Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solaris Sunrise 36' - GRP Fixed Cockpit Roof

Default Solaris Sunrise 36' - GRP Fixed Cockpit Roof

At present we have a canvas cockpit cover and we intend to replace it with a GRP roof that can be stood on! Approx size 300 x 230 cm. We would be able to use the existing stainless steel support which is approx midway.

Has any other Solaris catamaran had a similar structure fitted and if so, please could they give us an idea of cost.

We are en route via the Balearics and Sardinia to the Greek Islands and shall be looking at various options on the way.

Thanks

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Default Re: Solaris Sunrise 36' - GRP Fixed Cockpit Roof

Sorry Tidalstreams, can't help you there (although I am thinking of doing the same thing once my current Sunbrella cockpit enclosure bites the dust). Building one yourself may be another option and I am confident that some of the boatbuilders/DIYers on this site could help in that regard.
    Anyone?

Brad

Interesting, I am considering a folding spray hood that would then convert the cockpit into another enclosure with side and aft screens, is this what both of yours have at the moment?

Default Canvas cockpit enclosure

Yes, previous owners really did a great job of providing a complete cockpit enclosure using a mini type frame. The way the zips have been placed means there are many variations as to what which part can be opened or rolled up. There are huge plastic areas for good visibility and these have blackout covers which also give us shade from the sun as well as privacy.

We can sail with the cockpit completely enclosed or we can unzip the sides and back and roll back the top - very versatile! We even had a plastic insert put in the top so we can see the mainsail.

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Hi Ian and sorry for the delay in responding. Yes, I have a dodger with a bimini and removable side and back panels with screens/roll up windows. These are very popular in the northeastern part of North America. I am sure that there are some canvass shops in your area that have made them.

Brad

We have just placed an order with Ionian Composites to have a fixed GRP cockpit roof made for our sunrise 36' in Levkada, Greece. It will have a sliding hatch so we can see our mast. Quoted at half the estimates we were given in Spain! Hope to have it done by the end of the year.

Fantastic! Thanks for the update. We look forward to hearing about how it turns out (and if possible, some pictures).

Brad

Me too

Talking Re: Solaris Sunrise 36' - GRP Fixed Cockpit Roof

Me too , too !
    I didn,t get where I am today by being somewhere else !

Is that something like a tutu? By the way, nice Healey!

Brad

Hi Brad , thank you ,yes shes a beauty , I keep her in the garage most of the time .......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I didn,t get where I am today by being somewhere else !

Matching colour schemes no less - gotta love it!

Brad

Default Fitted - Solaris Sunrise 36' - GRP Fixed Cockpit Roof

As promised, some photos of our new hard top bimini.

The mould has since been adapted to make a bimini for a motor boat!
    Attached Images Attached Images

That will make a wonderful difference tocomfort and convenience.

And just wait till you get some bad weather, or come north again, and you will really see the difference.

I am biased as I have a hard cover over my central cockpit too.

Two things that you may need to consider, from my experience, are;
    1. It becomes very hard to judge wind conditions when the sides are partially down so reefing etc can be left dangerously late.
    2. There is much more windage at the stern when the sides are partially down. This affects handling and the amount of scope you need when anchoring. But it also means you don't yaw about at anchor so you don't need a bridle, just line over the centre to a strong point/cleat.

Overall, lovely, well done!

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

I know I asked you before but looking at that stern shot, are you sure your main sheet doesn't hit the corners of your new fixed roof. The reason I ask, when I built my canvas cockpit enclosure I found I have to take the back half down to give swinging room for my main sheet

Very nice, absolutely ideal for the hot weather, I would certainly go this route if I were down in the Med or Caribe, not sure up here in the UK, but well worth thinking about

Quote Originally Posted by IreAneY View Post
    Very nice, absolutely ideal for the hot weather, I would certainly go this route if I were down in the Med or Caribe, not sure up here in the UK, but well worth thinking about
    Ian, experience on Two Minds suggests it is considerably more of a benefit in the UK.

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Quote Originally Posted by dmmbruce View Post
    Ian, experience on Two Minds suggests it is considerably more of a benefit in the UK.

Mike
    Mike, Hence my last few words , as I remembered your enclosure, still not sure about a folding one or a fixed one, mind you at this stage it doesn't matter as I can't afford either

Quote Originally Posted by IreAneY View Post
    Mike, Hence my last few words , as I remembered your enclosure, still not sure about a folding one or a fixed one, mind you at this stage it doesn't matter as I can't afford either

Having built a folding one I wished I'd built a fixed one either way the extra usable space is great. Can now sit in the cockpit, with a beer or vino, even when it's piddling down.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwow View Post
    I know I asked you before but looking at that stern shot, are you sure your main sheet doesn't hit the corners of your new fixed roof. The reason I ask, when I built my canvas cockpit enclosure I found I have to take the back half down to give swinging room for my main sheet
    We had the roof made in Lefkas and now we are in North Cyprus so can give you an answer regarding the mainsheet - no it does not touch the roof when the boom is moved to the side. We raise the topping lift slightly and loosen the main sheet when we move the boom across and then tighten it when in position so as to avoid any contact with the roof.

Must say we are enjoying the benefits of a much larger and cooler cockpit area

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast