in a Hammerlock configuration. That means I dropped it off the bow on short scope, which kept the boat from swinging too much, and if the primary anchor failed, the second anchor was already in the water ready to go. All I had to do was let out scope. I kept a third anchor in reserve just in case the other two failed, although it would be hard to deploy a third anchor during a major storm.

Having three anchors in the water all around your yacht works ok if you are the only yacht in the anchorage. But if there are other yachts, you significantly increase the chance that when other yachts drag anchor, their anchor will snag one of your anchor rodes, and then the two boats will hit each other other as the poorly anchored boat slides down your anchor line. If he doesn't actually hit you, his dragging anchor will dislodge your snagged anchor or cut that anchor rode.

That's why I put my mega anchor down for the storm and use the second anchor for a hammerlock.

I have a question on this subject.

I have a friend that faced a Huricane at Simpson Bay, St. Martin.
    Technicaly that place is supposed to be a hurricane hole but things got worst than expected.
    The biggest problem was that his anchoring system (Monohull, 2 anchors) hold his boat well but the anchors of the boats around didn't, those boats dragged theis anchors and end up picking his anchor lines and dragging him together.
    He tried to get released from that but you can imagine what is diving to try to release your lines under such weather (what he did).
    Finally he gave up, cut his lines and managed to make a "controlled side landing" on the bushing at a close shore.

All that said beacuse I'm wondering if you get in a situation like this a 3 anchor system can make things worst . . .

Anybody with experience on this?

Ricardo
    PS: He recorded some moments : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPQY8euFnbc

Quote Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
    This is what I've used. I apologize for the image size
    as I can't seem to get it smaller.
    This any better!

Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

Quote Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
    I have a question on this subject... . . .

Yes, I've been through many. Hurricanes are the reason I only sail 11 months of the year here in sunny Florida. I sailed through one once (necessity) and didn't like it(Hurricane Katrina).

Hurricane Boat protection can best be described.....

1.) Haul out in advance of the storm to a place that has tie downs bedded in concrete.

2.) Spider into Mangroves (catamarans)

3.) run her up a creek or canal and spider tie the boat.

(notice a common thread here?...... anchoring the boat to LAND)

4.) minimum three anchors. Preferably upwind of all other boats. This method from Charles Kanter's website. It works well, and I already posted the photo in my last post (thanks Mark). I've done it with 3 Fortress anchors. They'll break before they'll release in sand.

Look at the hurricane after photos on my website to observe what happens when you don't pay attention to chaffing gear.

5.) Chaffing gear.
    old fire hose ... cut up pair of blue jeans..... anything that protects the anchor rodes and allow water and air circulation, or watch your lines melt. As a side note, after the carnage of the 2004 hurricane season, insurance companies noted that double braided anchor rodes had better performance than the tried and true 3 strand. Books will be rewritten.

Chain rodes...use at your own risk if the boat's not equipped with hause pipes. Chain links make a terrific saw at 100+ knots and goes through fiberglass like butter.

6.) boat positioning. If you have to anchor the boat, always choose the smallest fetch you can find from the strongest predicted wind direction.

The post mortem on boat damage during the devastating 2004 hurricane season here in Florida (4 major storms), focused on inadequate anchor rodes or rode protection as a significant factor. Admittedly, the report did not comment on advance boat prep in reducing windage.

During hurricane winds the lines failed due to three types of chafing. First, the obvious where rubbing violently on some part of the boat eventually destroyed the rope.

2nd, heat fatigue where the repeated stretching of the polyester lines caused excessive heat build up and literally melted the lines from the inside out.

Lastly (and this is somewhat speculative) is that salt crystals embedded in the rope twist became miniature saws that contributed to the line's failure under extreme stressing.

The report also commented that our tried and true 3 strand nylon lines parted much more frequently than double braid which offered increased resistance to chafing.

They also observed that boats with all chain rodes had them break out of their fair leads and acted like steel saws on plastic boats.

The report went on to say that all boats caught directly in the path of the hurricanes were damaged to some extent, regardless of preparation.

Again, the best protection is to get out of the area, get hauled out, or find the mangroves (or a canal) and spider the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by ka8uet View Post
    So the rabbit goes around the tree first in one direction, then in the other?
    No, I'd guess you'd say there are 2 trees, one growing up, and one growing down. You can probably go either way around the tree, but one way looks better.

Quote Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
    I have a question on this subject.

I have a friend that faced a Huricane at Simpson Bay, St. Martin.
    Technicaly that place is supposed to be a hurricane hole but things got worst than expected.
    The biggest problem was that his anchoring system (Monohull, 2 anchors) hold his boat well but the anchors of the boats around didn't, those boats dragged theis anchors and end up picking his anchor lines and dragging him together.
    He tried to get released from that but you can imagine what is diving to try to release your lines under such weather (what he did).
    Finally he gave up, cut his lines and managed to make a "controlled side landing" on the bushing at a close shore.

All that said beacuse I'm wondering if you get in a situation like this a 3 anchor system can make things worst . . .

Ricardo
    PS: He recorded some moments : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPQY8euFnbc
    Having been in Simpson Bay Lagoon, I would have to say his first mistake was thinking that it was a hurricane hole. There is too much fetch AND too many old, poorly maintained and poorly anchored boats there to hope to ride out anything approaching a hurricane.

Fair Winds,
    Mike

Tropic Cat & Talbot -
    If I remember correctly, wasn't Chuck Kanter's kellet in his diagram something really substantial, like an engine block? Or am I confusing two different situations?
    Sail Fast Live Slow

I believe it was a 5 gallon pail filled with concrete. Whatever is used has to be able to be handled, and transported in a dinghy.

This year, I've discovered a very nice mango grove which has Catalpa's name on it.

There was no name given. Should be named after the fellow who devised it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jncrussell@mac.com View Post
    Do you recall the name of the knot?

With three anchors deployed, the boat will always be lying to two of them.
    The bridle then is really redundant and an unnecessary complication imho.
    I would be happy to keep the rodes separate for separate adjustment.
    I presume this is an arrangement for a storm ,rather than a permanent mooring when a bridle to a swivel might be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast