Thread: Voyage 430

Question Voyage 430

Hi,

I am considering 1998 voyage 430 and I got a negative comment of the
    boat about upwind performance and banging, leak from hatch in high seas.
    In conclusion, it looks good for coastal cruising under 25knt of wind, but not ocean passage.

Anyone have the experience of the boat under high seas, stormy seas ?

Default Re: Voyage 430

I chartered a 430 in St. Vincent & Grenadines.

Upwind in 20 - 25 with 6 - 9 foot waves was disconcerting to say the least. The entire salon area was vibrating and the windward side of the cockpit was a great place to be for a salt water bath!

One of our crew was asleep (he's one of those who can sleep nearly anywhere) on the salon settee and he was vibrated onto the floor - a rude awakening!

Now it could be that the boat was built to take it, but I was glad we didn't have far to go that day.

Fair Winds,
    Mike

I own a V440 and have been in the same wave conditions and there is no cat that will not pound in 10 ft seas. I have lived aboard for 5 years full time and I can count on 1 finger when it was pounding hard, and I was driving the boat very hard. You will spend 99% of your time in calm seas or at anchor so don't let the pounding issue stop you from buying any cat. Any one who says their cat does not pound is lying or does not sail it very much. Voyage makes a great cat and they are great live aboard boats.

Question Re: Voyage 430

Thank you RobV440, Yoga O, for your comment.

Rov V440,
    You have bee in the boat for 5 years and I guess you have faced tough sea conditions many times.
    May I have your opinion about the following comment which I got from other owner of V430 ?
    ----------------------------
    The boat seems to be very stable and handles wind up to 25 mph well. Over 25 mph the engines (27HP) will not power into wind and can be a problem in handling. The low profile of the boat does allow the boat to bang, sometimes quite violently to the point, I lost both trampolines because of the waves breaking the sail slides. I have had to replace both trampolines and replaces the plastic sail slides with stainless steel to try to avoid this happening again. In 12' seas and 20 kt. wind on the nose so we could not raise the sails, the bouncing was so bad that both chain plates fractured the fiberglass and are currently being re-fiberglassed. On an older boat, be sure the hatch seals work properly IN ROUGH SEAS. Mine did fine until water began breaking over the top of the boat and then all the forward beds got soaked. The replacement seals are special and hard to find.
    --------------------------------

Thank you in advance for your comment.
    Sincerely yours

Sushisailor

Quote Originally Posted by RobV440 View Post
    I own a V440 and have been in the same wave conditions and there is no cat that will not pound in 10 ft seas. I have lived aboard for 5 years full time and I can count on 1 finger when it was pounding hard, and I was driving the boat very hard. You will spend 99% of your time in calm seas or at anchor so don't let the pounding issue stop you from buying any cat. Any one who says their cat does not pound is lying or does not sail it very much. Voyage makes a great cat and they are great live aboard boats.
    While all cats pound to some degree the higher bridgedeck cats pound less. The Gemini 3200 we owned pounded in a slight chop while at anchor were our Seawind 1000 rarely pounds. There is more to pounding than just bridgedeck height, protrusions hanging under the bridgedeck and the shape of the bridgedeck make a big difference. Our Solaris Sunstar only had 20" of clearance but rarely pounded because of the radius design of the bridgedeck.

I would have to say that depending on the wave period, most boats would have an extremely hard time raising the main in 12' seas and 20+ knot winds.

Where are you sailing, or hoping to sail?

Fair Winds,
    Mike

We have lived full time on our 2004 Voyage 440 for the past 2 1/2 years in the Caribbean. We've sailed up/down the E. Caribe island chain twice, Bonaire to Puerto Rico, Curacao to Cartegena, Panama to Isla Mujeres via, Honduras and Belize, back down to Panama. Next year we are heading across the South Pacific and beyond.
    One of our best sails was from Bonaire to Puerto Rico; 2 days close hauled in 15-20 knots and 6-8' seas. We had one reef and were doing 7-8 knots, until we cracked off onto a broad reach for the last 10 hours and blasted along at 10 knots. Fabulous! And we've had lots more. Yes, if we are heading straight into steep seas over 3-4' we do get some bridgedeck slamming, but as pointed out previously, all cats will slam to some extent. Voyage cats are built very solidly and we never worry about any structural damage. We have sailed on a popular french cat and though it had higher bridgedeck clearance, when it slammed the whole boat reverberated like a drum. There are many factors affecting bridgedeck slamming in addition to height, including distance between the hulls, radius/shape of the transition from the hulls to the bridgedeck and means of dissipating wave energy as they meet between the hulls - the Voyages have the strakes or ribs.
    We have Lewmar Ocean series hatches and they are totally watertight. We did have a bit of a leak around our stbd saloon window, which I fixed easily with Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure (yes, that's the actual name of the product - excellent stuff).
    We have broken sliders on our trampolines when going to weather in steep seas. I think the original Voyage nets are too closed (about 35% open), and I believe Voyage has now gone to thinner webbing to improve this. We are planning to replace ours with Dyneema netting.
    What we particularly like about our Voyage 440 is the following:
    Engines and fuel tank completely isolated from living spaces,
    Aft walk-way makes loading stores so easy, and great for diving etc,
    Boom derrick for dinghy lift - a brilliant design feature,
    Skeg hung rudders,
    Low windage,
    Sturdy rig,
    Sailing ability (we can point 42 AWA, but generally crack off 5 degrees or so for comfort)
    Wide transom steps and sturdy swim ladder make boarding easy, even in dive gear,
    Design and execution of electrical system,
    General layout, especially galley up, is very easy to live in (we have owner's version),
    Huge freezer and fridge,
    Overall quality of build and components.

This may sound like an advertisement, but we have no intention of selling our boat for at least 5 years. After living and cruising full time on our Voyage, we can honestly say that we have not seen another production cat that we would rather have (except maybe the new Voyage 520!).

Cheers,
    Derek Gale
    s/v Idyll Island
    www.idyllisland.blogspot.com

Smile Re: Voyage 430

Thank you Derek. I will use your comment in my decision making.
    Thank you.
    Keep enjoying your voyage.

Sincerely yours
    Sushisailor

I agree with Derek Gale. I own a 2002 Voyage 440 (bought new) and have about 80,000 miles on it. It is inconceivable to drive a boat so hard as to tear the chainplates off of the boat. Possibly the rig wasn't tuned properly, and the boat loaded out of balance. 20 knots of wind doesn't produce 12 foot waves, so there is more to the story than has been presented. Bottom line: Voyage builds a very strong boat, with well thought out systems. It's single flaw is a low bridgedeck, but raising that would introduce a whole new list of compromises.

I am late reading this, Sushi. The 27hp shall still drive you to windward in much worse conditions than you mentioned. The trampolines can be punched out on any cat - many ocean cruising cats change to nets for this reason and overlay these with a mesh when in better conditions. I do not for minute accept that the chainplates broke the GRP unless someone over tensioned the rigging and even then its rather unlikely - perhaps possible on one chainplate but not two. This is still rather far fetched. As for the hatch seals - our last Voyage used standard Lewmar Ocean hatches. - there is nothing special about these and are not hard to obtain. It sounds as though someone is/was attampting to pull the wool over your eyes.