Thread: Sunstar Mainsheet Travellers

Default Sunstar Mainsheet Travellers

Can any Sunstar 32 or 36 owner please tell me what make, size and set up of mainsheet traveller they have on their boats.

Thanks

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Default Re: Sunstar Mainsheet Travellers

Ian, was it originally fitted with a traveller or a mainsheet bridle system? My Sunstream 40 (admittedliy a very different boat) has a bridle and I must say, I have become a big fan of the design for catamarans.

Regardless, another manufacturer you may want to consider is Garhauer - very high quality S/S blocks at very reasonable prices (as you can still buy direct from the manufacturer). I have used them on my last two boats and am very satisfied.

Brad

Hi Brad
    Thanks, my boat originally had an Aerorig and therefore no traveller only 2 'U' bolts on the saloon roof for the mainsheet attachment.

She currently has another 2 'U' bolts on the rear beam about 3 feet apart, so when the main is out the sheet cuts across the cockpit and takes off peoples heads, and the control of the main is not good on anything more than a close reach, hence my desire for a traveller.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
    Ian, was it originally fitted with a traveller or a mainsheet bridle system? My Sunstream 40 (admittedliy a very different boat) has a bridle and I must say, I have become a big fan of the design for catamarans.

Regardless, another manufacturer you may want to consider is Garhauer - very high quality S/S blocks at very reasonable prices (as you can still buy direct from the manufacturer). I have used them on my last two boats and am very satisfied.

Brad

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=34

Ian, here are some traveler systems by Garhauer - you can speck out the blocks for strength elsewhere on the site. I think they are a terrific product and, as you are buying direct from the manufacturer, the prices are typically quite a bit lower.

Brad

Ian, looking at the prices of those travellers, I would find a way of using your 'U' bolts!

Travellers like that make gypsies look cheap (think about it!)

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

I've been using Barton blocks for the last 18ys no problems as yet.

Ian, what about installing new ubolts with backing plates at a location further aft, so that you can use a bridle arrangement with end-boom sheeting? It would certainly be a cost saver (just check out the costs of main fiddle blocks with swivels and cleats on Garhauer for a comparison).

Frankly, I am a big fan of bridles on cats:

1. the wider spacing available allows excellent control of the sail shape without a traveller; indeed, if the ubolts are mounted out towards the rails, it is wider and therefore more effective than the average traveler.
    2. the leeward bridle works well as a boom vang and again, due to the wider available spacing on a cat, allows vang-type pressure to flatten the sail on anything except a run.
    3. unlike a boom vang, the leeward bridle does not put stress on the boom at a location that is further forward, reducing the risk of broken booms.
    4. on most boats, the extra available width allows the bridle to be rigged so as not to interfere with the cockpit; further, one can usually achieve end-boom sheeting without concerns about the location of the traveler interfering with the deck layout.

Typically just before I tack, I slack off on the leeward sheet sufficiently to allow it to function as the windward sheet after the tack. This also allows the sail to center itself and depower during the tack, thereby reducing weather-cocking. After the tack is complete, I then tighten the (now) leeward sheet to flatten the sail and fine tune, if necessary, the (now) leeward sheet (vang). Pretty simple, really.

Brad

SouthernStar, does that mean you have two separate main sheets, rather than a single sheet passing from port, to the boom and down to starboard.

How is yours configured please?

Mike

Hi Brad

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately I cannot site anything further aft as the rear cross beam is at the aft extremity of the boat except the 2 sugar scoops.

Attached picture shows the boom with bridle mainsheet and attachment at the 2 U bolts, it also shows you the SS framework which is my davits, radar, TV, GPS and various other bits arch, which could also stand some solar panels.

I hope you can work the picture out
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ian,

Do you have a flat surface to build a traveler to? The pic is a bit deceiving but it looks like you will be bolting on a curved surface and will have the unit other than parallel to the boom?
    This could build up the load on the lower bearings on the car a bit and you might think of a one up on the size. (I know that cars usually have side loading at the outer ends but you may be going over angle if you try to mount the thing other than level.) Or will you need to go crazy trying to get it level all the way across the cockpit with brackets or glass build up?

John
    "The floggings will continue until morale improves"!

Ian, would it not be much easier to put two diagonal cross braces on the stainless steel structure, and put a traveller on the top of that. It looks strong enough.

Mike

Alternatively, you could mount ubolts from the outside base for the davits. In that way it would not interefere with access to the boat from the stern ladder and would still provide a width equal to the widest traveller that you could mount. No, it wouldn't be end-boom sheeting (it appears to extend aft of the bridgedeck), but with a couple of bales mounted at the aft part of the boom it would be very close to end-boom sheeting. In any event, you will also need to use bales for a traveler.

Brad

Hi John
    Yes I could fix a 45mm wide traveller onto the flat part (pic attached) this is taking into account of the current 'U' bolts and the SS arch bases that are mounted on the beam.

Quote Originally Posted by jkd View Post
    Ian,

Do you have a flat surface to build a traveler to? The pic is a bit deceiving but it looks like you will be bolting on a curved surface and will have the unit other than parallel to the boom?
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mike
    I had thought of this and therefore having the traveller up high and pretty much out of the way.

Althought the davit/arch assembly is strong enough for the dinghy, outboard and other bits, 'WE' not the royal we, have decided that it is probably not strong enough, ie if I encountered an uncontrolled jibe in very strong winds for any reason, I would be concerned that I might lose the whole lot , so I will be sticking to the cross beam and fixed at 100mm intervals

Quote Originally Posted by dmmbruce View Post
    Ian, would it not be much easier to put two diagonal cross braces on the stainless steel structure, and put a traveller on the top of that. It looks strong enough.

Mike

Thanks Brad
    I will have to look more closely at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
    Alternatively, you could mount ubolts from the outside base for the davits. In that way it would not interefere with access to the boat from the stern ladder and would still provide a width equal to the widest traveller that you could mount. No, it wouldn't be end-boom sheeting (it appears to extend aft of the bridgedeck), but with a couple of bales mounted at the aft part of the boom it would be very close to end-boom sheeting. In any event, you will also need to use bales for a traveler.

Brad