Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solaris Sunrise 36' - GRP Fixed Cockpit Roof

Default Re: Fitted - Solaris Sunrise 36' - GRP Fixed Cockpit Roof

Quote Originally Posted by tidalstreams View Post
    As promised, some photos of our new hard top bimini.

The mould has since been adapted to make a bimini for a motor boat!
    Do u have any more pictures as I might do same on my Sunrise.

Regards Roger Morgan

Default Re: Solaris Sunrise 36' - GRP Fixed Cockpit Roof

I have a Sunrise 36. I was wondering if your guys could make me the same hard top.

Regards

Roger Morgan

The company is called Ionian Composites operated by Les Wood. I think he operates out of one of the marinas in Preveza.

If you contact him, please say you were recommended by Peter on Shania and he will know which model grp roof you require.

http://www.ioniancomposites.com/home.html

Many thanks I will give them a call.
    I helped build Shania with Dave Johnson.
    I note you have not used the original screen?
    Did you still keep the original hoop?
    Is the top suported at the back or does it rely on the stifness of the roof?
    I also have to look at shipping costs back here to SCM in Spain.

Regards Roger Morgan

Hi Roger

What a small world! Yes, we are the third owners of Shania - we bought her in December 2008 in Largs and had her extensively fitted out for live aboard cruising.

With regards to supporting the roof, at the front on each corner there is a support and a central hoop in front of the winch. We kept the middle stainless steel support from the original bimini. At the back over each aft hatch there is a support also. From the helmsman's seat looking up we have an opening hatch on the port side and a fixed window on the starboard side. The roof is very strong and Peter can walk on it.

Sorry we do not have any more photos, but our computer crashed due to a power surge 5 weeks ago and we lost everything as it had to be reset to the factory default settings.

We are delighted with Shania - we are currently in the East Mediterranean. She is strong and on the odd occasion we happen to be going the same way as the wind, sails well. The previous owners were also very happy with her and we have remained in touch. Please pass on our regards to Dave Johnson if you are still in contact with him.

Quote Originally Posted by tidalstreams View Post
    .... fixed GRP cockpit roof made for our sunrise 36' in Levkada, Greece. It will have a sliding hatch so we can see our mast.
    If that hatch is primarily made from acrylic, you will be ble to see even when it is raining and you want to close the roof.

The wheelhouse roof in my 9m Catalac uses this - sited above the wheel, and it makes a big difference in being able to see what is happening.
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

Hi

It is indeed a small world. My Sunrise "White Fin" was built at the same time in 1999. Dave and I worked together on the two boats. (I ended up being involved in the building of 8 Solaris at the time, 6 Sunrises and 2 Sunstars). I have gone a little soft on your hard top as Ionian Composites do not have a mould and inform me it weighs 110kg! I am at the moment trying to keep my boat as light as possible for all the normal reasons. However it has inspired me as many cats are going the hard top way. I might wait until my current rag top is UV'd out by the Spanish sun.

Prior to building White Fin I owned 2 other Sunrise's. My first one is still in Hasslar Marina where she has been since 1993 with the original owner.

I find she sails well in a breeze. I was doing consistently 7.5 Kts sailing out of Cap D'Adge often 9Kts until Costa Brava when the wind died. For the money she is a crackingly good boat and very hard to equal. I would have to spend twice as much for a high freeboard French cat.

Regards Roger Morgan

I have finally made my bimini after thinking about it for 4 years !
    I made a frame up in 25mm s/s tube then slid over 40mm ali tubing which makes it look and feel more substantial . I then used my old trampoline mesh to make the shade , a simple re- cut and edge . It is black and quite a tight weave and it works really well . added bonus is that the wind coming down off the main gives a nice breeze through the mesh . very pleased with it .
    I didn,t get where I am today by being somewhere else !

Graham
    Pictures please

Also you might appreciate my mates new car with his wife beside him, bit of a dog though

Also note the Dutch house in the back ground, this is part of Topsham's (about 3 miles from me) heritage, lots of Dutch seafarers lived here along with William of Orange.

Quote Originally Posted by gramos View Post
    I have finally made my bimini after thinking about it for 4 years !
    I made a frame up in 25mm s/s tube then slid over 40mm ali tubing which makes it look and feel more substantial . I then used my old trampoline mesh to make the shade , a simple re- cut and edge . It is black and quite a tight weave and it works really well . added bonus is that the wind coming down off the main gives a nice breeze through the mesh . very pleased with it .
    Attached Images Attached Images

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Ian, love the Austin Healey - although like you, I'm not so sure about your mate's travelling companion.

Brad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12